CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 10-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
Departed

Profile:

Do Not Crossfit When Sick!!!!!

Today, I had a very heavy cold. But I couldn't not do Helen. So I got to my school track, it was already hard to breathe, and did the WOD. It also happened to be the first time i ran in about two years, not including the one time i jogged 3 miles and somehow got a stress fracture in my left foot.

Anyways, at the end of the WOD, I felt terrible. It was an aweful struggle walking home (left the kettleball hidden at the track). I laid down on my couch and delirium set in. I couldn't move, not my legs, not my head. I couldn't keep my eyes open. I couldn't talk, and I could not breathe heavily at all. I still feel like crap, but after some sudafed and excedrin, I feel a bit better.

DAMN YOU KOOL-AID!!!! Hopefully I'll feel better by tomorrow because I will not have learned my lesson . Hopefully you guys will before it's too late.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
Andrew Sharp

Profile:
Re: Do Not Crossfit When Sick!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Cedarbaum View Post
Anyways, at the end of the WOD, I felt terrible. It was an aweful struggle walking home (left the kettleball hidden at the track). I laid down on my couch and delirium set in. I couldn't move, not my legs, not my head. I couldn't keep my eyes open. I couldn't talk, and I could not breathe heavily at all.
You just described how I felt after Helen and I'm perfectly healthy. Helen is a terrible idea when you're sick.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:33 AM   #3
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

I did Helen sick as a dog the other day and I felt the same as when I'm healthy. It's a horrible workout regardless, but at least you manned up and did it. I actually worked out some of the sickness I think, and I definitely loosened up some deep phlem.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:56 AM   #4
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Tarasevich View Post
I did Helen sick as a dog the other day and I felt the same as when I'm healthy. It's a horrible workout regardless, but at least you manned up and did it. I actually worked out some of the sickness I think, and I definitely loosened up some deep phlem.
agreed. if i'm sick, but well enough to walk around on my own...I'll work out at 1/2 intensity. It usually does good things for me, not bad
Old 10-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

I did Helen when sick and was only about 20 seconds slower than my previous time. Of course, we won't talk about the lung I left by the side of the road on the last run.

I think it really depends on how sick you are. Making your lungs work can help clear out accumulated gunk, or the extra effort can flatten you for days, depending.

Katherine
Old 10-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
Randy Hill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Cedarbaum View Post
(left the kettleball hidden at the track).\.
Where is this school? I feel like walking around the track a bit.. No reason..
Old 10-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
Justin Metts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post

I think it really depends on how sick you are. Making your lungs work can help clear out accumulated gunk, or the extra effort can flatten you for days, depending.
THIS!

First time I ever did any type of workout was fran. I felt like crap but could walk and go to work so I felt like punishing myself for getting so far gone the weekend before(was convinced my party/cheat was what did it). There was also a small hurricane going on outside that day. Very thick air and hard to breathe. I barely got though the workout but after I did even though I was weak, I felt better mentally. The next day I woke up feeling much better cold was gone and it never really had reached what felt like a normally full blown virus for me.

CF: the cure for the common cold?
Old 10-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Do not do a Metcon when sick. Do not come to an affiliate when contagious.

But having a flu or a cold is actually a great excuse to max out on the deadlift. Warmup thoroughly, work up to a heavy single, crawl back into bed. It's low, low volume, won't mess up your respiratory system, and allows you to get your workout jones on without making things worse.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #9
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Metts View Post
THIS!

First time I ever did any type of workout was fran. I felt like crap but could walk and go to work so I felt like punishing myself for getting so far gone the weekend before(was convinced my party/cheat was what did it). There was also a small hurricane going on outside that day. Very thick air and hard to breathe. I barely got though the workout but after I did even though I was weak, I felt better mentally. The next day I woke up feeling much better cold was gone and it never really had reached what felt like a normally full blown virus for me.

CF: the cure for the common cold?
CF plus primal/paleo diet = way to never get sick again
Old 10-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
Tom Seryak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Do not do a Metcon when sick. Do not come to an affiliate when contagious.

But having a flu or a cold is actually a great excuse to max out on the deadlift. Warmup thoroughly, work up to a heavy single, crawl back into bed. It's low, low volume, won't mess up your respiratory system, and allows you to get your workout jones on without making things worse.
+1. Intense exercise decreases immune function. So, when you are sick, you are not doing yourself any favors by doing intense metcons. With that being said, I have found that doing a lighter metcon at about 50-60% effort can sometimes help, but it is definitely walking a fine line.