CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
Marshall Flagg

Profile:
Rogue wall mount on metal studs

Has anyone attached an infinity wall mount rig to a metal stud wall? Building is a tilt up and the rig will be about 30' long.

Thanks

MF
Old 10-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Ross Buchanan

Profile:
Re: Rogue wall mount on metal studs

If were talking metal studs like the 2x4 size that are pretty much a step above aluminum foil thickness I'm going to say thats a pretty bad idea
Old 10-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Nick Troutman

Profile:

By tilt-up do you mean concrete panels? Those would be the structural elements and not the metal studs. I work at an architectural firm and we always add blocking in walls between studs when hanging ANYTHING on the wall. And mostly that's just talking about TVs or countertops. The metal studs used were probably not intended to take a load - even a small wallmount unit.

If you did mean concrete panels when you said tilt-up - (and I realize that may just be an architectural term and you're referring to the metal stud walls being put together laying down then tilted up) - then anchor to the panels.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

The interior wall has the metal/aluminum studs. Exterior walls are concrete.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #5
Nick Troutman

Profile:

So the metal studs are basically there on the inside so the drywall has something to attach to... Do you rent or own the space? You could check w/ landlord about anchoring to the concrete walls. If you were hoping to mount on an interior wall where the metal studs (although they do come in varying gauge thickness and can be used for heavier structural integrity) themselves are the structure - I would say definitely don't try it.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
Rich Case

Profile:

I understand Nick and Ross's comments on the "tin foil" thickness of the studs, but I think that might be more of a residential type thickness. I ran into that at the place I'm renting. But the studs at my place aren't the silver looking ones you see in houses, these are C looking metal studs that are pretty thick.

My solution was to put 2X4s lengthwise (or I've seen some people use 2X6/8/etc but I decided to do two 2X4s running parallel) to bolt the rig into. I had to locate the metal studs, pre-drilled pilot holes (it took a while to get through, I was surprised), screwed the wood to the studs using 3 1/2 inch long 5/16 bolts (I think) on every stud. I then pre-drilled and bolted the wall mount using 1/2 lag bolts into the wood.

Although I wasn't too enthused to find out the studs weren't wood they do seem solid, and knock on "metal studs" the rig is working well.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
Bill Duvall

Profile:

Rich

How long was the span of your rig? I am finding myself in the same perdicament with metal studs. My rig is going to span 60 feet total. There is load bearing beams from ground to ceiling every 20 feet.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Duvall View Post
Rich

How long was the span of your rig? I am finding myself in the same perdicament with metal studs. My rig is going to span 60 feet total. There is load bearing beams from ground to ceiling every 20 feet.
I just looked at your name and realized the rig at the throwdown you participated in on Sunday is in metal studs. Unless there is another William Duvall that Crossfits in northern Nevada that is. Lol
Old 11-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
Derrek Pratt

Profile:

If the metal studs are not part of a free floating wall (meaning they are attached to some structural element) then you should get some sort of engineered framing member. I'd use a Timberstrand LSL rim joist. They come in 14" height which should be big enough for the infinity rig. As Rich Case said above, then you need to find the studs, mark their location on the LSL and then pre-drill the holes for some 3-4" long screws that are threaded for metal, not wood. Hang the LSLs then pre drill them for the rig installation and mount your rig.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #10
Brent Amey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Case View Post
I understand Nick and Ross's comments on the "tin foil" thickness of the studs, but I think that might be more of a residential type thickness. I ran into that at the place I'm renting. But the studs at my place aren't the silver looking ones you see in houses, these are C looking metal studs that are pretty thick.

My solution was to put 2X4s lengthwise (or I've seen some people use 2X6/8/etc but I decided to do two 2X4s running parallel) to bolt the rig into. I had to locate the metal studs, pre-drilled pilot holes (it took a while to get through, I was surprised), screwed the wood to the studs using 3 1/2 inch long 5/16 bolts (I think) on every stud. I then pre-drilled and bolted the wall mount using 1/2 lag bolts into the wood.

Although I wasn't too enthused to find out the studs weren't wood they do seem solid, and knock on "metal studs" the rig is working well.
Hey Rich do you have a picture of your Rig mounted to the wall? I am running into the same problem. I was thinking of running 2x6 or 2x8's vertically. However, I would think it would be sturdier if I ran a 2X12 horizontally to go across multiple metal studs. Or maybe put 3/4 plywood on the first 12 feet of the wall to give it support and strength. It would cost me about $1000 for 60 feet of plywood 12 feet high though. I wish I had a member who was a contractor and could give me some advice