CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 09-13-2007, 03:27 AM   #1
Sean McMaster

Profile:
Baseline workout?

Since I am new, I guess (I hope) this is a suitable place to start this thread. I just stumbled across the crossfit website about a month ago, and I have been doing the workouts (scaled) and lurking on the forum here since then.

My question is this: does anyone out there have a baseline workout that they do every day, or every non rest day? For instance, some kind of simple bodyweight exercise routine you do every morning when you get up, no matter what the WOD might be. Is this a good idea/bad idea? Thanks!
Old 09-13-2007, 09:38 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Baseline workout?

Pick up a sport... but on rest days make sure it's not that intense.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
George Mounce

Profile:

Walk the dogs.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
Craig Brown

Profile:

Walk several miles, bicycle several more, carry heavy things up and down stairs...wait...that last one is my job...

Craig
Old 09-13-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Many people do the CF warmup.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
Jon Gilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McMaster View Post
Since I am new, I guess (I hope) this is a suitable place to start this thread. I just stumbled across the crossfit website about a month ago, and I have been doing the workouts (scaled) and lurking on the forum here since then.

My question is this: does anyone out there have a baseline workout that they do every day, or every non rest day? For instance, some kind of simple bodyweight exercise routine you do every morning when you get up, no matter what the WOD might be. Is this a good idea/bad idea? Thanks!
Sean,

Presumably, the purpose of a "baseline" workout is to test progress over time. CrossFit accomplishes this task with the named workouts, which are sprinkled into the programming and repeated every few months. For instance, you may do "Fran" (21-15-9 Thrusters/Pullups) today, and again in six weeks. You'll have a time for each effort, allowing you to gauge your progress.

Doing the same workout everyday, regardless of its composition, will quickly lead to stagnation and a lack of progress. Because the human body adapts to novel demands only, a consistent and non-novel routine will not lead to adaptation in the form of increased muscle mass and/or decreased fat levels.

That said, I may have misunderstood the intent of your question, in which case, Brandon's answer is spot-on. Most of us perform some variation of the CrossFit Warm-up (CFWU) immediately prior to the WOD. A description of this routine is found in the FAQ. The CFWU repetitive in it's composition, but should not be repetitive in terms of volume. As a newbie, I recommend you increase the volume over time, moving from 2 sets of 5 repetitions up to 3 sets of 15 repetitions. Do this gradually over the course of six to eight weeks.

The movements contained in the CFWU, including pullups, pushups, situps, and squats, comprise the foundation of gymnastic movement. Becoming more proficient at these foundational movements over time will leave you better prepared to deal with the rigors of high-volume WODs. Pay particular attention to proper squat form and improving your ability to do bouts of high-rep squats.

When you've met your goal of 3 sets of 15 repetitions without significant fatigue (being sure this volume does not negatively impact WOD results), you can begin to throw new skills into your warm-up, such as pistols, muscle-ups, double-unders, etc. These skills should be purposely selected based on personal weaknesses, the idea being that constant repetition (practice) will turn them into strengths.

I hope that helps! Good luck with your training, and welcome to CrossFit!

Best,

Jon
Old 09-13-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
Sean McMaster

Profile:

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful responses!