CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-27-2006, 06:28 AM   #1
Simon Benoit

Profile:
Hi guys!

I started crossfitting not so long ago and had to stop due to medical reasons. Now I'm back and the only thing keeping me from training as I would like to is money.

I live in montreal, my appartment's on the third floor and the neighbourhood isn't very friendly. Before I would spend 30$ a week to train in a gym but I don't have that kind of budget right now...

Any suggestions?
Old 05-27-2006, 08:22 AM   #2
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Simon, welcome back to CrossFit.
You might want to use sandbags for training at this time.
They are cheap to make, and not very noisy.
Of course, body-weight exercises are free!
Hope that helps.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:39 AM   #3
Will Nuse

Profile:
Okay, I'm going to see if I can dig up all the links to stuff you might be able to use. Bear in mind I am by no means a seasoned CrossFitter or an expert; I've been absorbing as much as I can and you might find what I've found useful.

Also, please realize that there is literally a ton of unbelievable information out on the boards. One thing you will learn very, very quickly is that Crossfitters find a way to train, regardless of how much dough they've got; I'm truly in awe of some of the imaginative things people have come up with as DIY equipment projects, etc.

Everybody works differently, so you'll find things a different way than I did. I looked through the FAQs on the main page, downloaded all the exercise videos, and watched everything I could; still do. Anytime I had a question, I ran a search on the boards. Ask a question if you can't find anything on a subject. Start getting a feel for what's out there and the things you can do with what you have. If you don't have the money for a gym membership or weights, do bodyweight exercises.

Here's the list of links that might be applicable to you.

Building an Olympic Body through Bodyweight Conditioning by Coach Christopher Sommer. This is an outstanding intro to two gymnastics exercises.

Drills & Skills. Total gymnastics resource. Look at the bottom of the link for info on how to make a set of parallettes, or download CFJ 13.

American-Gymnast.com. Go to the training tips section, register, then look at the parallette training guide. There is a ton of stuff here. The instructions for the parallettes may make more sense after you see a pair.

Pistol training. If you can do these, I'm in awe. Basically one legged squats, with your other leg kicked out in front. Very difficult exercise IMO, and this link provides a good progression. Adding a light (10lb) weight held in front of you can provide enough counterbalance to start figuring it out.

Can you do a handstand? Handstand pushup? Coach Sommer's handstand progression could be invaluable. One caveat: this may work for you, but the idea of backing my way up the wall freaked me out too much somehow (afraid I was going to fall backwards uncontrollably) so I forced myself to learn how to kick into the handstand against a wall. I feel more in control like that. Just my $0.02.

Beastskills.com is awesome. Includes a lot of info on handstands, flags, no handed one-armed chins (not kidding), and other fun stuff. He also has a maintenance section for how to avoid tearing calluses off your hands while doing kipping pullups which I will be using here shortly so I don't destroy my hands on today's WOD.

As far as equipment goes, check out Pierre Auge's instructions for slamballs here. There's another thread out there somewhere that discusses how to add some kind of light fill to the balls as well to make them tight without using as much air and not adding a whole lot of extra weight which could be pretty useful, but I didn't save the link.

Homemade rings aren't difficult to make, as Misha Bigos proved here. These are great. Look at the archives at the top of the page, and be sure to cap the PVC tubes tightly after you fill them with sand. They should be pretty floppy when you get them out of the oven. I made mine too big. Keep in mind that they're not going to be the same diameter was whatever you wrap them around; they'll be a good 1-2" bigger. Truck tie-downs can work as a strap, or climber's daisy chains and a carabiner like I use (though it leaves unbelievable bruises on your triceps).

Lincoln Brigham make these plyo boxes, which would be relatively inexpensive compared to actually buying them retail. If you have access to a shop, this could work pretty well.

If you want to build a bachar ladder, look here.

Jumpropes are a good accessories to have, though a good one from Buddy Lee can be a bit pricy.

Make a sandbag following instructions from this discussion.

Finally, here's a book (Never Gymless) which I do not own and know next to nothing about, so take it with a grain of salt. I think some of the other guys on the boards were speaking very highly of this author, but I can't speak personally. It's on my wishlist right now, though.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:47 PM   #4
Tim McFarland

Profile:
I have Never Gymless, and I think it's a pretty darn good book.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:27 PM   #5
Simon Benoit

Profile:
Thanks for all the advices. I'm already getting all the stuff needed to build my own Parallettes, Forearms roller & Sandbag. I'll mat the floor of the room next to mine, fix a pole through the door frame, etc.

The bench and barbells I own will be perfect for light to medium workouts. Heavy stuff will be taken care of using a weight adjustable homemade sandbag (50 to 200 pounds). Think I'll start reading too.

Thanks again.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:16 AM   #6
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Will that is an awesome consolidation of great information!! Will definitely bookmark this thread for use in future.

Cheers, kempie
Old 05-31-2006, 06:58 PM   #7
Joseph McCaffrey

Profile:
Will, let me add my thanks to Kempie's. You obviously put a lot of time and effort into pulling all that information together. It's greatly appreciated.

Stay strong, Joe
Old 05-31-2006, 08:19 PM   #8
Will Nuse

Profile:
No worries, guys; I'm just glad to help.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:59 AM   #9
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Salut Simon,
votre equipment que avez est capable de fair la job.
Ici www.mission-specific.com vous pouvez trouver un manuel d'instruction pour contruire un medicine ball, pour moins que $10 Canadien. Et ci vous-vous trouver un set de dumbbell vous aurez toute que vous avez besoin.

In English:
Hey Simon, you can carry out very effective training with what you've got. You can also find instructions at www.mission-specific.com for making your own medicine ball for less then $10 Canadian. And if you can find a pair of dumbbells you'll have everything you need.