CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-21-2006, 06:25 AM   #21
Don Stevenson

Profile:
best rowing times were when I was 83-85kg, 179cm and rowing regularly.

500m 1:32.4
1000m 3:26
2000m 7:10.2

These days i'd be lucky to pull 1:40 I think

500's I never found too bad because they were over fast, 2000 was paced to a plan and only the last 500 really sucked but 1000's are just 3:30ish of pure pain and amongst my most dreaded workouts.

I really miss rowing and i'm hoping in the next month or so to be able to afford to buy a C2
Old 09-21-2006, 07:19 AM   #22
Mie Yoshinaga

Profile:
5'3" 125#
first 500m at 2:06 w/o warm up

it nearly killed me
Old 09-21-2006, 07:28 AM   #23
William Winger

Profile:
Allen, there's no reason to row at such a low setting in the 500. If you can manage it, bump it up steadily to 10, the race is just to short to pace yourself (I feel).

Also, the gist of the drag factor threads is: in the 500, set it to 10, and pull until your heart stops. The difficulty in increasing speed increases proportionately with speed. So improving 1 second from 1:41 to 1:40 is easier (from a work standpoint) than going from 1:28 to 1:27.

It also really helps to have people shouting at you. The ability to motivate yourself to pull a sub-1:30 (which I have done) is one thing, but your best times will probably come in the presence of a buddy yelling at you. You know, 'one minute done', '200 meters to go', 'just 15 more strokes', 'pulling at 1:22, good job!' etc.

Hope these tips help too.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:30 AM   #24
Eva Twardokens

Profile:
I agree with William...no pacing...you do need to feel at least like only a peso when you are done and you will. I like people screamng at me...but I prefer not to have stats yelled out...it can be depressing if you are not where you wanna be. Plus, the inensity is so high that you tend to snap at people making, what seems at the time, like stupid remarks.... and they are trying to help...ie..."only 499 meters to go...you got it!"
Old 09-21-2006, 08:57 AM   #25
William Winger

Profile:
Eva, I agree with that. Here's the best way to encourage:

First 100 meters - yell at them to do their first three pulls extremely fast, you have to get the flywheel up to speed, then emphasize the current speed, since this is when the pulling will be fastest
100 to 200 meters - Mark 30 seconds in, mindless comments on form (mostly to distract)
Mark 250 meters and call it half done (actually this may not be exactly true, based on the initial rate of acceleration, as well as the rate of fatigue)
Mark 300 meters, 375 meters, and 1 minute
Closing in on 500 - keep them aware of their projected finish, basically yell as loud as you can to keep going, give them a target like: 'ten more strong strokes!'

I've found that the last 60 meters there's really nothing you can do, the rower has to make their own choice on whether they want to kill themselves 8 more times, or just ride it out. The flywheel will probably get to 500 total on its own anywhere after 450 if you're travelling fast enough.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:21 AM   #26
Allen Yeh

Profile:
William,

I used to row at 10 when I first started rowing until I read the link for drag factors and how it's really dependent upon weight, at least that is what I got out of that thread.

http://www.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/disc...=22&page=13717

I'll try it on 10 and see what difference that makes.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:33 PM   #27
Jim Butts

Profile:
Earlier this year at 49yo, 5-9, 240lbs I did a 1:26.2 after rowing on and off, mostly in the context of CF-type workouts, for about a year. My only attempt at an all-out 2k resulted in a 6:56 and near-death. Not really near-death, but, for me, the 2k is way harder than any other distance. Kind of like how I've heard the 800 described in track. I've pulled under 1:30 in the 500 many times and again, for me, the first half or so is not too bad, then it's just hang on for 45 seconds. I figure I can do 'anything' for 45 seconds. Sure it hurts, but nowhere near how the 2k hurt.

As far as strategy, I've read a lot on the CII website that many rowers are way more efficient, even in the 500, with a relatively low setting/drag factor. I definitely agree for the longer distances and for rowing in general, but for the 500, for me, it's L10 and hang on tight. But, I realize that that part of it is very personal and L10 just won't work for some people. In my mind, and I know the analogy isn't perfect, it's kind of like cycling where different gears are more appropriate for different situations, but for a sprint you put it in the lowest gear you can while still maintaining a decent cadence. That works for me anyway. It's also really important, and this is mostly mental, to pull hard- no, make that even harder, not up to the end, but right THROUGH the end.

The only encouragement I've ever had is my wife yelling at me to come in for dinner, so I would love to try it in a group setting. Maybe someday at CF Vancouver or CF North...

Old 09-21-2006, 01:41 PM   #28
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Where are these damper settings, anyway? We have C2 Rowers at my gym (kinda old ones though) and I've played with the settings and haven't found those yet.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:36 PM   #29
William Winger

Profile:
Allen, yeah give it a try on 10. 10 shouldn't be standard for all distances, but I definitely think you're giving something up by lowering the drag, basically the erg is going to give you less credit for the work you're already doing (moving your body each stroke). Moving the resistance up raises the ratio of external resistance (from the flywheel) compared to normal resistance (from yourself), so if you've got the power it should be more efficient. If it seriously detriments your stroke rate then it won't be worth it. Hope this makes sense...

Jim, agreed, I can do varying levels of 'anything' for different amounts of time. I can do literally 'anything' for a split second, I can row or run real fast for 45 seconds, I can keep a steady pace for up to three minutes, and then after that I'm shot...

Yael, most (if not all) C2 ergs have a lever on the side of the flywheel labelled from 1 to 10. Sliding this up and down changes the amount of air that can reach the flywheel, which changes the resistance, which the erg gives you credit for as increased work. Basically the computer chip of the erg translates work into 'distance', you're not (obviously) directly rowing 500 meters...
Is this what you're asking?
Old 09-21-2006, 02:44 PM   #30
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Oh, so it's not on the little screen thingie! Thanks!!