CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-10-2004, 05:59 PM   #21
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Beth,

Yes, I dislike taking carbs pre-workout, too. Bodybuilders talk a lot about how sipping high-GI carbs before and during the workout helps you, but I have yet to see a study showing that high GI carbs+protein pre-/during-workout is superior in effect to just sipping BCAAs before and during the first half of the workout.
Besides, if I tried to 'sip a high-GI carb/protein solution' during 'Grace,' I would toss my cookies.

If you are interested in pre-workout nutrition, I and several of my friends have had good experiences with supplementing with BCAAs pre-workout. (Specifically, with Xtreme Formulations's extremely expensive "ICE"). The ONLY reason I'm not doing this now is because I can't afford to; I found that drinking BCAAs pre-workout made at least as much of an impact on recovery as eating properly afterwards; I could do multiple sets of heavy squats and go home with a spring in my step.

Ross
Old 08-10-2004, 07:05 PM   #22
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Ross,

Have you tried supplementing with a high quality whey protein before your workout? If so, what type of results have you seen? I remember, a while back, Rob said something to the extent that he had read studies showing that protein pre workout was just as if not more anabolic than post workout protein (Rob, if I misquote, please forgive me!).

-Jay
Old 08-10-2004, 07:47 PM   #23
Steve Shafley

Profile:
http://www.edb.utexas.edu/ssn/iocmain.htm

The IOC's put out their recommended diet for Olympians.

Old 08-10-2004, 08:58 PM   #24
Roy Taylor

Profile:
What I do is wake up at 6:00am, drink 32 oz of water with a teaspoon of glutamine powder and red tea. I do the WOD and immediately after, I head for the whey and oatmeal. Any thoughts on this approach?

Cheers

Roy

Old 08-10-2004, 10:18 PM   #25
Scott Hagnas

Profile:
Ross-
How many grams of BCAAs or "Ice" do you use pre-workout?

Scott Hagnas
Old 08-11-2004, 05:01 AM   #26
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Roy,

Sounds good to me, so long as it's working for you. I'm guessing that you use whey post WOD because of it's rapid absorption? If so, you gotta keep in mind that the oatmeal combined with whey may very well end up slowing the whey's absorption. My performance is much better in the afternoon, after I have at least a meal in me, so I try to schedule the WOD accordingly.

-Jay
Old 08-11-2004, 05:22 AM   #27
Roy Taylor

Profile:
Jay,

I figure that as long as I don't have almonds in my oatmeal anymore, the absorption will be adequete enough. I like to have starch post workout, plus some honey. I read your other post in post W/O nutrition, and you eat meat and veggies post workout I take it? Have you been going anywhere with that? I use to do that, and performance always suffered afterward.

Cheers

Roy
Old 08-11-2004, 07:19 AM   #28
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Jay,

Taking high-BV whey pre-workout is what I do now whenever I work out in the morning. It's also what I'll do this afternoon, because I'll start working out about two hours after my last meal.
It works, but it doesn't work wonders. It definetely gives me more stamina during the workout and doesn't cause me a crash or discomfort as carbs or fat pre-workout might.
It doesn't, however, compare to taking BCAAs pre-workout - not even really in the same ballpark.

Scott - Xtreme Formulations recommends that you vary consumption by bodyweight, but both I and everyone I know who has used has found that you can get away with taking about 75% of their recommendation. I weigh 160-165 pounds and when I took ICE, I drank 20-25 grams.

Ross
Old 08-11-2004, 08:24 AM   #29
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Roy,

I actually feel pretty good with the meat + veggies post workout. Granted, I recovered a bit faster when I used a malto+whey shake PWO, but I couldnt stand how I felt for an hour or so after ingesting the shake.

Ross,

Interesting. I wouldnt have thought such a dramatic difference.

-Jay