CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-17-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
Neil Schimke

Profile:
Writing an "causal" argument essay about Crossfit vs Army PT

Hello fellow Crossfiters,
I'm writing a "causal" argument essay on why Crossfit is a better physical training program for the US Army than the current one it uses. I'm looking for studies, or maybe even logged training journals to prove my argument. Anything along these lines would be beneficial. If anyone knows where I can find some credible information on this subject, I would appreciate the help.
SGT Neil Schimke
Old 03-17-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: Writing an "causal" argument essay about Crossfit vs Army PT

As far as I know the only data available is the Canadian Army's report.

What on earth do you mean be a "causal essay"?
Old 03-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
Neil Schimke

Profile:

"Causal" as in cause and effect... For example, performing Crossfit 5 times a week causes better strength and cardio vascular gains than weight lifting and running seperately...etc, etc
Old 03-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
Dan Castillo

Profile:

Neil, I'm a SSG at Ft. Lewis (RESERVES) and have been doing XFIT for almost 2 years now down at RainierCrossfit in Puyallup. I will be gettining my level one cert this weekend. I'm also a Master Fitness Qualified and have gone to the new PRT (Physical Readines Training). I would love to talk this over with someone in the Military, especially if it went somewhere higher. If you'd like to come down to RainierCrossfit I'm sure Kurtis and Laurie Bowler would answer any questions you might have.

Dan
Old 03-18-2008, 06:09 AM   #5
Todd Angel

Profile:

Neil,
I am a SFC in the Army and appreciate your endeavor. I wish that I had studies on its effectiveness and the like, but I don't. I can definently tell you this, I started Crossfit in 2005 and have since never looked back. In my experience, CF offers exactly what it says; "people who's life depends on their fitness, do CF". I don't want to go into a CF commercial or anything; however, I have my PLT Lfollow as closely as possible (equipment or #'s) the WOD and have used CF type training to fix any substandard soldiers that I have come across if you know what I mean. We have been pretty effective on each accord. Good luck with your study, and I would love to see the finished product. Take it easy.
Todd
Old 03-18-2008, 07:37 AM   #6
Wayne Sauve

Profile:

Neil

The data that Brandon refers to, is published in CF Journal #41 Jan 06, "Crossfit Validity Tested".

Wayne
Old 03-19-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
Nathan Francis

Profile:

I could not agree with all of you more. After being in for allmost 9 years, I am sorely disappointed with the Army's PT program. I am a Engineer BNCOC instructor on Fort Leonard Wood, and got back from Iraq in September. So now I have witnessed the Army PT program failing in combat, as well as in TRADOC. I can't answer your question, or provide any credible data. However, I can attest to the effectiveness of Crossfit, and how it would relate to the rigors of combat, as well as overall fitness in the ARMY. I would definetely like to see this topic grow. Have a good one.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
Maryanne Scales

Profile:

Do an internet search on Marines and functional fitness. There is a MARADMIN that you should pull up when you do this (in addition to an article from a past CrossFit Journal and a lot of other information).

The Marines are transitioning to a functional fitness base for their PT program. The Marines don't make changes lightly. There should be some good information there, and you might be able to find out how to get a hold of the individuals who helped push this movement. Coach Glassman is given credit in a document called "Concept for Functional Fitness." If you read through the document, it is clear that this is very heavily based on CrossFit concepts. I would imagine that if you keep digging, you will find at least one POC that can help you track down bullet points and, hopefully, data, for your essay.

I hope that other services will jump on board! Good luck!
Old 03-21-2008, 03:07 PM   #9
Shane Skowron

Profile:

The Navy has implemented Crossfit for SEAL training in BUD/S, in SQT, and the Teams. I realize you asked for Army, but in this case it seems relevant to your need.

Mentioned here (wfs): http://www.navyseals.com/fitness-center
Old 03-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #10
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

I'm about to enter basic, and I'm literally afraid that I won't be able to continue CrossFit for months and months. If I'm about to go to war, I don't want some paper pusher to tell me to do jumping jacks and that Fran won't help me get stronger, and by the way, you really need to do some cardio