CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
Susan Parkhurst

Profile:
Affiliate Name rules / regulations??

Is there anywhere on the main site or here, that explains the rules / regulations / allowances for affiliate names? I've recently been told (by someone who just received their approval) that HQ isn't allowing location names (i.e. Nameofyourtown CrossFit, or South-nameofyourtown crossfit) any more..
Does anyone have any updated info?
Old 12-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
Zack Quilici

Profile:
Re: Affiliate Name rules / regulations??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Parkhurst View Post
Is there anywhere on the main site or here, that explains the rules / regulations / allowances for affiliate names? I've recently been told (by someone who just received their approval) that HQ isn't allowing location names (i.e. Nameofyourtown CrossFit, or South-nameofyourtown crossfit) any more..
Does anyone have any updated info?
From HQ my name was denied the first time

Basically, it's no continents, countries, provinces, regions, states, counties, large cities, religious references, movie names, celebrity names, personal names, trademarked names, government agencies, or names that are already taken. As long as no one else has it or has applied for it, and it's a name we will license, you'll be good to go.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
Susan Parkhurst

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Quilici View Post

Basically, it's no continents, countries, provinces, regions, states, counties, large cities, religious references, movie names, celebrity names, personal names, trademarked names, government agencies, or names that are already taken. As long as no one else has it or has applied for it, and it's a name we will license, you'll be good to go.
Thanks Zack! Good to know! I'm hoping my name will be accepted then..
best of luck to you in your new affiliate!
Susan
Old 12-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
John C Blattner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Quilici View Post

Zack, you mention "no trademarked names." Do you have someone routinely check the federal trademark register to make sure new name ideas haven't been registered as trademarks? If not, PM me and I'll tell you how to do it, it's not difficult.

Come to think of it, same offer to new affiliates. Just doing a Google(R) search on a new name isn't enough; if you're interested PM me and I'll tell you how to do a more effect trademark search.

(Full disclosure: yes, I am a trademark attorney, but this is NOT a solicitation for legal work, just an offer to pass along something I happen to know about.)

Last edited by John C Blattner : 12-30-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
David Osorio

Profile:

I wonder why you can't associate your affiliate with the town/city etc you live in? I was unaware of this how long has that been the case?
Old 12-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
Susan Parkhurst

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Osorio View Post
I wonder why you can't associate your affiliate with the town/city etc you live in? I was unaware of this how long has that been the case?
David,
I don't know this to be fact.. I was told by someone who recently received a denial of their name that HQ told them they were no longer allowing directional or partial city names if someone already had the city name. I.E., Oceanside CrossFit is already an affiliate name. A new affiliate would not be accepted as "South Oceanside CrossFit or North Oceanside CrossFit. ...
I suppose I will find out soon enough.. ;-)
Old 12-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Osorio View Post
Hoping this isn't true as I'm still waiting go hear from HQ. Applied exactly 4 weeks ago for CrossFit Newburgh. Hoping they'll approve it as some other CrossFit's in the area have the town names.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #8
Susan Parkhurst

Profile:

Well, starting week TWO of names/denials.. this can be soo frustrating.

I have submitted 10 names and unfortunately, it seems that even if there's a "similar" word or name, it won't be licensed now. example: XLR8 is an existing name, so any form of Accelerate is not allowed. It's been extremely discouraging...

It'd be really nice if there was an Active database with current CF Affiliate names, so those applying could know what NOT to send in..

Me, Thesaurus.com, Bing and Google search have become really good friends in the past two weeks!
Old 02-03-2014, 07:43 AM   #9
Corey Coleman

Profile:

We were denied our first name as well, and the next ones, which we are diligently waiting to hear about now, were all very unrelated to each other. We were hoping that by going in three different new directions, one would be acceptable. Plus we didn't want to just try and change a little and skirt the last rejection. Getting our affiliation/name approval quickly is ultimately more important to us than getting the exact name we wanted. Plus, we are still happy with all the alternatives, should one be approved. I do find it funny that the saturation point for the market is coming from the available names rather than the available clients... we really had to rack our brains to even find one that didn't pop up on web search. I guess that is a testament to how effective this methodology can be. Once it changes your life, it is hard not to want to open an affiliate!
Old 02-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #10
Ryan Pye

Profile:

Any clue on initial response time from CF? I submitted 4+ weeks ago.