CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-13-2005, 04:08 PM   #1
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Don't get too excited...just a proposal.

http://today.reuters.com/News/newsArticle.aspx?type=healthNews&storyID=2005-07-1 3T210131Z_01_N13669357_RTRIDST_0_HEALTH-SOFTDRINKS-DC.XML

Individuals, not the government, are in the best position to make the food and beverage choices that are right for them," said Susan Neeley, head of the American Beverage Association (ABA).

Is it surprising that the head of the American Beverage Association is against this? They have also said that calories and ingredients are already listed...because that seems to have had some effect. I doubt there'll be any changes in consumer behavior as long as drinks are so cheap. A convenience store chain in Cincy advertises any size fountain drink including the 44oz for $.69. That's ridiculously hard for sugar addicts to pass up.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:21 AM   #2
Don Woodson

Profile:
I don't think "warnings" on anything ever prevent anything. Like the warnings on cigarette packs. Totally useless. When it comes to indulgences, many, MANY humans aren't much smarter than lab rats. A rat, once hooked on cocaine, when given a choice between cocaine and food, will starve itself to death. Likewise, everybody has been warned and knows that methamphetamine literally eats holes in your brain and makes you sell your own children, but that doesn't even slow a meth head down. Granted soda pop isn't in the same category as drugs, but when you consider obesity, diabetes and the resultant death, the end result is the same. Putting a warning on pop cans is just another waste of time IMO.
Then there's the "hit 'em in the pocketbook" theory, which does have more effect on people than simple warnings, but now you're affecting commerce and the almighty dollar. If everyone suddenly stopped drinking soda, it would affect everybody from the sugar growers to factory workers, chemists, truckers, mechanics, retailers, dentists, doctors, pharmaceutical companies, mortuaries etc, and let's not forget our beloved lawyers who sort this whole mess out :kiss:; all the way up to the tax collectors (gubbamint), who can't collect taxes from unemployed people. And if you can't collect taxes, who's gonna pay the congressmen, police and military?
In a nutshell, the terrorists win.
We can't have that, now can we? :proud:
Sad fact of life, but oil sugar and fat = money, and money rules.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:22 AM   #3
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Like the logic Don...

Aush
Old 07-14-2005, 10:51 AM   #4
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Interesting logic, Dan. Never heard it put that way.

I'll keep drinking my water, though.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:20 PM   #5
Don Woodson

Profile:
Me too. Water works great, tastes great, and no one profits from it but me, for a change.
And what is this "logic" anyway? :crazy:
Old 07-15-2005, 01:13 AM   #6
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Oh, Logic...I think it's like feathers, but sticky...and heavier. gotta be heavier, feathers are really light.

Aush
Old 07-15-2005, 04:54 AM   #7
Don Woodson

Profile:
Never listen to a man that wears his mask on top of his head and keeps his finger in the trigger guard.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:51 AM   #8
Steve Shafley

Profile:
I am a big fan of tea. Iced tea. Regular, green or mate.