CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-10-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
David Aguasca

Profile:
I've looked around on this board, and i've come to the conclusion that to gain weight, i have to add fat to my diet in the way of nuts, seeds, oils, and (possibly) milk. i just recently started to eat nuts and seeds as snacks, and add olive oil to whatever dish can absorb it.

i eat mostly paleo with occasional legumes (and chocolate, i have to admit). i never checked out how many calories i used to eat before i added the nuts and oil, but now i'm eating about 3,000 a day.

this is where it gets tricky: i'm very thin, with low %BF (never tested it...but i have pretty good muscle definition). i work as a stage carpenter in an unheated shop. work days are between 6-8 hours, pretty physical, lifting and such. the temperature in the room i work varies between 25-35 F. i dress warmly but my feet and hands are usually pretty cold. i figure i'm probably burning a lot more calories, due to the physicality of the job, and the cold temperature.

i recently started a strength program (haven't done a metcon workout in almost 2 months now) which is 3 days a week. i squat every workout and then do gymnastics training. with my job, it's about all i can do without overtraining.

all in all, does 3,000 calories sound like enough? i'm going to continue with that, and see what happens, but i'd also like to you input from all y'all.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:53 PM   #2
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I would say 3000 is a good starting point. If you don't gain any after 2 weeks, bump it up to 3500. Repeat this process if no progress is made.

Be sure protein intake is fairly high, I'd start at 1 g/lb/day and adjust upwards as needed.

Be sure you get enough sleep.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:04 AM   #3
Paul Symes

Profile:
David

I'm in the same boat. I'm also doing the squat 3 X week program (Mark Rippetoe's novice program) along with a high calorie high protein diet. I'll just do it until I reach a decent weight and then get back on more healthy paleo/low carb ways and hope I can maintain from there.

3000 sounds like a good starting point. I would guess that with your active job you'll end up upping that before long. I used to have a desk job and even then I had to eat 4000+ a day to gain weight.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:12 AM   #4
David Aguasca

Profile:
Chris,
i'm working on the sleep thing, and i'm already taking a little less than 1g/lb/day. it's good to know i'm almost on the right track.

Paul,
I guess i forgot to add something in to my original post. i have a pretty small appetite, and it's definitely the reason i don't gain weight easily. i doubt i've ever eaten over 3,500 in one day. reaching 3,000 has been a struggle...i have to stuff myself to bursting every meal. to get to over 4,000 a day, did you just snack often? have many small meals?

thanks for the responses, guys.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:22 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
eat protein every meal 5-6x a day...lift heavy...and your metabolism will skyrocket and leave you hungry...hence most people need 4000+ calories a day to gain muscle while staying lean. Fun trick the body plays on you.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
Paul Symes

Profile:
David,

I have a small appetite too. I'm sure peoples metabolism does vary but I have a feeling that appetite might be the real difference between us skinny guys and everyone else - just an inkling mind.
There are some easy ways to bump up the calories. A handful of nuts - 200 cals. A couple of apples - 200 cals. 2 tbl spoons of olive oil on the veg - 200 cals things like that. I used to have a myoplex with oats and olive oil blended in for breakfast - that's a 1000 cals to get each day started. Usually I spread the load across the day and only eat the really carby stuff in the 2 hours following training.

Have you read John Berardi's Massive Eating Parts 1 & 2, if not the links are below:

W&F safe
http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutr...sseating_1.htm

http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutr...sseating_2.htm

http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutr...ating_rl_1.htm

http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutr...ating_rl_2.htm

Paul
Old 02-11-2007, 05:07 PM   #7
David Aguasca

Profile:
excellent, thanks!
Old 02-11-2007, 11:13 PM   #8
Stephen Solano

Profile:
Do you guys use the zone block method for counting the cals? I started the John Berardi, embarrassingly to say, Scrawny to Brawny method approximately 4000 k/cal per day. A lot of food.