CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-13-2008, 12:36 AM   #11
Wes Palmer

Profile:
Re: Help on Workout...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post

"Phoebe" 5 rounds of 21 Hang Squat cleans @ 95lbs, run 400m
Never seen Phoebe on the FAQ sheet or in the demos. Is there another place I should look for other WOD's?
Old 11-13-2008, 12:43 AM   #12
Stephen Smith

Profile:

Just don't use the deadlift form that fitness model in the pictures has...
Old 11-13-2008, 09:41 AM   #13
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Palmer View Post
Never seen Phoebe on the FAQ sheet or in the demos. Is there another place I should look for other WOD's?
Oh really? I guess it was one that was made up in Vancouver, that's where I saw it. It's tasty, give it a try.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:01 AM   #14
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Smith View Post
Just don't use the deadlift form that fitness model in the pictures has...
I like how it tells you not to let go of the bar while doing thrusters...
Old 11-13-2008, 03:24 PM   #15
Jesse Kodadek

Profile:

You haven't tried clapping thrusters?
Old 11-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #16
Glenn Beeson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Kodadek View Post
You haven't tried clapping thrusters?
Only once on accident.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #17
Tim Smith

Profile:

Hi Ken,

Your workout shows a lot of the Crossfit ideal, mixed exercises done over time and with intensity. You are on the right track. Your selection of exercises is a bit at odds with some of the crossfit philosophy, however.

Crossfit advocates "functional" exercises, exercises that have the same motion as something done in real life, for the most part. Curls and bench presses are considered (by the crossfit community) to be "non-functional." Many crossfitters consider them to be a bodybuilding-type exercise and therefore done for vanity rather than usefulness. A lot of CFers will give you grief for choosing to do bench presses and curls as part of a workout.

As for the amount of weight you are lifting, many of us have forgotten where we started. I have been doing crossfit 4 days a week for about 6 months and I can do bench press work similar to yours. My recommendation is that you start with the "buttercup" workouts (not my choice of names) on the Brand X website. Here is a work- and family-safe link: http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16

That is where I started. Some of the buttercup workouts are easy for the beginner, some are hard. It just depends on your strengths and weaknesses. I did the buttercup workouts for 2-3 months and then moved up to the "Puppy" workouts. The program is working out real well for me even though I do not do it 3 days/1 rest day. I am a single dad and do not have the time for that much exercise.

The main improvement I have seen is in how fast I recover from exertion. My squat and deadlift have also both improved by about 33% over the last 4 months and I am noticing bigger shoulders in the mirror. And overall, I just feel healthier. I still have a ways to go on diet and rest, but both are improving as well.

Crossfit is really an excellent program for general-purpose physical fitness. In about 8 weeks you will notice a marked improvement in recovery time from hard exertion.

Best of luck to you,

Tim
Old 11-13-2008, 07:11 PM   #18
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Smith View Post
Hi Ken,

Your workout shows a lot of the Crossfit ideal, mixed exercises done over time and with intensity. You are on the right track. Your selection of exercises is a bit at odds with some of the crossfit philosophy, however.

Crossfit advocates "functional" exercises, exercises that have the same motion as something done in real life, for the most part. Curls and bench presses are considered (by the crossfit community) to be "non-functional." Many crossfitters consider them to be a bodybuilding-type exercise and therefore done for vanity rather than usefulness. A lot of CFers will give you grief for choosing to do bench presses and curls as part of a workout.

As for the amount of weight you are lifting, many of us have forgotten where we started. I have been doing crossfit 4 days a week for about 6 months and I can do bench press work similar to yours. My recommendation is that you start with the "buttercup" workouts (not my choice of names) on the Brand X website. Here is a work- and family-safe link: http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16

That is where I started. Some of the buttercup workouts are easy for the beginner, some are hard. It just depends on your strengths and weaknesses. I did the buttercup workouts for 2-3 months and then moved up to the "Puppy" workouts. The program is working out real well for me even though I do not do it 3 days/1 rest day. I am a single dad and do not have the time for that much exercise.

The main improvement I have seen is in how fast I recover from exertion. My squat and deadlift have also both improved by about 33% over the last 4 months and I am noticing bigger shoulders in the mirror. And overall, I just feel healthier. I still have a ways to go on diet and rest, but both are improving as well.

Crossfit is really an excellent program for general-purpose physical fitness. In about 8 weeks you will notice a marked improvement in recovery time from hard exertion.

Best of luck to you,

Tim

I don't know how you get ANYTHING done with all the time you spend on this message board!! I mean...You're averaging almost one post per month!!!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:59 AM   #19
Kenneth M. Cornelius

Profile:

Thank you all for the sufficient addvice. Got it... no curls, no bench. 100 man, i'll stay away from that. Ima also look into some of the links yall have posted for me to try. I'll go from there and seek advice when needed. This is truely helpfull. Thank you all!