CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #1
Phillip James

Profile:
Bumper plate university question

Hello everyone!

I'm a university student training out of our campus fitness center. The university used to have bumper plates and weightlifting platforms available for student use.

Long story short, the equipment was moved around to various gym locations on campus until it was placed on a 2nd story facility.

Over a short time, the loads of barbells being dropped damaged the floor/ceiling. Since then, the bumper plates, platforms, and barbells have disappeared.

It has been 2 years since the incident and I would like to try talking to the staff about possibly bringing this equipment back for student use, however, with greater detail placed on it's location.

How should I go about talking to them and what should I say?

Thank you for any help you can give me!
Old 10-01-2014, 11:44 PM   #2
Steven Thunander

Profile:
Re: Bumper plate university question

First thing's first. You will want to get as much detail on why they moved the platforms in the first place. You will also want to know if they still have the equipment stored somewhere or if they sold it off. Finally, you will need to know if others are interested in using it (other than the athletic department), as they will not pull it out or purchase unless there is a strong enough demand for it. If there is enough demand on campus, consider starting a club to use the equipment and use segregated fees to get additional equipment.

As far as talking to the powers that be, first gather the above information and find out how interested other students are about oly lifting and/or CrossFit (Functional Fitness). A Registered Student Organization for that purpose would go a LONG way in showing the powers that be that there is student interest and a commitment to safety which could be enough to get them to pull the equipment out, purchase more, or allow you to purchase it out of your organizations funds.

However, most college gym goers are either cardio bunnies (women) or beach bodybuilders who curl in the squat rack, unless they are CrossFitters, athletes, or dedicated lifters. And those are few and far in between on campus from my experience (2009-2012 at UW-Milwaukee). However each campus is different so there is nothing wrong with trying.