CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-06-2008, 05:03 PM   #21
Charles Bennington

Profile:
Re: Triathlon Sprint Prep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kuhlman View Post
Back to the swim for a minute...a lot of it is actually very mental in my opinion. You need to be comfortable with the sensation of drowning. People panic because they can't catch their breath, the wet suit is choking them, etc. Plus, all of the other fun dragons that decide to show up and stomp on your ego always love to show up in the swim:

"I'm not in shape for this!"

"I can't catch my breath!"

"I'll stop now and be better prepared next time."

And so forth.

Since you're admittedly comfortable in the water, albeit not as technically proficient as you'd like, dealing with those "dragons" should come a little easier to you.

I was Mr. Swim going into my first triathlon and was promptly had my *** handed to me...and I knew what to expect! In fact, every time I get cocky about my Swim-Fu, I get *****-slapped right back into humility.

The last race I did, I boldly went to the front of the pack because, hey, swimming is my thang. Long story short, it became the longest, most grueling, swim of my life. It seemed like I could never get enough air.

For newbies, the advice is always to line up in the water near the back of the pack, or off to the side so you don't get caught in the washing machine. I had always followed that advice and would have a nice, relaxing...and fast swim. I got cocky and thought I'd turn in a better swim by catching the feet of someone slightly faster and that tactic blew up in my face.

Bottom line: Find a spot away from the main group. Relax. And go out for a Sunday swim!
Spent some time in the pool in the military, did the whole "drown proofing" thing.

I was actually thinking about the placement far off to the side or just chilling in the back earlier today. Thanks for confirming my suspicion.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #22
David Croushore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Bennington View Post
Any specific ones that you could recommend?
Speedo Vanquisher... Best goggles ever.

A lot of swimmers will recommend Swedes, but I never liked them. Plus, the Vanquisher is larger so you'll have less difficulty wearing contacts under them.

Best of luck.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:30 PM   #23
Glenn Beeson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Bennington View Post
Just found out that the 5K is in the sand...What are some new considerations?
If possible, run on the wet stuff - the dry stuff can chew you up pretty fast.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:07 AM   #24
Ted Apollo

Profile:

hey charles if i was you i would look into renting a wetsuit. i just got my first wet suit a few days ago. i took it out for an open water swim yesterday and it made a world of difference. the wetsuit helps you float so much. the swim leg isn't so daunting now.

check out xterra. they rent for like $49 for a race or you can buy one for like $1** new.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:51 PM   #25
Charles Bennington

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Apollo View Post
hey charles if i was you i would look into renting a wetsuit. i just got my first wet suit a few days ago. i took it out for an open water swim yesterday and it made a world of difference. the wetsuit helps you float so much. the swim leg isn't so daunting now.

check out xterra. they rent for like $49 for a race or you can buy one for like $1** new.
Cool, thanks man. I still need to look into bike rental...
Old 10-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #26
Ted Apollo

Profile:

so how did your tri go today?

i just got back from mine. the results are not in yet, but i gave it 110%. the swim was something else. it was just like being in a washing machine. it was hard to get in a normal rhythm with breathing, but was probably my best split. the transitions, bike, and run went pretty decent. it was hard to stay in my own race since i am too competitive and really wanted to beat all the other clydesdales.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:52 PM   #27
Charles Bennington

Profile:

Quote:
so how did your tri go today?

i just got back from mine. the results are not in yet, but i gave it 110%. the swim was something else. it was just like being in a washing machine. it was hard to get in a normal rhythm with breathing, but was probably my best split. the transitions, bike, and run went pretty decent. it was hard to stay in my own race since i am too competitive and really wanted to beat all the other clydesdales.
Life kind of got in the way of this one. I did a solo tri-esque workout a few weeks ago: 1.5K Swim, 16 Mile Trail Ride, 3 Mile Run.

Doing this one just didn't workout financially more than anything. Between registration, wetsuit, bike rental, goggles, ect, it was more than I could part with at the moment.

I'll do their next one for sure.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #28
Ted Apollo

Profile:

i understand tri's are a lot more involving then a running race which only requires shoes. the season out here has ended and will pick back up in the spring. so i am sure overtime you can accumulate a good used bike, used wetsuit, and all the other little things. whenever you get a chance i would say definitely go for it just for the experience.

that's cool you did your own tri. what was your time? since starting this i have fallen in love with brick workouts. it seems i always run better after a bike ride even if its long.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:17 PM   #29
Charles Bennington

Profile:

Quote:
i understand tri's are a lot more involving then a running race which only requires shoes. the season out here has ended and will pick back up in the spring. so i am sure overtime you can accumulate a good used bike, used wetsuit, and all the other little things. whenever you get a chance i would say definitely go for it just for the experience.

that's cool you did your own tri. what was your time? since starting this i have fallen in love with brick workouts. it seems i always run better after a bike ride even if its long.
It's buried in my workout log somewhere. It wasn't a spectacular time, but conditions were crap. I'll eventually do one, just wasn't a big priority at the moment.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #30
Alex Hain

Profile:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/di...egory-view.asp
www.trifuel.com/forum/3

Not that I don't think the advice on here isn't valid, but for great advice on triathlons the websites above are the best source. CF mixed with CFE is the best bet for training if you want to retain the CF style.