CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-14-2007, 06:00 AM   #1
John Frazer

Profile:
At CF DC last night, I had a discussion with Tom Brose and Russ Greene about elbow position during overhead squats.

Apparently the elbows are supposed to face each other. But at some point I got things backwards, and began rotating my elbows to point forward.

To me, it seems that the wrong way is more stable; it prevents the elbows from unlocking, and facilitates "putting my shoulders in my ears."

Also, I've had shoulder injuries which, according to my chiropractor, stem partly from weakness in the upper back and unstable shoulder blads; she's got me doing various exercises to tighten that area up. When I lock down my shoulder blades during OHSs, though, it also tends to rotate my elbows forward.

So I've got a bit of a dilemma where the right way to do it doesn't seem to work as well.

I'm curious about the group's thoughts on this.

John
Old 03-14-2007, 06:32 AM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
I don't think I could make mine face each other if I tried? Not sure they would point forward either.

Mine point slightly out and back. I think unless you are a competing Oly lifter whatever gets the job done and feels stable is the ticket.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:49 AM   #3
Jason Steele

Profile:
I'm having a problem visualizing what they say is correct, any chance of a picture or link that highlights it?
Old 03-14-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
John Frazer

Profile:
Most of the videos on the CF Exercise page show side views because that's the most important alignment for this lift.

However, in the "Josh Does Annie" video, Annie's elbows seem to be rotated forward a bit, similar to mine.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #5
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
I have no idea how you can point your elbows forward. Your arms should be locked out and rotated so your thumbs are pointing forward Do this without a bar in your hands to get the feel of locking out.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:24 AM   #6
Dennis Barrett

Profile:
I'm at a lose. Look at Veronica's avatar. The inside of her elbow is pionted towards her head. The outside is pointed towards the weight. How else could they be turned?
Old 03-14-2007, 06:18 PM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
That's a jerk in her picture not an overhead squat.

Listen to Veronica. Lock the arms out straight, rotate the elbows as if you were trying to point the thumbs forward. Imagine you are trying to put a bend in the bar as well as pulling it apart.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:39 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
It actually pains my rotator cuff to point the inner crook of my elbows forward. I also feel like I can't full open my shoulder angle.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:33 PM   #9
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Blair, do what you can to lock out your elbows and shoulders. In comp, you aren't redlighted for less than a full lockout if it's physically impossible for you to do. I'm assuming your not competing, so do it to the best of your abilities.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:28 AM   #10
John Frazer

Profile:
My apologies, I've completely confused the discussion by stating things backwards.

I face the INSIDE of my elbows forward, so it sounds as if I'm doing what Veronica says. Same error on another post--the INSIDE of Annie's elbows are pointed forward.

What Tom and Russ were saying was that the INSIDES of my elbows should be facing each other more.

I realized that the Washington Post article on CF DC included a picture of me doing an OHS, which may help:

http://www.readexpress.com/read_freeride/2006/11/post_60.php

(Message edited by John_Frazer on March 15, 2007)