CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-07-2006, 07:16 AM   #1
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Help...... i have a personal training client who is vegitarian and who iam going to introduce to the zone,tomorrow! As an life long omnivour meat has always been on the menu for me.

Anyone have any good two and three block meal recipies i can give to her? I don't have copy of th soy zone, but i am going to recommend she get it. Nikki or anyone else did you have any good ones using aussie brands/ingredients?
Im pretty sure she will eat some animal prodcuts eg milk, cheese and eggs, but she draws the line at flesh.

Rob Wolf what where the supplements you said vegitarians should take? I cann't remember them other than the omega boosted eggs?

Thanks all for your help
Fiona

(Message edited by Fiona on March 07, 2006)
Old 03-07-2006, 03:21 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Fiona-

exactly what does she eat? If eggs and fish are ok you have a lot of latitude.

Tofu subs out nicely for any meat dish.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:30 PM   #3
Nikki Young

Profile:
Hey Fiona! I would recomend getting her to take some form of protein powder to help her make sure she gets enough. I know 'natural health suppliments' do a 100% egg albumen powder, which is plain but you can get flavour to add to it, i havent personally tried it with flavour so i don't know what its like, but without is pretty nasty (but dried egg white kinda is).
There is also nutra-life, which do egg albumen, ive seen this one in health food stores, havent tried it though. http://sports.nutralife.com.au/ViewProduct.aspx?id=286
And i seem to be talking about this a lot at the moment.. but Juice+ complete would be my recomendation, the protein in it is taken from identity preserved soy and other beans but also has vitamins and minerals from fresh fruits and vegitables, it's a great meal replacement too. E-mail if you would like more info, ive talked about it in a recent thread thats up called 'whey and uhm.. #2' or something similar.

In terms of food.. if she will eat eggs and dairy thats awesome. But foods high in protein apart from them would include broad beans (i get these in the frozen form, very high in protein and fibre) and other beans such as red kidney beans and chick peas.

Other sugestions would be getting her to eat dark green vegitables such as broccoli, brussel sprouts and spinach. Seaweed such as spirulina which is loaded with antioxidants, usable protein, EFA's and heaps of other awesome stuff. Lentils and split peas are also good sources of protein and fibre. And also nuts and seeds, trying to stick with nuts such as walnuts, macadamies and almonds and sunflower seeds are good too.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-08-2006, 05:15 AM   #4
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Well it went quite well, she was very excited about trying the zone as she had read about it before she had started training with me, but never done it.
Eggs and cheese yes, milk and fish no. She is going to start taking a soy protein power. And i talked her into taking fish oil supplements rather than flax seed .She started taking a spirulina smoothie every second day while i was away so i think we can make it work for her.

Thanks for your help