CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #11
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Gym in Monterrey, Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Rossing View Post
By the way, I have never been a customer of or had any relationship with any of these vendors.
I *have* purchased from both AF and Rogue and have *not* purchased from Fringe. This is definitely not a thing that I have against AF or Rogue. I just don't feel that Alex was treated fairly here.

- Mark
Old 11-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
Harley Duncan

Profile:

Mark,

I agree with you regarding the dubious banning of Fringe from the board but of course if you go to the front page of CrossFit.com this is who CF lists as equipment providers.

Ab Mat

Again Faster

Bigger Faster Stronger

Buddy Lee Jump Ropes

Concept II

D-Ball

Eleiko

Elite FTS

Garage Gym Store

Gill Athletics

Iron Mind

Ivanko

NavySEALS.com

Norberts Athletic Products

Pendlay Bars

Power Ring Training

Power Systems

Rage Fitness

Rogue Fitness Equipment

Rubber Man

Sorinex

Spieth Anderson

SST

Stairmaster

Strength Power Speed Co

Stud Bar Pullup Bar

York Barbell Co

Therefore despite Alex / Peter at Fringe running a reputable business and being a stand-up supplier / information resource (a claim many CF'ers can attest to) he is apparently not one of the "chosen" few like Jon at AF so apparently they get unceremoniously banned.

If they came on and blasted a sales advertisement I could understand but this was an inquiry that was answered and in fact they even advised the poster to PM them off board.

Not sure who decides who gets to be on the exclusive providers list and thus subsequently is approved to respond to CF’ers who are inquiring about where they can buy product but obviously there is no standard or criteria (at least not one that’s being fairly applied).

(Full disclosure – I am a rep for Troy Barbell and Fringe is one of the dealers that rep our products as well as those of our competitors.)

Last edited by Harley Duncan; 11-01-2012 at 10:01 AM..
Old 11-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #13
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

There is just one set of site rules that (theoretically) everyone has to abide by, including the official equipment providers.

If there is some other set of rules for the AFs, Rogues, and other "big dogs" of the community, it should be posted for all to see.

Failing to do so simply makes the banning of Fringe's Alex Keller (just one example) look like an anti-competitive act to me.

- Mark
Old 11-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
Mike M. Jones

Profile:

Interesting points made by other posters.... Do new vendors need to "register" with CF HQ before responding to posts for direct equipment requests? Seems like it is stifling the free market for reputable people who offer a service for good products. If a board admin could clarify I would be interested in listening...
Old 11-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #15
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M. Jones View Post
Do new vendors need to "register" with CF HQ before responding to posts for direct equipment requests?
Not to the best of my knowledge.

Quote:
Seems like it is stifling the free market for reputable people who offer a service for good products. If a board admin could clarify I would be interested in listening...
Ditto.

- Mark
Old 11-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #16
Jon Hanover

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
I *have* purchased from both AF and Rogue and have *not* purchased from Fringe. This is definitely not a thing that I have against AF or Rogue. I just don't feel that Alex was treated fairly here.

- Mark
Wow, crazy.

Camille wrote, "We won't be hearing from Mr. Keller anymore as he has violated the Site Rules by using this board to profit."

Yet it seems like what AF did, and what efringe did were the exact same thing. Neither should be banned, as there are posts on here that help equipment suppliers, and there are posts here that help people who want to build their own stuff.

I'm in no way involved with fringe, AF, or Rogue - and respect all of them... but jeeze, this looks like obvious preferential treatment towards AF... I read a lot of Peter's posts, and while he was repping his company here and there, he always had 100% spot on advice, and each post was helpful.... sucks to lose him on these boards. I feel the same way for Bill, Jon, and others who have companies but are active on these boards. I think the only people who shouldn't be tolerated are people who provide crap service or crap products... they aren't helping anyone, only themselves.

Would love to see eFringe's account reinstated and an apology... but hey, this is real life, and when you're a big player, you play by different rules.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #17
David Kiesling

Profile:

If AF has that much pull with Crossfit Inc, perhaps in the spirit of sportsmanship Jon from AF could ask someone to reinstate Peter from Fringe. Just a thought.

CF Inc will set forum rules according to what they feel is best for business. That includes keeping forum members happy. Happy members, among other things, hang out on the site and keep generating content (threads) for the search engines to bring even more people in. If enough forum members request a change, their perception of what is best for business may change.

Last edited by David Kiesling; 11-02-2012 at 02:40 PM..
Old 11-03-2012, 05:32 AM   #18
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

I'd like to keep this at the top so that it gets some attention.

Again, nothing against other vendors, but the Kellers are class acts and I think they are being treated unfairly. It doesn't appear that they think its too much of a big deal but I'd like to help if possible, I loved hearing their input on a lot of things.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #19
Mike Hollister

Profile:

yeah I always found them to helpful. They would post stuff other than "selling their wares" and I would like to see them back on here.

The fact is that HQ doesn't owe us anything. Not like we pay to be here. So I wouldn't expect a response.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:52 AM   #20
Rich Case

Profile:

Camille Lore, several members have what appears to be the same and valid concern as to why Alex was banned, but not Jon? I've used the CF Message board to find, see first hand reviews, and made decisions on whether to purchase from Rogue (did), AF (did) and Fringe Sport (did) based off end user feedback.

How this gets you banned:

Hi Ricardo! XXXXX is in Austin, Texas- we are just an hour North of San Antonio.

You can call us or email sales @

Subsequent Post: Ricardo, yes we do! Let's take this to email and off the forums- sales at NO

But this doesn't:
Ricardo,

We ship to Mexico quite often, and can help you with a full quote if you'd like. I know Mexico is generally underserved with equipment for CrossFit, and we're working hard at XX to change that.

You can email our staff at service@xxx or call xxx. We'll get you squared away.

In fact, blanking out the company names, coming to this thread only reading this post tell me which company is which, and why you'd ban either or both?

Basically, if you follow threads from Mexico what you've done is potentially hinder CF growth due to the cost of equipment (a common post I see from Mexican would be affiliates) and/or just give preferential treatment to a vendor. Whatever the motivation is you have potentially cost Ricardo more in shipping cost, etc who is inquiring from a "generally underserved" market. Both companies made a reply off an end user request, neither company made an unsolicited brand new post asking for business from Mexico.

I appreciate the message board, and surely don't want to get banned for this reply, nor do I want any ill will towards or from any of the vendors mentioned, but I think it is clear several members feel something is wrong with what occurred in the original thread posted below.

As much as I enjoy Bill, Jon, Alex's and several others posts on what they offer when specific questions arise, consideration should be made to reinstate Alex, or ban all (not the way I'd prefer you went).

Original Thread:
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread...12#post1104512

Respectfully,

Rich
CFL1