CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
Mark Daniels

Profile:
Outdoor pullup/ring station in Uk

I know this has been done to death and have read al the threads I can find., but i thought I would share my project as it progresses and get all the help i can.

Being in the uk we dont have home depot selling 16ft lengths of pressurised timber.

Instead I have a telegraph pole measuring 28ft

Plan is dig 2 holes 4st deep - cut telegraph pole in half - sink in concrete and put pole at about 9.5 ft

Only problem is cant seem to find any suppliers of 1.5 inch internal diameter galvanised steel and flanges to make bar. anyone know any uk suppliers?

Was also thinking of digging a shallow trench just below ground level and put another pole between to make more rigid

So far holes dug - good functional workout and telegraph poles going in 1st dry weekend just need bar and fixings

Last edited by Mark Daniels; 03-30-2009 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: error
Old 03-30-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
James Bailey

Profile:
Re: Outdoor pullup/ring station in Uk

Try trade plumbing suppliers or scaffolding suppliers...they are your best bet I think...
Old 03-31-2009, 03:29 AM   #3
Gavin Steel

Profile:

Mark...have you tried local metal merchants, they would have both pipe at a rate cheaper than B&Q (wouldn't be hard) and may stock flanges also.

Failing that you could try a local blacksmith....give them dimensions you need and they could knock something up for you, shouldn't cost too much.

Even better than all of that if you have access to a welding machine (and the ability to weld....) then find some scaffold bar, cut to length then buy a bit of flat bar. All you need to do is weld the flat bar onto the ends of the pipe and drill holes for bolts. Thats what I did for my pull up bar in my garage and its solid....cost me next to nothing to make as i have the tools. Saves the hassle of trying to source flanges, which knowing the UK will be the dearest part of the project!!!

If there's any building sites near you chance your arm and ask for a length of scaffold pipe, even a rusty bit that could be cleaned and painted....may get it as a freebie...you never know.

Good luck and happy bodging.....
Old 03-31-2009, 10:06 AM   #4
Mark Daniels

Profile:

Great idea about the scaffolding pipe and welding - would be all the more satisfying as would have cost me nothing as telegraph pole free.

Have dug the holes already see the pic of me and the other digger in the holes on my workout log looking very satisfied.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...t=44055&page=2

The other diggers father has welding gear and lives next door so looks like I'm sorted.

Will post a progress report and photo of the next stage telegraph poles in the 4ft holes and concreting for time!
Old 04-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
Mark Daniels

Profile:

Latest plan after I went around all the pipe centres i could find - only sell 20 ft lengths and B&Q - obviously no luck there! is to straighten my old olympic bar that i bent and use that.

2 possible problems - the bar will rotate - will this make kipping easier - less blisters, or harder as less resistance to push off.

The second problem is that will need to cut 6in off each end and am wondering if will be strong enough as have seen videos of bars snapping where bar joins the sleeve bit