CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
Hunter Echols

Profile:
Pull-up Bar Coming Loose

Have a quick question for everyone...

I have installed a pull-up bar in my garage gym. It is 3/4" galvanized pipe and is connected to the joists in the ceiling via a 2x6 and some lag bolts. I'm about 6'2" and 215 lbs and the bar supports my weight without any problem. Have a buddy that is 6'4" and he kips on it without an issue either.

My problem is that one side of the pull-up bar, where the 12" piece connects to the flange (that is screwed in to the 2x6), it comes loose from the flange after about 2 weeks worth of use. I have unscrewed the flange and tightened it once, and then put it back up. However, I don't want to keep doing this, as I have to screw it in to a new spot on the 2x6 each time. The other side hasn't come loose at all, and is still very strong.

My question is...should I get a new 12" piece of pipe that goes from the flange to the elbow (since the other side hasn't come loose...thinking it may be just a badly threaded pipe) or should I move up to a thicker pipe altogether? I have been thinking about going to at least a 1", or 1.25" diameter pipe. I hope my question makes sense. It's driving me nuts and i definitely want to be as safe as I possibly can.

Thank you in advance!
Old 04-06-2009, 12:07 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Pull-up Bar Coming Loose

Are the two ends threaded in the same direction, or opposite?

It sounds like the kipping action may be tightening one end of the bar while loosening the other. If both ends have normal right-hand threading and the flanges are fixed in place, then turning the bar towards you will turn the left end counterclockwise (looser) relative to its flange, but the right end clockwise (tighter) relative to *its* flange.

If that's the case, the cure is to reverse-thread the loose end, or to weld the flanges. A temporary workaround might be to work on alternating sides of the bar, so that you kip in both directions, but I wouldn't trust that for the long term.

On edit: or am I visualizing it wrong? Is the bar itself coming loose, or the piece that drops down from the ceiling?

Katherine

Last edited by Katherine Derbyshire; 04-06-2009 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: confusion
Old 04-06-2009, 05:20 AM   #3
Hunter Echols

Profile:

Katherine-

It's the piece that comes down from the ceiling. The 2x6 is attached to the ceiling via 4 lag bolts. Then the flange is attached to the 2x6, and I have a 12" piece of pipe coming down from the flange to an elbow, where the bar attaches that I do the pull-ups. The actual 12" piece that is attached to the flange is coming loose.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:18 AM   #4
Andy Gann

Profile:

Hunter,

If the flange is attached to the 2 x 6 by wood screws then you might want to consider one of two options ...

1 - Get another short piece of 2 x 6 to go on the opposite side of the original 2 x 6 from the flange and use 3 1/2 inch screws to go through the flange, through the first 2 x 6 and then into the 2nd piece of 2 x6 on the back side.

2 - You could get some bolts to go through the flange and 2 x 6 with a lock nut on the other side.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
Eric Stewart

Profile:

*** All links WFS ***

You might try a thread locking product.

There are other brands, and Loctite makes many different compounds for a variety of applications.

I know Lowes and Home Depot have this type of product, auto parts and industrial fastener supply stores should as well.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
Hunter Echols

Profile:

Thanks Eric. I am going to give that a try. My garage gym is coming along...i need to get some pictures up sometime soon.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
Henry Miller

Profile:

I suggest you weld both joints (get a good welder to do this, and make sure you ask about hardening issues before you do this). Pipe thread was never meant to take the weight of someone doing a pull-up. It mostly works, but it is asking for trouble.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
Hunter Echols

Profile:

Henry-

Do you think I should go to a thicker pipe (1" or 1.25") instead of the .75" for safety reasons?
Old 04-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #9
Robert Flynn

Profile:

Are you really tightening it all the way? Use a cartoon-like pipe wrench and get it all the way down, when I put mine together I remember banging the pipe wrench with a mallet to get it tight enough.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:51 PM   #10
Hunter Echols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Flynn View Post
Are you really tightening it all the way? Use a cartoon-like pipe wrench and get it all the way down, when I put mine together I remember banging the pipe wrench with a mallet to get it tight enough.
Yeah, it's extremely tight. The other side has been solid and not come loose once. When i take it down to put the lock tight on there, I will make sure that i get it EXTREMELY tight.

Thank you everyone for your help!