CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2010, 06:08 AM   #1
Simon Edmundson
Member Simon Edmundson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Longhborough  UK
Posts: 52
Paleo Protein Bar Ideas

Decided this morning that I wanted to make some protein bars up to take to my 4 hour lectures instead of bags of nuts. I try to eat very low carb however, I don't mind milk and creams.

Recipe:

400g Ground almonds
200g Chocolate whey
100g Dried dates
2 Hand fulls of whole almonds
50g 90% coco chocolate melted
1 tin coconut milk

Mixed the whole lot together :stir: and left to set in the fridge (30min freezer time to get it going). Scraped the bowl clean and it tastes amazing. Can not wait to try one once it has set and been divided.

Anybody got any other recipes that would be worth trying?

Si
__________________
Forging Elite Loughborough Fitness
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:20 AM   #2
adam adkins
Member adam adkins is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lexington  KY
Posts: 761
Re: Paleo Protein Bar Ideas

Paleo Protein Bar Recipe:

1 lb grass fed beef
Cut beef into 1 inch by 3 inch "bar" shapes
Grill to desired temp.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #3
Keith Roxo
Member Keith Roxo is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Reno  NV
Posts: 12
Re: Paleo Protein Bar Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
Paleo Protein Bar Recipe:

1 lb grass fed beef
Cut beef into 1 inch by 3 inch "bar" shapes
Grill to desired temp.
Nice, dude. Nice.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
Richard Allen Pagel
Member Richard Allen Pagel is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston  TX
Posts: 151
Re: Paleo Protein Bar Ideas

Not paleo
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:50 AM   #5
Sam Walker
Member Sam Walker is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: London  Surrey UK
Posts: 88
Re: Paleo Protein Bar Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Allen Pagel View Post
Not paleo
Can I bump this thread to get some slightly more constructive replies? I'm thinking about something similar to the OP. What's not paleo about the recipe?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:12 AM   #6
Doug Blankenship
Member Doug Blankenship is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas  NV
Posts: 1,306
Re: Paleo Protein Bar Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Walker View Post
Can I bump this thread to get some slightly more constructive replies? I'm thinking about something similar to the OP. What's not paleo about the recipe?

200g Chocolate whey
50g 90% coco chocolate melted
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
David Weber
Member David Weber is offline
 
David Weber's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Baltimore  MD
Posts: 77
Re: Paleo Protein Bar Ideas

If you want a paleo protein bar, I recommend homemade jerky! There's a great recipe on the boards for "angry jerky" that I just took the salt out of and it works for me. As for a tasty bar (more fat than protein), I've been making these for a while and they taste great:

* 3-4 Tbsp coconut oil
* 1/4 cup carob powder or cocoa (optional)
* 1/2 cups ground nuts (almonds, hazelnuts)
* 3/4 cups dried shredded coconut
* 1 Tbsp or more to taste honey (optional)

heat the oil and honey in a saucepan, then add the almonds, cocoa, and coconut. Stir it all up and dump into a small rectangular tupperware container and put it in the fridge to harden. It's a good tasty fat, but not much protein.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #8
Scott Tredennick
Member Scott Tredennick is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Orlando  FL
Posts: 118
Re: Paleo Protein Bar Ideas

A good one that I love to make are paleo energy balls, in a food processor mix a half a cup of almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, hazelnuts, and pecans, take the nut flour out of the processor and then blend up about 6 dates and shredded coconut, put them all together and add ground coffee and cacao and mix it all up with coconut oil, form into little balls and throw them in the fridge and presto! Easy to bring on the go energy balls, I'm sure the recipe would work well with chocolate protein instead of cacao powder! Beware if your on a diet though, these little balls are delicious, easy to overconsume and very calorie dense
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
Greg Mulligan
Member Greg Mulligan is offline
 
Greg Mulligan's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Munising  MI
Posts: 138
Re: Paleo Protein Bar Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tredennick View Post
A good one that I love to make are paleo energy balls, in a food processor mix a half a cup of almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, hazelnuts, and pecans, take the nut flour out of the processor and then blend up about 6 dates and shredded coconut, put them all together and add ground coffee and cacao and mix it all up with coconut oil, form into little balls and throw them in the fridge and presto! Easy to bring on the go energy balls, I'm sure the recipe would work well with chocolate protein instead of cacao powder! Beware if your on a diet though, these little balls are delicious, easy to overconsume and very calorie dense
Whoa! This sounds too good to be true. Is there any way to do this or something similar to this without a food processor?
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
Scott Tredennick
Member Scott Tredennick is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Orlando  FL
Posts: 118
Re: Paleo Protein Bar Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mulligan View Post
Whoa! This sounds too good to be true. Is there any way to do this or something similar to this without a food processor?
not sure, any ways possible that will puree the dates, and grind the nuts into flour.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High Convienience Protein Cooking Ideas? David Smith Nutrition 12 02-03-2009 01:42 PM
Need ideas for pull-up bar from rafters Sara Schroeder Equipment 8 09-23-2008 05:12 PM
Paleo pre workout ideas Justin Leigh Nutrition 10 07-16-2008 05:51 AM
Paleo Diet Breakfast Ideas Kristi Lees Nutrition 10 04-05-2005 03:34 PM
High Bar Ideas Tony Young Equipment 2 08-19-2004 09:49 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:18 AM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.