CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #1
Anu Varadharajan

Profile:
My PSMF Log

I'm starting 2 weeks of PSMF today. It is going to be a challenge because I already have dinner plans for tonight and tomorrow night. And next week is Thanksgiving and I have cousins visiting and another dinner next Saturday. But then I'm always going to have dinner plans and can't run or hide from them. So it's going to be my best shot. And starting a log will keep me honest and log everything I eat.

According to the RFL book, I'm a borderline Category 1/2 dieter. So I'm doing this for 2 weeks first and see how it works. Other challenges I have - I have to eat only cheese / cottage cheese for my protein source since I'm vegetarian. I don't make eggs at home. I will eat out a couple times a week and get them to be egg white omellettes - so that will help. I need to eat 118.8g of protein each day and spread over 4 meals, it is 29g of protein per meal. And lots of good veges. No fruit. 1 glass of whole milk a day. And I'm doing SS 3 times a week. I'm restarting SS so the weights are still light and I should be able to go through the 2 weeks without too much negative impact on recovery from the low calories.

Today's stats: I weigh 130 pounds. I'll have to measure the other stuff.

This morning I had 1 cup of coffee - no sugar with 1/3 cup of milk. I had 1/2 c of cottage cheese (13g protein, 5g carbs, 2.5g fat) and 2 cheese sticks for breakfast. The sodium from the cheese is making me so thirsty! I've got 4.2oz of cheese, 1/2 tomato and 1/3 bell pepper all chopped up for lunch.

So, here goes!
Old 11-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: My PSMF Log

Anu;

Best of luck.
Consider moving this thread to Workout Logs.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
Bryan Gates

Profile:

Full fat CC, cheese, and milk defeats the diet as you are eating far too much fat. You are also taking in too many carbs with the milk. You should probably read the suggested foods section again. I understand that you are a veggie but you cant say you are doing a PSMF while eating a (relatively) bunch of fat and carbs. If you are having trouble getting the required protein in then I would suggest protein shakes (water based).

Also you might want to look at the excersize section too. You dont want relatively light weights. They need to be as heavy as possible and you adjust volume/frequency to make sure recovery occurs. If you can maintain your strength then you have done about the best you can.

Yeah you did pick a wonderful time to do this . I was going to start my own a coupel of weeks ago, but I figured why waste a good holiday dieting?
Old 11-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
Laura Kurth

Profile:

I agree, Anu I think you have the wrong idea of what PSMF is?

Protein Sparing Modified Fast - you need to intake protein, lots of it, and not much else. Some fat but I think very small amounts. Basically zero carbs or as close as possible. Milk would definitely be a no go.

Generally this low calorie and low fat a diet would wreak havoc but since it is for such a short time generally it is fine (if you don't go loopy that is)

i think it quite unnecessary though, better to just work on better eating habits for the long run IMO but I guess if you need to drop weight very quickly for something in particular this would be a good way to go.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Just in case anyone's not sure what this is about, PSMF is Lyle McDonald's Protein Sparing Modified Fast, one of the diets he recommends. It is extremely similar to Chris Shugart's Velocity Diet that's better known here, although it uses solid foods and I think has some more details on points like transitioning off it. (I don't have the book.)
Old 11-21-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
Glenn Beeson

Profile:

Just got the PSMF book myself a couple days ago. Interesting read and it is similar in fuction to the Velocity diet, the form however, is considerably different; liquid protein versus solid protein being the biggest difference. I am not starting either PSMF or Velocity for a while simply due to many variables including hideous work schedules (that is the biggest problem right now). Oh - and I still need to build my garage gym.

PSMF though seems interesting and possibly more viable than Velocity. Perhaps.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #7
Anu Varadharajan

Profile:

Thanks for the posts. I'm only drinking 1 glass of milk - not 3 as I initially considered. And I'm eating low fat CC - the only variety I've been able to find in the grocery store is the onel w/ 2.5g of fat. Any fat free I looked at had about 8g of carbs for 13g of protein.

So, yesterday, I ate about 1/2c off CC, 1/3 cup of milk and 12 oz of other types of cheese, 1/2 tomato, 1/2 green pepper, 1/2 head of lettuce - that was until about 4 pm. Since I had dinner plans, dinner was 1 pita, 1 cup of cauliflower and 1 cup of lentils. The surprising thing was that I thought I'd be really hungry from the low cal, but I wasn't. My breakfast kept me going through the SS workout ( BS 90#, Press 45#, PCs 50#) and worked on handstands and KTEs etc. I wasn't a light workout. I was tired after the workout. Drinking lots of water and ginger tea also helped.

I understand the concern about the carbs, and being vegetarian. Per McDonald's book, h says I can eat cheese. In fact, it allows for some milk (for calcium), 1 serving of CC during the day and either 4.2 oz of cheeses or 3.7 oz of fat free cheese per meal. So, I'm going to continue w/ the cheeses. Eating the veges and the 119 g of protein each day puts me at about 600 calories per day. which is very low. so, let's see how it goes.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:32 PM   #8
Anu Varadharajan

Profile:

To update the log for the last couple of days:

Saturday - planned break. A lot of food - mostly clean. But I did have rum cake and desert at dinner with friends.

Sunday - Back to PSMF. Bought a lot of fat free cheese, fat free cottage cheese. Eat 120g of protein. That came to about 800 calories including the cheese and some lettuce.

Today - Most of the day was good - breakfast of fatfree cottage cheeses (28g of protein, 14g of carbs). 3 slices of fatfree cheese and some lettuce for lunch. And since we had a religious event at home, had to eat some of the offerings - which were high carb, high fat. O well. Back to PSMF this evening onwards until Saturday. It is going to take some tweaking of the social calendar to also make this work!!
Old 11-24-2008, 07:19 PM   #9
Zach S

Profile:

Are you getting protein from anything besides dairy?
Old 11-25-2008, 06:25 AM   #10
Lauren Hall

Profile:

Anu, have you tried anything like Greek yogurt? I mention this a lot, but it has very high protein content and lower carbs than milk. It would be a nice replacement for some of the cheese you're eating.

Also, you don't say why you don't eat eggs at home, but I find that hardboiled eggs are a great way of getting protein throughout the day. I would add in more eggs, but you might have a reason not to.

I worry a little that all of your protein is coming from milk/cheese. There has to be a better way to diversify this, even while being a vegetarian.