CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-02-2007, 10:57 PM   #1
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Lateral Movement

How come lateral movements aren't in WODs? Like sideways jumps or these things I've heard of called skiers? I personally think it is maybe too specific a movement, but I'm wondering what others think.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:03 AM   #2
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:
Re: Lateral Movement

There's no real need in life for explosive lateral movement unless you're playing a sport or fight.

And then you'll develop necessary lateral speed and coordination by playing sport/fight.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Actually I do lateral jumps almost everyday with my jump roping warm-ups.

those lateral double unders that Buddy lee was doing were amazing, those are pretty tough to get the hang of.

Don't know if shuttle runs are what you're thinking of, but we sometimes throw those in as well...so it may not be in the WOD, but it's definately in the repertoire.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:25 AM   #4
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Thanks.

Aushion - Have you noticed any difference in your performance since you've introduced lateral movements?
Old 10-04-2007, 05:16 AM   #5
Douglas Chapman

Profile:

Jason,

We regularly structure athletic agility drills into our training. They do not fit into a wod by are used either as a warm up/skill set or a tasking at the end of the workout.

Laterals, ABC Ladder, Hurdles, Heidens are great as drills and progressions before people begin doing higher level plyometrics. I had lateral bounding (Heidens) in our interval wod from yesterday. I will try and get a video up soon.

Doug
Old 10-04-2007, 08:13 AM   #6
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Jason,

For me it's hard to quantify, I'm always improving at Crossfitting, but that's really all I do anymore. (Unless you count bowling in which there isnt' much need for dynamic movement).

In general my speed and agility are up, I haven't touched a basketball, the sport I most readily associate quick lateral movements with in about 8 months!
Old 10-04-2007, 09:24 AM   #7
Frank C Ollis

Profile:

Jason,
I think the big thing is that latteral movement is fairly unnatural. Case in point, when fight or flight kicks in, I have never seen anyone explode sideways. It is usually accelerate straight ahead, or a combination of turning with some dropping/hunching, and haulin *** out of there.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:25 AM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank C Ollis View Post
Jason,
I think the big thing is that latteral movement is fairly unnatural. Case in point, when fight or flight kicks in, I have never seen anyone explode sideways. It is usually accelerate straight ahead, or a combination of turning with some dropping/hunching, and haulin *** out of there.
There was a discussion about this and twisting movements a while ago, and IIRC the conclusion was that they are relatively unnatural and therefore not the greatest concern from a fitness standpoint.

Anyway, if you guys wanted more info just do a search.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:27 PM   #9
Courtney Johnson

Profile:

I would just throw in a comment to give a shout out to lateral movement...

Lateral movement is used in so many sports (football, basketball, wrestling, baseball, soccer, skiing, boxing, mma, dodgeball, volleyball, badmitten, ultimate frisbee, rugby, etc) that it may deserve a place in a strength and conditioning program
Old 10-07-2007, 06:41 AM   #10
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:

I do lateral and rotational exercises. I fight MMA, so there is no way around the need to train lateral movement.

Here is are a few lateral drills I do:

- Filipino martial arts "sawtooth" drills - steps are forwards and backwards, but out to the side at the same time. Running the sawtooth while doing stick drills helps work the triangular steps used in FMA, and I found at first it was really hard on my ankles.
- skiers, or whatever they call those side-to-side jumps while skipping rope. I do lots of these, mixed with single legs, double leg jumps, double unders, running in place, etc. when I jump rope. I've gotten silly once or twice and jumped left-left-left-left all the way to the end of the mats and then back. Tricky but fun.
- lateral jumps. Just like it sounds. Or done as bench jumps - partner knees down, you jump side to side over the partner.
- lateral circles - you and a partner circle each other, when either claps, you immediately reverse directions. Lots of side-to-side running. Done also as lateral straight drills.

Rotational drills

- hands on the hips, rotating the hips left and right for active stretching and to get used to activating them
- wall touches. Back against the wall, touch the wall on the left side with the right hand, and left to right, back and forth as fast as possible for time.
- I've seen people do passing-the-medicine-ball drills, or just passing anything they can (bags, mitts, etc.) but my gym buddies don't do that one, just some of our competitors. Looks fun though.
- zillions of hook punches, one-twos, and shin kicks. Oh boy, are you rotating.

I'm sorry, I have no before/after for you. I've been doing some form of lateral movement drills for so long I have no idea what "before" is like. But that's some of the stuff I do that might fight your question. Hope that helps.