CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-14-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
Lauren Hall

Profile:
Veggie secrets? (Procrastination)

Ok, so I'm obviously lurking around the board to avoid doing real work, so bear with me. I do have a real question though.

I'm trying to add more veggies in ways that don't require eating a huge salad for every meal or counting out 300 carrot sticks.

One trick I have is to saute up some spinach or broccoli (sometimes I add both because I'm crazy like that) with my scrambled eggs in the morning. You can easily get a couple cups of spinach in with a couple eggs. Add a little goat cheese and you're in business.

Does anyone else have tips for sneaking in vegetables? Smoothies, casseroles, whatever?

Or, if you don't have anything veggie-related to post, write something so I don't have to do work.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
Ryan Whipple

Profile:
Re: Veggie secrets? (Procrastination)

Stews and soups. There's plenty of recipies out there, but let me know if you'd like an easy one.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
Daniel Olmstead

Profile:

Roasting - particularly in fall/winter. Throw a bunch of veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, onions, squash, yams...try different stuff) into a lasagna/roasting pan, toss with Olive Oil, salt and pepper, and roast at 400 for ~45 minutes (approx). EXTREMELY easy, and gets you a large quantity of very tasty veggies with minimal work. Good as is with some form of protein, and easy to refrigerate and use later.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Oh my gosh, I LOVE spinach in my eggs...and you can put a lot in there and not even notice. I've also put spinach in my smoothies, although beware of the funky color when mixed with peaches.

Have you tried making cauliflower mashed "potatoes"?

I like making stir frys also, where I just throw a handful of every veggie I got in the fridge into a pan with some Srihacha (spell check) sauce and garlic. Cabbage is a great addition to this one.

I might be avoiding work also, not sure yet. I've already accomplished quite a bit for only being here 1.5 hours.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
Laura Kurth

Profile:

soup is good - the last time I made it I used a bunch of onions, carrots, celery, some turnips and a potato - cubed and sauteed in some butter, then add stock and cook til all are tender and blend it up. Salt/pepper/whatever seasoning you like.

Obviously you could leave out the potato and put something else in there if you are strictly 'paleo'

I think basically you could use any combo of veggies, broth and blend. If you want a cream based soup add cream or half n half

I have a butternut squash sitting on my kitchen table, and a recipe from Williams Sonoma cookbook that basically involves the squash, an onion,stock and some spices I believe. Soup is easy!
Old 11-14-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
Lauren Hall

Profile:

Those are all awesome ideas! I'm definitely going to try the mashed cauliflower and the roasted veggies.

I also love soup! Laura - that one sounds great. Ryan - if you get a chance, can you shoot me the easy one you referred to?

Stirfry is always good, I suppose. And my mom makes a mean broccoli, mushroom, noodle casserole (with cheese) that you could probably make with spaghetti squash instead (if you're avoiding noodles). Hmmm.... lots of options.

I'm looking forward to making some soup this weekend.

(By the way, I just can't get over the dancing pepper... completely ridiculous, yet awesome at the same time).
Old 11-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

I make stew...impossible to mess up, and you can put almost anything in it. This recipe makes like 8-ish servings. Cut it in half or so if you don't want that much! You end up with tons of veggies and your protein all together.

#1..In large pot, heat:

* 30 oz canned tomato sauce
* 16 oz spciy mexican tomato sauce w/ jalapenos (just use more regular sauce if you don't like it a little spicy!)
* About 1/2 cup of water

#2...Add in tons of chopped vegetables...any kind you want. Last time I made this, I put in the following:

note: I usually nuke the hard vegetables for a few minutes to soften them up prior to adding them to the pot.

* 7 carrots
* 2 sweet potato
* 2 green peppers
* 1/2 head cauliflower
* 2 cups or so of spinach leaves

#3...Bring to a boil

#4...Add about 2lbs of meat. I use fish...red snapper or salmon, but you could put in anything. Probably be great with chicken.

#5...Simmer for about 30 minutes to cook the meat.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:02 PM   #8
Glenn Beeson

Profile:

Thanks Nancy for that post. Didn't know I was looking for that recipie, glad I found it.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:34 AM   #9
Ryan Whipple

Profile:

Here's my easy Beef and vegetables combo:

Olive Oil
2 cans beef broth
2 cans beef consume
2 lbs any lean cut of beef
flour
corn starch
one bag of frozen mixed veggies: I like the broccoli/carrots/caulifour myself

1. Cut the beef into little cubes.
2. Put some flour on top of the pile of beef cubes and mix it around until they have a light coating.
3. Warm a generous amount of olive oil in the pan, then add the beef. Brown for 10 minutes or so.
4. Add in the broth and consume. Simmer about 50 minutes. Add water if necessary.
5. About 10 minutes before the beef will be done, boil your veggies.
6. Thicken broth with corn starch as desired.
7. Spoon up your veggies, then cover them with the beef.

Ok, so it sounds a lot harder than it is. Really, it takes very little talent or timing; letting it simmer an hour instead of 50 mins doesn't really make a difference. Enjoy!
Old 11-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
John S Park

Profile:

hah, i throw a whole bunch of spinach on my eggs every morning also

i like to steam veggies or stir fry with my meat. i like my broccoli steamed. it gets moist, soft, and easy to chew