CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-27-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
Jacob Petrey

Profile:
Sculpting & Shaping CF routines

HI!
I am pretty new to crossfit and just wanted to say that the idea of combining body weight exercies with those yummy bursts of cardio is the best way to get in shape.
But what i need to know is what exercises would help me lose that little layer of flab that is hiding my abs(lol) so i get them much desired core.
I would also like to learn about what i should eat/drink before a work out, the know on supplements( improve results faster, or just hype?), and which food for proteins that are common and don't require some trip the store with a paycheck.
I am very interested in pull/chin ups. They are my favorite. I do those and i also do about 3000 yard swim 4-5 times a week along with 100 push ups every morning. How long would it take to get a sculpted and awesome physique? I am looking at a period of about 85 days to do this and i have all 7 days of the week. I have limited weights/machines to use and can't make it to a gym. what i do have is:
Pull up bar
bench press
25lb. dumbells x2
back yard and feild?

thanks for reading this and even if you don't post. I really want those biceps,bulit back, and abs.

Summery: I'm a total N00b at knowing what to do and need to know what to eat and exercises that will get me sculpted abs/big-toned arms in about a 3month period. limited supplys.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Sculpting & Shaping CF routines

Jacob;

CF not for you.

Better off at T Nation. You'll get your Bi's and Ab's in a few weeks, great Supplements, they really work. If they still offer the Dried Virgin Lamb's Blood Powder, buy it ASAP, guaranteed to work, or your money back.

See link to T-Nation.

Not work or family safe as there are pic's of big arms and ripped ab's not wearing much clothes.

http://www.t-nation.com/
Old 05-27-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
Oliver Gould

Profile:

You are really in the wrong place. Crossfit is about performance, following the Crossfit routines will get you in shape for sports, fighting and life. Most Crossfitters follow the philosophy that getting a sculpted body is the result of fitness, not the end of it. This takes a long time, since developing real fitness takes a long time.

You would probably be better off following a bodybuilding program and eating according to that. Alternately, you could do Crossfit (follow the WOD on the main site) and the Zone diet (check the nutritional forum and CF journal 21). Be very strict on the Zone and stick with favorable foods. Get plenty of sleep, take fish oil (its the only really useful supplement), kill yourself on the workouts (you'll have to sub exercises because of your situation) and pay close attention to your form. You may not get quite as "sculpted" as you planned on, but you might enjoy getting fitter and the body you end up with will be useful as well as pretty.

Good luck!
Old 05-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
Jacob Petrey

Profile:

ok maybe i should of detailed this more. lol.
i DO want to get fit and I DO want to have more endurance then the average person and i DO want to be fit for any situation i was just asking about pacifc routines that focus directing on sculpting and shaping i.e. title of thread.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Re read post #2
Old 05-27-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

CF doesn't HAVE specific sculpting & shaping routines. If you want to look like a guy who does CF, put in your time doing CF. If you want to look like a guy who does sculpting & shaping, you've really got to find that bit somewhere else.
85 days is plenty of time to see CF results.
As for seeing your abs, I think what you'll hear (or read, if you do a search, hint hint) is "diet diet DIET".
Old 05-27-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

Jacob:

Seriously, (a) welcome!, and (b) you need to do a LOT more reading before posting . . . really.

CrossFit will probably give you a decent-looking physique, but that comes as a side benefit. There literally is no place in the system that anyone can point you to that will produce specific "toning" or "shaping" benefits. Likely, your whole body will shape up nicely, and, even more so if you control your appetite.

Can I suggest that you actually read the FAQ, review the free materials and the stuff at the "Start Here!" links from the main page?

(And, maybe learn to type in complete sentences with real punctuation?)
Old 05-27-2008, 01:33 PM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Wow guys, give the guy a break!

Jacob, just try the crossfit workouts and peruse the nutrition threads. Work on performance and the physique will come.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #9
Stephen Smith

Profile:

Jacob, you WILL get appearance results from doing crossfit, but like everyone else is saying, it's a byproduct of the fitness, not completely a goal unto itself. (but anyone who tells you that vanity isn't somewhat of a factor is probably lying to you and/or themselves...).

Sure, you should read the 'getting started' and 'FAQ' sections, but I totally understand that premature posting is more often a result of overenthusiasm than any malice on the poster's part.

As far as the results you want, Crossfit will put muscle on you for sure, but probably not as quickly as a heavy bodybuilding program. You'll be in a lot better shape at the end of it though. To get sculpted, it's all about the diet. Read up on the zone and follow it tightly, and you will drop fat. That being said, Crossfit + Zone will probably get you more favorable results in both areas simultaneously than just about anything else you could do...
Old 05-27-2008, 02:47 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

DIET + Sleep = body composition change 90%

Exercise will help. 10%