CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-29-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
John Cheairs

Profile:
Howdy all. I'm completely new to this, and so I'm looking for some advice. I've been doing tradational weightlifting for 2 years now with little success, and before that I did cross country and distance track. I'm now getting into triathlons and would like to train for them while adding power to my legs for cycling. I'd also like to increase my strength overall, but after reading up and following bodybuilding doctrine, I'm unsure as to how I can do this. Endurance and gaining muscle strength seem to be at odds, but this program embraces both, and I'd really like to incorporate crossfit into my training, but I dont quite know how. Well, thanks for reading my obligatory newbie post.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:28 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Tabata Squats - Go stand in front of a clock with a sweep second hand. At the 12 knock out as many but to ankle squats as you can in 20 seconds. All the way down and all the way back up to straight legs and hips forward - don't just boink your hips up an down, squat to just parallel or rock up on your toes. Stay heavy on the heels. You get 10 seconds off then go again for a total of 8 sets. That's 2:40 of work and 1:20 of rest and 4 minutes of total time spent with the movement. It will smoke you. Your score is the lowest count for all 8 sets. If you do 22 on the first one and one of them is only 6, your score is 6. You will improve your strength/endurance with this and it is great for your cycling legs. The objective is max effort as what you are looking to do is improve your next score...not this one. Each time you do it hard-hard-hard you will be better on the next one. Average out your work effort, try to pace yourself or otherwise try to improve the one you are doing right then and you ruin the next one. Your best route to improvement is max effort for each set. Killer leg work.

What is at odds John is not strong legs that have great endurance but rather how it is that endurance can best be developed. Please do not get stuck in the belief that endurance is built through LSD work. It is to some degree, and of course you need your base and recovery miles at that lighter workload, but you can bet that as Graham Obree's coach once said, "If you don't go 30, you won't go 30." Your high intensity efforts (Spinervals is a fantastic indoor training resource for your winter season riding) will build strength and endurance with lactate creating hammer sessions. You'll do high cadence work, crank bending big gear work, one leg technique peddling and TT's on the bike but you'll want to do some deadlifts, squats and other strength work as well.

How you put CF into your training program has much to do with your fitness level and how much training you can tolerate. If you are already doing 3 workouts per sport per week and especially if you are training for Iron distance races...CF might put you right over the top and not allow enough recovery time. However, is you don't go past Olympic distance, CF is perfect and you'll have a great 2007.

Follow the WOD, learn how to do the movements with perfect execution and jump on in. Welcome aboard and hammer on.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
John Cheairs

Profile:
Sounds good. I have another question though. What are the general sentiments about pre and post workout nutrition? Are carb/protein drinks good for these kind of workouts?
Old 12-01-2006, 04:19 PM   #4
Ronnie Boose

Profile:
John,
Develop a healthy diet for 24 hours a day, and the time immediately before and after a workout will take care of itself. If you get the opportunity contact Laurie miller @ CF St. Louis. I think she does the triathalon thing also.