CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Francis Palattao

Profile:
Rogue S2 Squat Rack

Hi Everyone,

Really interested in purchasing this squat rack.

I'm thinking if I should purchase the set of safety spotters.

Also any recommendations on getting just the skinny bar versus the fat/skinny bar.

I will be using this for squats and for kipping pullups.

Links safe for work.

http://www.roguecanada.ca/s2-squat-stand.php

I'm curious on the rocking/stability of the S2 during kipping. I'm around 5'8" and around 175lbs.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Dan Thomas

Profile:
Re: Rogue S2 Squat Rack

I have an S-2 with a single skinny bar. I also have the spotter arms and vertical plate storage.

I'm 6'1" 215# and the single bar is within arms' reach if I stand on my tip toes. I can kip & T2B with plenty of ground clearance. At 5'8" you could do the combo fat/skinny bar with no issues.

With respect to the stand tipping... you'll either need to weigh it down (plate storage pins, sandbags, etc.) or bolt it, if you plan to kip. It wouldn't be necessary for strict movements.

Let me be very clear about the spotter arms: In my opinion, if you lift alone they are a necessity. They have saved my neck dozens of times, literally.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Dan Thomas; 02-12-2013 at 06:39 PM..
Old 02-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
Francis Palattao

Profile:

Thanks Dan, when you say vertical plate storage did you mean this?

All links safe for work.

http://www.roguecanada.ca/rogue-vert...te-storage.php

Did you purchase the single plate or double plate storage. Also i'm guessing I would need to purchase 2 of each right?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
Mike Gin

Profile:

Probably the determining factor with the single or double pull-up bar is your ceiling height. My garage has 8' ceilings so I went with the fat/skinny bar. I couldn't put the single bar at full height without hitting my head on the ceiling. In theory I could've just lowered the single bar, but figured why not have the versatility of the dual bar - same cost I believe. I have the fat bar lower so I can do different grip work - I have another pull-up bar mounted to the ceiling that is standard thickness. If you have lots of overhead clearance (10'+) I would go with the single bar so you can do bar muscle ups and accommodate taller friends if they ever workout with you.

I second the safety spotters and vertical plate storage - that's what I have. I load 410# of bumpers on them and it is rock solid. Single plate storage so your J-cups have room. Buy two so you balance things out.

Last edited by Mike Gin; 02-12-2013 at 10:35 PM..
Old 02-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #5
Chris Jones

Profile:

agree with all of the above. I have the single skinny bar mounted all the way at the top because im 6' with long arms and can reach it without even being on my toes. If you kip the unit will need to be weighted or bolted to the floor or a wodden platform. I dont have the spotter arms yet because im low on cash after buying the rack and a couple more bumpers, but plan on picking them up as soon as i can. I lift in my garage when the wife is at work, so if i drop 300lbs on me anywhere its not going to be pretty.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
Patrick Weaver

Profile:

I have the S2 as well, with the single bar option. If you are wondering about stability of single bar versus the double bar I can assure the single bar is rock solid. I do not have mine bolted down, but I have the squat stand base storage pins (came with one on each side)
http://www.roguecanada.ca/rogue-squa...se-storage.php (WFS)
I did get one of the vertical plate storage arms that I have mounted at the top for my change plates of 10's, 5's, 2.5's

I kip hard at times so I also put a 45lb plate on each side of the front too and it doesn't go anywhere. I'm 5'11 175lbs.

I do not have the safety spotter arms. I have never actually used them in any fashion so to be honest I'm not sure how to employ them...
Old 02-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #7
Snir Golan

Profile:

i just got my S2 a couple weeks ago and i love it. i went with the fat/skinny double bar and honestly, if i could do it again, i would have gone with only the skinny single because i am tall. however, i decided to keep the fat/skinny so my wife can use it for jumping pullups and since i also have a ceiling mounted pullup bar that i use for kipping, its no big deal.

as for the spotter arms, in my opinion they are a must if you workout alone. i use them for benching, cleans from hang, back squats and pretty much everything else.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
Patrick Weaver

Profile:

can you use the spotter arms like boxes that you snatch/clean from? that's a great idea!!! That would be cheaper than boxes and way less space!!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
Glenn Gress

Profile:

I can't speak for the S2 but being that I'm almost 6"3' I have the S3 with a single bar bolted into the ground with vertical plate storage. My ceiling is about 12 feet so I can do bar muscle ups (once I learn them) on my rack. it was already sturdy with the plate storage, however for the extra $20 I wanted to reassure myself i wouldnt have any issues. This thing is now basically as sturdy as any piece of crossfit equiptment I've ever used. I just personally think the single bar is more versitile (bar muscle up capable) as well as more safe, not looking to smash my forehead off the double bar on a chest to bar. Also if you plan on benching a lot off your rack I would recommend getting a weight tree or DIY storage instead of the vertial plate storage because I have had issues with the weights on my bar bumping my stored plates. It is a cool rack though and can do almost everything, the add ons of the spotter arms and matador as well as hanging rings from it makes it, in my opinion, the best piece of equiptment for a 1 man tight on space garage gym. I think you'll really like it, tremendus bang for your buck.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
Rob Carrillo

Profile:

more positive feedback for the S-2 with single pull-up bar and safety spotters. I'm 6'0" and have no problems reaching the bar...and I can't recall whether or not I have to stand on the tips of my toes or not.

I would recommend the safety spotters, unless you plan on dumping any failed back / front squat reps. the safety spotters are definitely a confidence booster and will allow you to put a little more weight on the bar without worrying about failing.

you will have to back the rack up off the wall a little if you use the vertical storage, which I didn't like initially, but I soon realized I had to back it up anyway for toes to bar; so I may eventually order a set (you will need the longer bolts). I just stacked my bumpers on the cross member / base for stability while doing toes to bar.

as was mentioned earlier, stick with the single vertical storage to avoid sacrificing precious j-cup real estate.