CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
Andre Saeteren
Member Andre Saeteren is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Trondheim  Sor Trondelag
Posts: 4
Eleiko equipment from eleikoshop.se - what to buy

I'm planning to buy an Eleiko bar and Eleiko bumper plates to have in my basement gym from eleikoshop.se. Since I live in Norway, I can take a two hour drive to Sweden and pick up the equipment there - no shipping charges.

I'll be doing squats, bench presses, deadlifts, power cleans etc. Basic barbell exercises, in other words.

I have some questions:

What bar should I buy? The cheapest is the Eleiko sport training bar, but I've heard that the weight might be off on it, that it bends easier than the weightlifting training and competition bars. Is this the case? Is there a difference between the weightlifting training bar and the weightlifting competition bar in terms of durability? Is the training bar more durable than the competition bar? What about resale value?

Which bumper plates should I buy? It seems like Eleiko has two kinds of training plates: one kind which is black and has color coded writing on the plates (blue writing for 20 kg, red for 25 kg etc), and one kind kind which is color coded (the 20 kg ones are blue, the 25 kg ones are red etc). And they have one kind of competition plates, which look the same as the color coded training plates. The odd thing is that the colored training plates are more expensive than the colored competition plates. What's up with this?

If I had lived in the US, I'd buy a B&R bar or a Burgener bar or something and Rogue bumper plates. In the US, these are a lot cheaper than the Eleiko equipment I've been looking at, but to get Rogue to ship the equipment to Europe/Norway is costly, and in addition there'll be taxest, toll etc. So basically it'll be cheaper to buy an Eleiko WL Competition bar and Eleiko WL Competition plates for me than to buy a B&R bar and 140 kg of Rogue training bumpers.

Many thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
Keith Miller
Member Keith Miller is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lewisville  TX
Posts: 691
Re: Eleiko equipment from eleikoshop.se - what to buy

The weightlifting training bar and competition bars are practically the same bar, the comp bar is more expensive because it's certified by the IWF that it meets all of the requirements to be used in a sanctioned meet. Same with the colored bumpers, they are made the same, but the comp ones are certified by IWF!!

I don't know anything about the other bar you mentioned. You might want to email someone at Eleiko and ask them about it, though!! That's what I would do!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:00 AM   #3
Lincoln Brigham
Member Lincoln Brigham is offline
 
Lincoln Brigham's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Kirkland  WA
Posts: 3,987
Re: Eleiko equipment from eleikoshop.se - what to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Saeteren View Post
What bar should I buy? The cheapest is the Eleiko sport training bar, but I've heard that the weight might be off on it, that it bends easier than the weightlifting training and competition bars. Is this the case?
The training bar is indeed about 1kg lighter than the competition bar. No, it should not bend easier.

Quote:
Is there a difference between the weightlifting training bar and the weightlifting competition bar in terms of durability?
Doubt it. They're probably about the same.
Quote:
What about resale value?
Are you nuts? Nobody ever sells their Eleiko!

Quote:
Which bumper plates should I buy?
Colored. They look better and you'll reduce the number of misloads.
Quote:
The odd thing is that the colored training plates are more expensive than the colored competition plates. What's up with this?
Double check that. That doesn't sound right.

Quote:
If I had lived in the US, I'd buy a B&R bar or a Burgener bar or something and Rogue bumper plates.
I do live in the U.S., I've trained with Burgener, and my bar is an Eleiko.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:13 AM   #4
Alberto Giuliani
Member Alberto Giuliani is offline
 
Alberto Giuliani's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lugano  Switzerland
Posts: 6
Re: Eleiko equipment from eleikoshop.se - what to buy

Hi Andre,

Try to contact sales(at)rogueeurope.eu they are in finland an import rogue stuff. I ordered the hi-temp bumpers from them. They have an exellent service and are really kind. the shipping costs are not to bad. for 130kg bumpers i payed about 100€ to Switzerland.

You should find the rogue and pendlay bars to!

I search in different places here in europe and they have the best prices for the bumpers. I didn't ask the prices of the bar because I got my pendlay from the uk from strength power speed.

hope it helps
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Andre Saeteren
Member Andre Saeteren is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Trondheim  Sor Trondelag
Posts: 4
Re: Eleiko equipment from eleikoshop.se - what to buy

Thanks, everyone, for the input.

I went for the Eleiko Olympic WL Training Bar. It very nice, I think

I've also bought a pair of Eleiko's 0,5 kg, 1 kg, 1,5 kg, 2 kg, 2,5 kg, 5 kg plates.

If money wasn't an issue, I would have ordered the new colored Eleiko 5 year warranty training bumper plates, but since I have other things to spend money on at this point in my life, I ordered a 140 kgs of the slightly more affordable black Eleiko 2 year warranty training bumper plates. The reason why the training plates I mentioned in the opening post were more expensive than the competition plates is that the colored training plates at eleikoshop.se are the new 5 year warranty plates, whereas the colored competition plates are the old 2 year warranty ones. I ordered the old 2 year warranty black training plates, which were the most affordable.

I'll be able to drive over to Sweden in a week or so and pick up the bumper plates, I think.

Pics of the bar and the small plates are attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eleikobar0.jpg
Views:	1025
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	8042   Click image for larger version

Name:	eleikobar1.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	8043   Click image for larger version

Name:	eleikobar2.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	8044   Click image for larger version

Name:	eleikobar3.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	8045   Click image for larger version

Name:	eleikoplates1.jpg
Views:	959
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	8046  


Last edited by Andre Saeteren; 07-08-2011 at 03:04 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham
Member Lincoln Brigham is offline
 
Lincoln Brigham's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Kirkland  WA
Posts: 3,987
Re: Eleiko equipment from eleikoshop.se - what to buy

That's almost exactly what I've been using for the past dozen years - the training bar and the black training bumpers. You should get a lot of good workouts with that setup.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
Zach S
Time-Out Zach S is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Duluth  MN
Posts: 492
Re: Eleiko equipment from eleikoshop.se - what to buy

Thats real sweet gear dude. Some of the best weightlifting equipment on the market, it should last you a lifetime.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #8
Jan Arild Austnes
Member Jan Arild Austnes is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ålesund  More og Romsdal
Posts: 4
Re: Eleiko equipment from eleikoshop.se - what to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Saeteren View Post
Thanks, everyone, for the input.

I went for the Eleiko Olympic WL Training Bar. It very nice, I think

I've also bought a pair of Eleiko's 0,5 kg, 1 kg, 1,5 kg, 2 kg, 2,5 kg, 5 kg plates.

If money wasn't an issue, I would have ordered the new colored Eleiko 5 year warranty training bumper plates, but since I have other things to spend money on at this point in my life, I ordered a 140 kgs of the slightly more affordable black Eleiko 2 year warranty training bumper plates. The reason why the training plates I mentioned in the opening post were more expensive than the competition plates is that the colored training plates at eleikoshop.se are the new 5 year warranty plates, whereas the colored competition plates are the old 2 year warranty ones. I ordered the old 2 year warranty black training plates, which were the most affordable.

I'll be able to drive over to Sweden in a week or so and pick up the bumper plates, I think.

Pics of the bar and the small plates are attached.
Nice gear. Been thinking about buying just about the same gear as you. Where in sweden did you pick that up ? And dare I ask how much it cost you ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
Jeff Schanz
Member Jeff Schanz is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Barnhart  MO
Posts: 37
Re: Eleiko equipment from eleikoshop.se - what to buy

Has Eleiko fixed all of their problems?

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=72649

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
Nalin Prabhu
Member Nalin Prabhu is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Troy  OH
Posts: 562
Re: Eleiko equipment from eleikoshop.se - what to buy

I was at the WL Champoionships @ the Arnold Sports Festival in Columbus a couple of weeks ago. Eleiko was the main sponsor.

They had FOUR bars have to be replaced off the platform because the would bind and not spin. FOUR in half a day.

In addition, 2 collars failed- one of them failed during a lift and the plates almost slid off. The second one the handle fell off the collar mid lift.
__________________
5'9"/ 175lb/ 31yrs.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Equipment buy Matt Payne Equipment 5 04-19-2010 05:03 PM
Buy this equipment? Jim Luckey Equipment 8 02-03-2009 02:11 PM
eleiko - crossfit equipment Daniel Gam Equipment 12 01-28-2009 06:54 AM
Where can I buy equipment online? Christopher C Brophy Equipment 5 11-16-2005 05:01 PM
Where to buy equipment from? Kevin Roddy Starting 1 05-29-2003 06:18 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:29 AM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.