CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-30-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
Christopher Sandy

Profile:
Help me plan the next 6 months

Hi guys,

About me: 23 year old male. Been CF'ing for 1,5 years, but not consistently because of a broken foot twice!!
Weight is 81kg ( 76kg a month ago) at 190cm.. Currently doing German volume, to gain size and strength! Planning on doing so for 3 more weeks, before moving on to a CF strength and conditioning program. Have been looking at S&CP v2, and is pretty convinced that it is the one for me, to gain size and strength.. Agree?
I was thinking on doing that for the rest of 2011, and do CFSB after that, to loose the fat that I've gained and gain/maintain strength.

Question: Is it possible to lean out while getting stronger, and is CFSB a good choice for this.. The main reason why I like the program, is because it allows me to do wods at my box, which I really enjoy!

Here's a list of my current numbers and (goals):
BS 10x10: 57kg (110kg 5rm)
BP 10x10: 53kg (85kg 5rm)
Press 10x10: 34kg (?)
Pullups 3xmax: 11-8-7
RingDips: 12-10-8
Deadlift: ? (140kg 5rm)

My nutrition is currently "a lot!!" while being healthy (including full grains, full grain pasta and so) Planning on keep this up 'till I want to lean out in the beginning on 2012, where I will switch to more paleo inspired, with a
lot of veggies, limited fullgrains, no fruit and little nuts and avocados..

How does everything sound? To summarize, I'm looking to increase mass and strength the rest of the year (or when I hit 85 kg), and then loose bf to 10-12% while increasing strength!

Thanks in advance!

Chris

My overall goal is to
Old 09-30-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: Help me plan the next 6 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Sandy View Post
My overall goal is to
This is the important part.......
Old 10-01-2011, 03:27 AM   #3
Christopher Sandy

Profile:

Brendan, I'm looking to increase mass and strength the rest of the year (or when I hit 85 kg), and then loose bf to 10-12% while increasing strength!

What I really wanna know is whether or not it is possible for me to increase strength, while leaning out with the nutrition i described? And is my programming good for this purpose?

I would love to hear from profiles like Eric on this. Generel advices are very welcome!

138 views and 1 reply, is there anything I can do to get more action on this topic?!

Thanks

Chris
Old 10-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

Check out Johnny Pain's section of strengthvillain.com (sometimes NOT WFS)

One of his main things is getting people big and strong without getting fat.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Our countries effort to go metric failed miserably. I can't think in metric units. This is probably why you have low responses.

OK your: M, 23 yo, 6'3", 179

Back Squat 242x5
Bench Press 187x5
Deadlift 308x5

I don't know what German volume is but if it involves 10x10 @ half of your 5 Rep work load I don't like it.

You are young and skinny. Young is good, skinny is bad. At 6'3", working out you need to weight 95 kg or more.

You need a better strength program, less metabolic conditioning and a lot of clean food to accomplish your goals.

Strength programs to consider: Simple Strength & Conditioning, Grey Skull Linear Progression, CrossFit Football, CrossFit Strength Bias. If you want Olympic lifting as well try Glen Pendlay's Super Total Program (It is outlined in an article on the Pendlay website).

Metabolic Conditioning should be no more then 3 times a week. Most of the time in the 10 to 12 minute range and nothing that will interfere with the next days lifting.

For your diet Zone type meals should work well. Just make sure they are big enough and 5 times a day. You will gain some body fat but not much. At 6'3" 179 you can't have much body fat to begin with. You will not make the strength and muscle gains you want unless your body has plenty of food.

If any of this is unclear ask more questions here, expect more people will respond.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
Christopher Sandy

Profile:

Brendan, thanks for taking the time to reply.
The thing is... your suggestions doesn't fit my goals. I have no interest in weighing 209lbs, I'm looking more to be around 176-185lbs.

I've decided to go with the CFSB. I've given my goals a lot of thought, and the buttom line is that I want to loose BF, while increasing strength. I have to much fat, especially around the belly, and it seems that I can't ignore the fact that I want it to go away

I've tried to type in my idea of what to eat to loose BF and increase strength. The result is 2600kcal, 238g protein, 94g carbs, 137g fat.
The diet mainly consist of meat, eggs (5 a day for breakfast), fish, veggies (is sweet potatoes a good choice?), butter and avocados. 3 big meals a day, 1 PWO whey shake+ sweet potatoe and 1-2 snacks.
How does this diet match my goals?

Once again, everyone is welcome to answer

Thanks!

Chris
Old 10-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

leangains.com
Old 10-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Brendan, thanks for taking the time to reply.
The thing is... your suggestions doesn't fit my goals. I have no interest in weighing 209lbs, I'm looking more to be around 176-185lbs.

I've decided to go with the CFSB. I've given my goals a lot of thought, and the buttom line is that I want to loose BF, while increasing strength. I have to much fat, especially around the belly, and it seems that I can't ignore the fact that I want it to go away

I've tried to type in my idea of what to eat to loose BF and increase strength. The result is 2600kcal, 238g protein, 94g carbs, 137g fat.
The diet mainly consist of meat, eggs (5 a day for breakfast), fish, veggies (is sweet potatoes a good choice?), butter and avocados. 3 big meals a day, 1 PWO whey shake+ sweet potatoe and 1-2 snacks.
How does this diet match my goals?
Once again, everyone is welcome to answer

Thanks!

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hoffman View Post
Check out Johnny Pain's section of strengthvillain.com (sometimes NOT WFS)

One of his main things is getting people big and strong without getting fat.

Did you check out Nicks suggestion? It's worth a look.

Last edited by Doug Blankenship : 10-04-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:04 AM   #9
Christopher Sandy

Profile:

From what I know, it's about adding size and not so much on loosing fat (which is my goal)

Is my diet and programming good for adding STRENGTH and loosing fat?
Old 10-05-2011, 04:05 AM   #10
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
From what I know, it's about adding size and not so much on loosing fat (which is my goal)

Is my diet and programming good for adding STRENGTH and loosing fat?
Then you didn't read all of it properly. JP is getting people strong and big while losing bodyfat at the same time.