CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-22-2005, 08:24 AM   #1
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
If you need a bar, BFS is having a sale. I was turned on to this by Lincoln Bingham in a thread about D-Balls...

"Hey, by the way, Bigger Faster Stronger is having a big sale on their lighter barbells. $89 for the 15 lb. Alumalite and $69 for their 30 lb. barbell. I've had both for quite a while and they are incredibly useful. I'm going to order 3 or 4 each."

I don't need 3 or 4 each but I jumped on the sale and got another Aluma-Lite bar (15 pounds), an Ultra-Lite bar (30 pounds) and a black standard weight Super Bar. They have some kilogram weight bumpers for sale (about a $20 savings) and as I struggled over that idea whoever I was talking to gave me $10 off a 10 lb pair and $10 more off a 15 lb pair. I topped that off with some more collars and now realize I need another plate and bar rack. I need a bigger gym.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:25 PM   #2
Erik Hagman

Profile:  
Thanks for the info Eugene. I've been thinking about getting a set of bumbers and bar for a while now, and this might just be the time.

What would you (or anyone else that has an opinion) recommend getting as a start up set for someone thats in fairly good CrossFit shape (say, can complete 80-90 percent of WOD's unmodified with decent times)? Specific bar, plates, etc.?

Any ideas or assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2005, 07:43 PM   #3
Grady McDonald

Profile:
Get the best bar you can afford. Purchase bumper sets in 10kg's, 20kgs, and get a set of training plates (5kg, 10lb). Pick up "Change" used. You're good.

www.bsolympicgym.com
www.ironcompany.com
www.chapmanpower.com
Old 07-27-2005, 10:02 PM   #4
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
I got the bars I ordered from BFS today. I already had an Aluma-Lite so I knew how good that one was, but the 30 pound Ultra-Lite bar is even better as it has a more solid feel. The black Super Bar has the most wonderful knurling and spin. If you have only been using the crappy bars that come with most weight sets, do yourself a favor and get at least one good bar. The smoothness and lively feel of the bar will add a few pounds to lift, reps to your set and for sure will make you smile broadly and often.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:26 AM   #5
Brendan Melville

Profile:
what is the reasoning behind a super light bar like that?
Old 07-28-2005, 07:12 AM   #6
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
The light bar is for learning the Olympic lifts for those of us who can't seem to do the OHS or snatch movement properly with any weight to speak of. It also serves women well in that I can put a full sized bumper plate on the bar for them to do SDLHPs, front squats or other lifts that they could not do with a full weight bar.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:10 AM   #7
Brendan Melville

Profile:
Ahh, I see now.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:23 AM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
A competition woman's bar is 15K (33lbs.) The bar diameter is also smaller than a standard 45lb/20k bar, making it easier to grip for ladies with small hands. Personally I like training with the standard bar, makes for competing with a woman's bar a walk in the park.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:48 PM   #9
Tim Weaver

Profile:
OK....I need some help justifying to my self why I should get an oly bar and bumper plates when:

a) I have your standard 1" spiral/spinning star-lock 15lb bar and 170 lbs in 1" cast iron plates, and which allows me to go up in 5# increments (2.5# plates)

b) I am currently only doing about 50# DL and the same in Push-press (beginner's workout), which is but a few pounds above a standard oly bar

So, even if I went with the 15# Alumalite bar, that would only "allow" me to use 4 10# bumpers (55#), but weight increases would be 10-20 pounds, not 5...is that too much?...but a 15# bar and 2 25# bumpers = 65, but next increase would be 15# + 2*25 + 2*10= 85, a 20lb pound increase.

What I am concerned about is that I have, in the past, tried to go too far, too fast, and end up hurting myself, which then means I stop for a while and, in the past, never started back up for a long time.

I am currently enjoying working out (a first for me apart from Kendo) and I don't want to mess that up.

I do believe in quality equipment, but it just seems I am trying to justify something that I may not need/be ready for.

Does any of this make sense?
Old 07-29-2005, 07:22 AM   #10
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I can easily fit four 10 KILO bumpers (22 pounds) plus some change plus collars on that bar, which comes to way over 100 lbs.

If you want to hurt yourself, try to save a bad overhead lift from hitting the ground because you're afraid the iron will mess up the floor.