CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-20-2006, 09:42 PM   #1
John Enyeart

Profile:  
About two and a half years ago, I snapped the neck of my femur in half. I had to get surgery done and got a plate and two big bolts put in there to hold everything together.

Tomorrow I'm going in to get the hardware taken out, and although this surgery is much simpler than the original, I will be on crutches for a short time (the doctor said I should be able to walk right after the surgery, but wants me on crutches just to be safe), and will have to keep heavy weight off my leg for a little bit after that.

I've been doing Crossfit for a little over a month now, and I love it! I want to keep doing it, but obviously I won't be able to follow any WOD's that include squats, cleans, jerks, etc. So I was wondering if anyone had any advice on putting together a workout that will keep me going. I have access to a pool (and the doctor said swimming would be fine), so I can use that to do things that will keep my leg strength up.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any input. Thanks a lot!
Old 07-21-2006, 09:50 AM   #2
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
I would be in that pool as much as possible and ask your doctor about doing squats in the pool. If you can keep your range of motion while the bone is healing, you will be way ahead of the game. Out of the pool just work you upperbody stuff; pullups, pushups, situps, etc. Look at some of the girls and complete everthing except the squats or if possible do the workout by the pool and jump in the pool for the squat portion.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:11 PM   #3
John Enyeart

Profile:  
Good ideas, Jerimiah! Thanks a lot!
Old 07-22-2006, 06:35 AM   #4
Elliot Royce

Profile:
John:

For what it's worth, I had both my hips resurfaced and that leads to a temporary higher risk of femoral head fracture. So I would imagine my protocol would have some relevance. I was told not to lift anything heavier than 50lbs for 6 months. For the first 6 weeks, nothing more rigorous than walking and stretching. After that, body weight and light weights.

I did a lot of pool work. That was great because a) you lighten the load and b) you slow down the movement and prevent unintentional high impact.

It sounds like you don't need such an extended rehab but I suspect the lesson I learned of not trying to do too much too soon still applies. Your body will heal itself and you will be better placed to hit it hard when you've healed up.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:44 AM   #5
Skip Chase

Profile:
Push-ups, pull-ups, dips, sit-ups, back ext., HSPU.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:27 PM   #6
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
There are several threads here on the board, and an entire CFJ, dedicated to working out around injuries/surgeries. They cover both upper-body-only and lower-body-only workouts. Take a cruise around the board, or better yet, try the search function. Lots of good info.

Hope the surgery went well.