CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-01-2004, 01:03 PM   #1
Ben Jackson

Profile:
I know in the Zone diet it is recommended that a person stay away from grains. What about the Atkins and low carb pastas and breads? My wife recently made some lasagna with low carb noodles (net carbs were 7 grams, but total carbs was like 40 grams)? Is there such a thing as net carbs, and what about the other 33 grams of carbs in the pasta? What happens to those carbs? How about fruit, is it okay to eat the 5 servings of any type of fruit or should I avoid certain fruits?

Ben
Old 08-01-2004, 03:42 PM   #2
Scott Parker

Profile:
ben-

your best bet is to try and stick to natural, non-processed carbs. yes, a lot of these products you mention are low carb, but they are also highly processed and refined, voiding them of most of their nutritional value. your best bet is to stick with getting your carbs from veggies, mostly leafy greens, some fruit, and occasionally i throw in some sweet potatoes as well. you don't have to go nuts though, occasionally allow yourself to enjoy some of the bad carb foods you like!

have fun!
Old 08-01-2004, 08:05 PM   #3
Roy Taylor

Profile:
Now, here is something i don't get: First off, Im on an athletes zone plan in which my carbs are mainly whole fruits(apples, nectarines, berries) and rolled oats. The reason being is because I find it more convenient(especially at work) to eat 1 apple and 1 nectarine with, say, a 4 block meal rather than 14-20 cups of broccoli to meet my need for 4 blocks to get that balance.

What I am wondering is if some zone followers here really binge on green vibrous(and horribly flatulent) veggies all day. This food has its place in many ways, especially the sedentary(not many here, I assume) but what about those who train hard twice a day 5 or six times a week who wanna maybe gain muscle and have energy?

My opinion is starch n' whey post workout(not chicken breast salad and brussel sprouts) fruit, nuts, and any protein source throughout the day, and green leafy veggies for dinner. Thats just me, though. Any other thoughts on carbs/fiber? Especially for Athletes?

Cheers

Roy
Old 08-08-2004, 08:11 PM   #4
Kevin H

Profile:  
Ron, eh, I experienced the same thing so I stopped the Zone for a while. Then I bought the Omega RX Zone and noticed how the emphasis on the food blocks seemed to go down, the discussion on food blocks is now in the Appendix whereas the hand-eye method is discussed as the main program of the book. This makes the diet a whole lot easier, although probably pretty inaccurate for certain kinds of foods. Also, I found that I love fried egg plant and boiled asparagus and haven't had any problems eating them too. Then I had quarter tomatoes and slices of cucumbers to round off my plate. Broccoli and bell peppers are simply inedible at large quantities. But red bell peppers have great flavor.

With carbohydrates, you have to consider primarily two things: mass and glycemic index. Sears' appendix on understanding carbohydrates at the back of the Omega RX Zone is valuable. With low carb/Atkins products, I'd look at net carbs, since its my understanding that both Atkins and the Zone are concerned with the effects of carbohydrates on blood sugar. Any carbs that aren't in that food's net carbs don't have much effect on blood sugar.

Just a note, I'm no expert, this just comes from reading the Zone and Atkins books :-)
Old 08-08-2004, 09:07 PM   #5
Kevin H

Profile:  
Oh, I just want to add that I'm not disagreeing with Scott. Veggies and fruit is where most of your vitamins and minerals are going to come from, and its because the Zone requires so many servings of vegatables in a day that it doesn't require that you take vitamin suppliments as a part of the program. Atkins dieters, however, do have to take vitamin suppliments as a part of the program. So you need to be careful if you are going to combine dieting approaches.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:20 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Ben, using lowered carb products really are fine, just don't use them every day, three times a day. I'm also not a big fan of added soy, which is in some of these products. If you are restricting your carbs and want pasta, go for it. With the Zone diet, which is not a low carb diet, you could occasionally eat real pasta. . .the fat and protein slows the carb absorbtion. There is a fine line with becoming too obsessive or too lax. find that line by evaluating body composition changes and performance. I eat fruit and veggies with every meal, for the (dare I say) health benifits!
Old 08-09-2004, 05:25 AM   #7
Roy Taylor

Profile:
Kevin, did you mean Roy? I also read omega RX, and I find the glycemic load info in it valuable. I pay heed to keeping my GL below 3000 in any one meal, except maybe post workout sometimes. I eat oatmeal twice a day, and I make sure it stays below 3000. I had horrible experience in the long run after trying cyclic low carb diets(NHE, CKD) Just because carbohydrates aren't neccessary for survival, doesnt mean they are bad for us. Staying away from the refined ones is probably good enough. Zone is better, tenfold.

Cheers

Roy
Old 08-09-2004, 09:26 AM   #8
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Roy,

"I had horrible experience in the long run after trying cyclic low carb diets(NHE, CKD)" Would you mind explaining this in more detail? I'm curious as to whether or not we experienced similar pitfalls.

-Jay
Old 08-09-2004, 04:43 PM   #9
Roy Taylor

Profile:
Jay, the main thing is that is messed up my metabolism. To this day, I can never reach satiety. I could no problem, until getting into NHE. I feel like I've gotten dumber. Sense of humor sorta left me. I gain bodyfat much easier. Theres a few. I'll get back with you. gotta run.

Cheers

Roy