CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #11
Ryan Dell Whitley

Profile:
Re: "Tougher Than Crossfit" - Army Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Jesse Thompson View Post
Your comment might actually be more useless than his. His will spark a debate which will lead to some enlightenment. Yours stops short of sharing anything useful and simply implies you know it all.
I never said that I know it all. But claiming that because someone, at any time in their lives, has been associated with CrossFit must be "ripping off" or "copying" or a "derivative" of CrossFit is absolute inanity. I have never trained at Gym Jones or Sealfit. I have trained in the Ranger Athlete Warrior program, which was developed by Twight (I was not a Ranger or in BN). It is NOT a rehashed version of CF. It is a very specific program for a very specific population.

There is an idea that floats around the CF community that if someone mixes various modes of exercise, or does circuits for time, or does intervals, or is "hardcore" then they must be ripping off CF. I was doing a twenty minute circuit of pullups, pushups, and squats back in the 90s before CF MP ever existed. It was called wrestling practice. I did squats and powercleans mixed with 400m sprints also. This was called soccer practice. There is absolutely nothing new under the sun. This idea of the Gospel of CrossFit is an absolute turn off for 99% of the population with any type of serious conditioning background. That is my point.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
Bryan Rowland

Profile:

To ask for proof yes it you search the back log there was an article about 3-4 years ago about Gym Jones. A CF Affiliate owner went to his seminar to see what he had to offer. In his reporting he did mention they talked bad about CFHQ. He also said a lot of research was straight out of CF. As well the author gave a back round of the fall out with coach and Gym Jones.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #13
Bryan Rowland

Profile:

This is a link that gives back round info. I cannot find the one with the guy that went for training and reported.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/Cros...ark-Twight.pdf
Old 10-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #14
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Dell Whitley View Post
I never said that I know it all. But claiming that because someone, at any time in their lives, has been associated with CrossFit must be "ripping off" or "copying" or a "derivative" of CrossFit is absolute inanity. I have never trained at Gym Jones or Sealfit. I have trained in the Ranger Athlete Warrior program, which was developed by Twight (I was not a Ranger or in BN). It is NOT a rehashed version of CF. It is a very specific program for a very specific population.

There is an idea that floats around the CF community that if someone mixes various modes of exercise, or does circuits for time, or does intervals, or is "hardcore" then they must be ripping off CF. I was doing a twenty minute circuit of pullups, pushups, and squats back in the 90s before CF MP ever existed. It was called wrestling practice. I did squats and powercleans mixed with 400m sprints also. This was called soccer practice. There is absolutely nothing new under the sun. This idea of the Gospel of CrossFit is an absolute turn off for 99% of the population with any type of serious conditioning background. That is my point.
Ok now that makes a lot more sense. I agree with pretty much everything you've elaborated on - Crossfit definitely did not invent intense training...it's just marketing it a lot better than anyone else.

I was just annoyed because based on your previous short comment I assumed (sorry) that you were one of those critics who simply say "No, you're wrong" and add nothing more. But your opinion is obviously well-thought out - glad I was mistaken.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #15
Lewis Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Rowland View Post
This is a link that gives back round info. I cannot find the one with the guy that went for training and reported.
Here ya go. Slurp up that kool-aid, kiddo!

(WFS) http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...deGymJones.pdf
Old 10-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #16
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

I have enjoyed the resources Crossfit has afforded me through the journal and exposure to things I wouldn't have otherwise done. Now however I am aware of main page programming issues. Catch 22 for them is I have learned enough to know where I am headed and how to get there. Crossfit has some cool things going on with it though that others seem unable to touch.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:16 AM   #17
Lucas Bauer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Dunn View Post
Can you substantiate this, or is it just pure libelous gossip on your part?
Recently read about it. Theres an article in the CF Journal discussing it. Don't remember exactly where it is, but you can get to it from google. I did it when I was comparing the 2. Yes, it's an actual article in the journal!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #18
Eric J Leon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Dell Whitley View Post

Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder. I've only been on these forums for a few months myself but it doesn't take much to notice they are a place for constructive discussion, not dropping one liners.

My original post was about an article related to CrossFit, not about CrossFit inventing the wheel. I think it is safe to call SEALFIT a derivative of CrossFit, FWIW its in the name. Gym Jones/Mark Twight on the other hand is open to debate until you're blue in the face. It's a debate I'd rather not engage in because honestly I don't care.

Gannet wouldn't be publishing articles on Gym Jones and SEALFIT if it wasn't for CrossFit. Simply put these programs wouldn't have "made it onto the scene" if it wasn't for CrossFit.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #19
Ryan Dell Whitley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J Leon View Post
Gannet wouldn't be publishing articles on Gym Jones and SEALFIT if it wasn't for CrossFit. Simply put these programs wouldn't have "made it onto the scene" if it wasn't for CrossFit.
The Ranger Athlete Warrior Program was first imagined in 2005; Mark Twight was consulted shortly afterwards. This was as a result of him being so essential in developing modern military mountaineering techniques, not because of CrossFit. CrossFit was not mainstream in the military at that point. Twight wasn't even known for 300 at that point. So I would say that it is safe to say that Twight already had inroads with the military before CF became so prevalent among certain military units.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #20
Peter Queen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J Leon View Post
Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder. I've only been on these forums for a few months myself but it doesn't take much to notice they are a place for constructive discussion, not dropping one liners.

My original post was about an article related to CrossFit, not about CrossFit inventing the wheel. I think it is safe to call SEALFIT a derivative of CrossFit, FWIW its in the name. Gym Jones/Mark Twight on the other hand is open to debate until you're blue in the face. It's a debate I'd rather not engage in because honestly I don't care.
I could not agree with you more. The CF and JJ issue has been a very heated and contested discussion over the years. It is one I personally remember quite well. So maybe itís good to just let sleeping dogs lay. Iíve seen and experienced many other programs. Having said that, CF is my preferred exercise program of choice. But IMO, any program that getís you off youíre a$$ and keeps you motivated gets my respect as well.