CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-29-2009, 01:47 AM   #1
Stuart Brauer

Profile:
Critique of 17block Paleo Diet...FitDay included

http://fitday.com/fitness/FoodLog.ht...ate=1233100800.

There is the link to a typical day's Paleo meals. I weight around 170lbs, 5'11, sub 10%bf.

I tried sticking around 17 blocks, but I give more leway with the block prescriptions now that I do strictly Paleo.

Iam currently training for a CrossFit competition at CrossFit Huntsville and just wanted a critique on my diet.

I'd like to lean out a lil bit more, but not sure which macros I need to alter to do so.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-29-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: Critique of 17block Paleo Diet...FitDay included

If you want to lean out more, eat less. I did your block calculation and it came out to 15.3 = 16 blocks using 9% BF. So eat 1 less block with strictly paleo food and the weight will come off. Although why would you try to lose weight when your BF is sub 10?
Old 01-29-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Dude, sub 10% bf is going to negatively affect your performance. Decide what your goal is; aesthetics or performance.

Can't see your fitday.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Stuart Brauer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Dude, sub 10% bf is going to negatively affect your performance. Decide what your goal is; aesthetics or performance.

Can't see your fitday.
I've heard that from certain nutrition seminars, however alot of the top CF'ers definitely appear to be lower than 10%bf. Performance is definitely my goal, however I feel that I could be leaner and still be increasing performance.

Sorry the FitDay link won't work..here it is again, just in case.

my fitday

if that still doesen't show up, here were my totals (all paleo foods)

Total
Cals

Fat

Carb

Protein

Today is an off day for me, so I am going to try to go as low carb as I can. For instance my breakfast today only included my normal 4 eggs + 8 blocks of almonds (24). I am going to try and keep the high protein/high fat/next to zero carbs all day and see how I feel.

Question, if one is going very low carb, just stick to the 3 blocks of fat per deleted carb??? Or is there a certain percentage that I should aim for. For example, todays breakfast I just described was shown as 8%Carbs, 65% Fat and 28% Protein...does that seem optimal for a low carb/high protein/high fat meal????

Thanks again
Old 01-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
Stuart Brauer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
If you want to lean out more, eat less. I did your block calculation and it came out to 15.3 = 16 blocks using 9% BF. So eat 1 less block with strictly paleo food and the weight will come off. Although why would you try to lose weight when your BF is sub 10?
I appreciate the advice. Take a look at the reply I just posted above and give me your two cents. I've checked out your posts and you seem to have a pretty good handle on the nutrition side of things! Thanks again
Old 01-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
Stuart Brauer

Profile:

bummmpppp
Old 01-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
Joe Bernard

Profile:

I still can't see your fitday, make sure you made your account public or else it will not come up. Anyways, stick to the 3 fat blocks per 1 carb block sub. There are no optimal %'s for each macronutrient, everyone is unique and will require different percentages. As far as low carb goes, there is no definitive answer. I've seen it described as less than 100, 75, 50, or 30. Most, however, generally view less than 100grams as being low carb, which is easy to do if you eat only vegetables and some fruit. Your breakfast is definitely low carb/high fat, and moderate protein.

I try to keep carbs low on off days as well, somtimes I never get it above 30grams. I feel good when I do it, although I can't keep it up for a long time. Nevertheless, it's surprising how you feel on eating low carb.

From what I've heard, many say that you will perform optimally at a BF level higher than you want. I would say get your BF% tested because at sub 10%, getting leaner and improving performance just doesn't seem doable. However, you can give it a shot since it's your call. Establish your BF%, then your goal %. It would be interesting if your performance increases as you drop BF%. I haven't gotten my BF% tested in forever, but I am definitely in the 9-10 range and if I go any lower, my performance suffers.

As long as you keep eating paleo food, you will lean out, but you will most likely lose some muscle since your BF is sub 10%.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
Stuart Brauer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
I still can't see your fitday, make sure you made your account public or else it will not come up. Anyways, stick to the 3 fat blocks per 1 carb block sub. There are no optimal %'s for each macronutrient, everyone is unique and will require different percentages. As far as low carb goes, there is no definitive answer. I've seen it described as less than 100, 75, 50, or 30. Most, however, generally view less than 100grams as being low carb, which is easy to do if you eat only vegetables and some fruit. Your breakfast is definitely low carb/high fat, and moderate protein.

I try to keep carbs low on off days as well, somtimes I never get it above 30grams. I feel good when I do it, although I can't keep it up for a long time. Nevertheless, it's surprising how you feel on eating low carb.

From what I've heard, many say that you will perform optimally at a BF level higher than you want. I would say get your BF% tested because at sub 10%, getting leaner and improving performance just doesn't seem doable. However, you can give it a shot since it's your call. Establish your BF%, then your goal %. It would be interesting if your performance increases as you drop BF%. I haven't gotten my BF% tested in forever, but I am definitely in the 9-10 range and if I go any lower, my performance suffers.

As long as you keep eating paleo food, you will lean out, but you will most likely lose some muscle since your BF is sub 10%.

Appreciate the help. It's weird today with the whole go AS LOW carb as possible. Normally I would shoot for low carb, an apple or two, cucumber, a carrott, ,2 cups of broccoli and that would be it for the carbs. And I normally always felt that slight urge for more carbs.

But today, I almost go cold turkey (i have half my meals for the day in already and I'm only at 22c coming from almonds/cashews/egg yolk and I dont feel hunger pains at all! It's weird, i figured today was gonna be hard as hell, but it's been really easy. Since it's my off day i'm naturally tired and beat down from the past 3 days of training but I'm gonna give this same type of meal pattern that I did today a shot tomorrow when I get back to training and see how it goes.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
Stuart Brauer

Profile:

fixed the fitday profile, made it public

Yesterday

Ultra Low Carb Today, so far
Old 01-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #10
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Still can't see the fitday...weird. For training days, you want to eat more carbs so that you replenish your muscle glycogen. It's fine on rest days to eat really low carb, like the amount you are eating today, but up the carbs on training days. Nothing drastic, just more. Like maybe two more pieces of fruit. For example today I ate four eggs, three slices of beef and an ounce of almonds for breakfast. PWO I had alot of grapes, around half a plate or so. Dinner will be a salad with chicken and broccoli and olive oil. On rest days I eat max two servings of fruit and the rest of my carbs come from vegetables. So nothing drastic, just more than rest days. If I go less than 50 grams of carbs for a week or so, I get the urge to eat more carbs. As long as you keep the sources of carbs paleo, you will be fine.