CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 10-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #11
Justin Metts

Profile:
Re: Do Not Crossfit When Sick!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
CF plus primal/paleo diet = way to never get sick again
Agreed. I haven't gotten sick since I started crossfit save that one time in question and like I said I don't think it ever went full blown. Though I also supplement polyphenols which I'm sure has alot to do with it.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #12
Departed

Profile:

There is something very contagious going around my school, and being in a fraternity with 50 people doesn't help much. I never get sick, but it unfortunately happened to me. And my father, a doctor, said the condition I was in was a precursor to a heat stroke and that if I had pushed any harder it could have happened.

But deadlift max isn't a terrible idea!!! Gym here I come!!!

Oh wait, I'm contagious . Should I go in with a mask on? I am more than willing as long as I get some kool-aid!
Old 10-03-2009, 07:12 AM   #13
Matt Melton

Profile:

it's sorta been said already but, yea, hi intensity exercise depresses the immune system for a while during and immediately afterwards + during max cardio respiration, the permeability of the lungs increases which allows the infection to get deeper into the lungs.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #14
Kevin Daigle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sharp View Post
You just described how I felt after Helen and I'm perfectly healthy. Helen is a terrible idea when you're sick.
I've also done Helen sick, it was in the spring some time I think....did it in 9:30 which was a big PR but I was SICK. BAD IDEA. Took me a week to recover
Old 10-06-2009, 10:43 PM   #15
George Nesrallah

Profile:

Last week got a cold and decided to take a few days off until I started feeling better. Well I went back to the gym and I now have sinusitis (which is keeping me up at night and killing my immune system even more). I have no idea how long I am staing out of the gym but just the thought is driving me nuts.

The lesson for me is when I get sick I'm gonna sit on my butt (when time permits), eat super clean and get better in a hurry.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:06 AM   #16
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Take a few days off and focus on getting more sleep. Your already in a fatigued state, why go even further into exhaustion?

Rest and massage do wonders for me when I am feeling run down. I generally don't take more than a few days off depending on the severity of the cold.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #17
Ed Haywood

Profile:

My own general experience from 25 years as a military athlete:

In the early stages of a virus, working out is a bad idea. Sore throat, headache, and fever are reasons to rest and take fluids/vitamins.

Once your body has responded and the virus has run its course, exercise can help clear up the congestion in your head and chest by accelerating the natural processes of expectoration and respiration.

Your body will tell you what intensity you can handle. For head congestion, hard metcon is ok IMO. With chest congestion, it's probably smart to take it easy and just do light to moderate metcon. If the weather is conducive, getting outdoors in the sunlight and fresh air seems to help too.

None of the above is doctor's advice, just that of a semi-old man who has learned the hard way.

And like the others said, if you are sick be considerate of others and stay out of the gym until you are well.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #18
Kevin Daigle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Haywood View Post
My own general experience from 25 years as a military athlete:

In the early stages of a virus, working out is a bad idea. Sore throat, headache, and fever are reasons to rest and take fluids/vitamins.

Once your body has responded and the virus has run its course, exercise can help clear up the congestion in your head and chest by accelerating the natural processes of expectoration and respiration.

Your body will tell you what intensity you can handle. For head congestion, hard metcon is ok IMO. With chest congestion, it's probably smart to take it easy and just do light to moderate metcon. If the weather is conducive, getting outdoors in the sunlight and fresh air seems to help too.

None of the above is doctor's advice, just that of a semi-old man who has learned the hard way.

And like the others said, if you are sick be considerate of others and stay out of the gym until you are well.
100% agreed
Old 10-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #19
Steven Low

Profile:

Finally you guys are catching on. I hate having to say this everytime a thread like this comes up.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #20
Stuart Buck

Profile:

FYI: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/1...t-immunity/?em sfw