CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-04-2006, 07:03 AM   #1
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Who funded this research? The soft drink manufacturers?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/dietfitness.html?in_articl e_id=385065&in_page_id=1798&ct=5
Old 05-04-2006, 08:12 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
That's quite a jump to make without a speck of real research behind it, saying that tooth decay is solely the result of acidity of the food. When people try to make these jumps in logic with "health foods", they are roundly knocked down due to the "lack of evidence".

The important aspect of acidity in the mouth is not the acidity of the foods while they are being chewed. They are only in the mouth for a short time. The important factor is the acidity (pH) of the saliva, or what I jokingly call "tooth marinade". We always have saliva in our mouth, its pH is dependent upon many things, mainly the balance of our diet. This is the major effector. Dentists (my father included) like nutrition "sound bites", it makes their work easier--there's also the sad fact that very few people respect the nutritional advice of a dentist (so many don't even bother).

I like the part about tomatoes not becoming more acidic. This is because they're already significantly acidic, that's why they have to line cans/tins of tomatoes and why one isn't supposed to cook tomatoes in various kinds of plastics/pots/pans (tomatoes are acidic enough to leach metals and plastics).

(Message edited by guerilastrength on May 04, 2006)