CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
Aaron Trent

Profile:
The Crossfit cop-out?

So, I look on the main page and see "run or row 5k". I rub the sleepiness out of my eyes and it is still there. My question is, when did fitness end at running 400m. While it is accurate that you would probably never need to run 26.2 miles, the possibility of running 3 is at least as high as needing to deadlift double your bodyweight. Running 3 miles is a quick jog through the city when a storm has knocked out power at 5:30 and traffic is at a standstill. Why might you need to run 3 miles through the city? I don't know, when do you need to squat 350lbs? If our focus here is on functional, how many of you own a rowboat? My fear is that Crossfit is becoming more strength, gymnastics, and weight-room conditioned at the sacrifice of running. Ask yourself how useful swinging a kettlebell is if you can't run, and how truly fit are you if the thought of running 3 miles scares you?

Last edited by Aaron Trent : 12-20-2007 at 09:27 AM. Reason: I spelled a word wrong.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:18 AM   #2
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: The Crossfit cop-out?

I don't think this is a replacement for the 5k run. Just a different workout.

But I could be wrong.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:19 AM   #3
Gant Grimes

Profile:

First, there are a number of people who can't run because of injuries or whatever. Every time the 5K comes up, they ask what kind of row they can substitute. Putting it on the main page saves time and irritation.

Second, it's winter, and some people won't run outside, even if they're physically capable. They'll be lost and wonder what they can do. See point #1.

Third, you don't have to run to improve your running times. Because of shin splints, I now sub my runs at least half the time and haven't lost anything.

PS I like a good fitness rant, though. Preach on, brother.

PPS I agree that eliminating running altogether would be a bad thing, but I don't think that's what's happening here. (Contractions are cool)

Old 12-20-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
Alex Nisetich

Profile:

Thank you. I'm glad someone said it, we don't have nearly enough running in the WOD.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:28 AM   #5
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Trent View Post
SNIP-

While it is accurate that you would probably never need to run 26.2 miles, the possibility of running 3 is at least as high as needing to deadlift double you bodyweight.

SNIP-

I don't know, when do you need to squat 350lbs?

SNIP-
I am sure that more than a few of us own and ride motorcycles. Unless it is a little dirt bike, chances are it weighs well more than 350 lbs - mine is about 500 with a full tank.

There are two kinds of motorcycle riders -- those who have gone down and those who will go down.

Ever tried to lift a 500 lb motorcycle from its side, by yourself? The best two techniques I've been taught look an awful lot like a deadlift or a modified back squat/dead lift combo.

If the bike isn't working and I need a mechanic I can then run that 5k into town to get help!

Just saying...

Old 12-20-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
Spencer Provow

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Ever tried to lift a 500 lb motorcycle from its side, by yourself? The best two techniques I've been taught look an awful lot like a deadlift or a modified back squat/dead lift combo.

If the bike isn't working and I need a mechanic I can then run that 5k into town to get help!

Just saying...

That could be a WOD in itself.. (1st round) Bike flip to Run to town (2nd round) run back to bike and fix bike (3rd round) cruise off on bike... for time

Old 12-20-2007, 09:39 AM   #7
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
I am sure that more than a few of us own and ride motorcycles. Unless it is a little dirt bike, chances are it weighs well more than 350 lbs - mine is about 500 with a full tank.

There are two kinds of motorcycle riders -- those who have gone down and those who will go down.

Just saying...
Allow me to snip.

Quote:
Why might you need to run 3 miles through the city? I don't know, when do you need to squat 350lbs?
My guess is that if you own a motorcycle, you better be able to Deadlift/Squat you bike AND run 3 miles. Better not sub that row today.

I was not bashing the Deadlift or Squat, I think they are just as important as being able to run. Due to lifestyle, some may need to run more and others may need to lift more, but overall they have an equal value. My personal goals are a 300lb Dead @BW 130 and an 18 minute 5k.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
Tristan Warneke

Profile:

I wouldn't call it a cop-out. Like Gant said, there are many reasons why people can't run. I live in Minnesota and currently it is about 25F and there is snow and ice everywhere. It has been a few weeks since our last major snow, so sidewalks are mostly clear, but not everyone wants to try their luck at missing all of the ice patches and slush puddles they are bound to find in a 5k run when you don't own (or like) a treadmill. I'll do the run outside, but then I'm both crazy and have years of experience running in the winter here. Now if the temp were to drop significantly, like below 0F where it sometimes gets during the winter here, I'd be looking for a rower. I'm not going to risk hypothermia to make sure I'm getting enough running in.

Out of curiousity, Aaron and Adam, do you both come from running backgrounds before finding CF?

-TripMN

Old 12-20-2007, 09:43 AM   #9
Tom Fetter

Profile:

I'm gonna row.

What's more, I'm gonna sub rowing every time running comes up this winter. While a nice light jog outside in my town is possible many days from Dec through March, I've no interest in a high intensity CrossFit-esque run on the ice. Particularly when by the time I'm home from work, it's dark enough that I can't see the potholes.

Wrecked an ankle doing such foolishness in the dark two years back, and I had to stay away from anything that required standing up or running for a couple of months. While there are a couple of indoor tracks in town, nothing's more convenient than the rowing machine upstairs.

t

Old 12-20-2007, 09:49 AM   #10
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

... the sky is falling, the sky is falling! Okay Chicken Little, way to overreact when given an option.

Closed Thread