CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
Seth Spritz

Profile:
LA Times "A Reversal on Carbs" article

Here's what the mass media is saying today about carbs & fat ... http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-...431,full.story (WFS)

Last edited by Seth Spritz : 12-20-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
Michael Jarossy

Profile:
Re: LA Times "A Reversal on Carbs" article

Quote:
"If Americans could eliminate sugary beverages, potatoes, white bread, pasta, white rice and sugary snacks, we would wipe out almost all the problems we have with weight and diabetes and other metabolic diseases."
Hm... where have I heard that before?
Old 12-21-2010, 02:38 AM   #3
Doug Lantz

Profile:
Startling "new" warning about carbs

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec...carbs-20101220 (WFS)

I seem to have seen something like this before....

Everything old is new again someday right ?
Old 12-21-2010, 04:08 AM   #4
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

*sigh* (wfs)
Old 12-21-2010, 04:10 AM   #5
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Startling "new" warning about carbs

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showpo...43&postcount=3 (wfs)
Old 12-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
Lewis Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
*sigh* (wfs)
Always follow the money....

FAO partnerships with the private sector

The private sector is an important ally for FAO in the fight against hunger. A thriving private sector is key to economic growth and sustainable development of agriculture, food, fisheries and forestry sectors. Moreover, much of the financing needed to attain the MDGs will have to come from private resources and investment.

FAO works with a wide range of international and national private sector partners from various parts of the agriculture and food chain. It actively promotes national policies that foster private investment and private sector growth. FAO assists Member States, especially developing countries, to strengthen the local private sector and particularly agro-industry, business and farmersí associations.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Dunn View Post
Always follow the money....

FAO partnerships with the private sector

The private sector is an important ally for FAO in the fight against hunger. A thriving private sector is key to economic growth and sustainable development of agriculture, food, fisheries and forestry sectors. Moreover, much of the financing needed to attain the MDGs will have to come from private resources and investment.

FAO works with a wide range of international and national private sector partners from various parts of the agriculture and food chain. It actively promotes national policies that foster private investment and private sector growth. FAO assists Member States, especially developing countries, to strengthen the local private sector and particularly agro-industry, business and farmersí associations.
Your point? Farmers who go bankrupt and lose their land can't grow much...

Katherine
Old 12-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
Lewis Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Your point? Farmers who go bankrupt and lose their land can't grow much...

Katherine
I'm not faulting the goals of the organization. But it authors an analysis titled "Carbohydrate Food Intake and Energy Balance" which, among other things, draws conclusions about the role of carbohydrate intake and obesity. While the FAO may not have the same stake in this issue as, say, The National Corn Growers Association, the goals I quoted will at least make me temper my reading of their analysis.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
Doug Lantz

Profile:

Note the following quotes from the FAO article -

Excess consumption of energy in any form leads to accumulation of body fat. There is no serious scientific evidence to suggest, however, that diets high in carbohydrate promote weight gain when consumed in amounts which do not exceed energy requirements.

Eating a high carbohydrate diet reduces the likelihood of overeating and, if overeating occurs, results in slightly less of the excess energy being stored as adipose tissue.

Even if we assume this premise that high carb diets don't lead to fat gain IF people eat a maintenance number of calories (which I don't believe based on my own experience) the article fails to address the other and most important dangers of excessive carb consumption - diabetes.

The other fallacy I see here is that the article fails to note that it's FAR easier to eat too many calories when consuming excess carbs because they don't produce satiety as well as a diet that contains adequate protein and fat and quickly make you hungry for more.

I know from harsh experience that I was hungry at least every 2 hours when I was eating the way I was eating before - mostly high glycemic carbs.
And I was fat, probably 30% bodyfat or even higher.

As soon as started Zoning I could easily go 4 hours without hunger AND without feeling like I was on sedatives due to my plummeting blood sugar.

My bodyfat disappeared so fast I couldn't believe it, I actually lost too much weight. I'm 100% sure that wasn't just from eating fewer calories.

And would the authors of this study care to explain to me why I see so many fat people in the break room eating a cup o' noodles ?

It contains about 4 calories (all high glycemic carbs of course) , I'm not sure how these people can even survive much less be fat.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
Doug Lantz

Profile:

"If Americans could eliminate sugary beverages, potatoes, white bread, pasta, white rice and sugary snacks, we would wipe out almost all the problems we have with weight and diabetes and other metabolic diseases."

IMO, this can't be repeated often enough, it should appear in the media somewhere every single day until it becomes a reality.