CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-09-2009, 01:23 AM   #1
Sam Walker

Profile:
Exercises for squatting flexibility needed

Hi there. New to Crossfit and the forums. I come from a mixed exercise and fitness background of regular gym, rowing and triathlon training.

I'm interested in Crossfit and currently researching the concepts and reading up on the (few) criticisms (which seem to focus on the randomness of the workouts -which I don't have a problem with, and the high reps of Olympic lifts, which I might).

I'm also trying to get in good enough shape to start the WODs. My areas of weakness are pullups and squats.

The Pullups are coming along and I think are just a question of putting in the work (and not trying them after deadlifts - where did my grip go?)

The squats are my main concern.

I was always taught not to go past parallel and now I think my muscles may have shortened.

I cannot go down into what a PT called a "third world squat" without falling over backwards. While I can squat past parallel, I'd like to improve my flexibility before working on balance, technique and strength.

Are there any good exercises or stretches for resolving my problems?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:11 AM   #2
Jordan Bellamy

Profile:
Re: Exercises for squatting flexibility needed

When I first learned to get the control and flexibility in my hips I used a barbell overhead and just worked into a good deep overhead squat. At the bottom I would use a little PNF stretching and clinch my glutes and hips tightly and then relax. Start slow and work your way into a good deep squat. Take your time on this because, as you know, its important. The important idea here is to be stable and strong down at the bottom. If the barbell is too much then use a broom or some PVC pipe or something. Good front squats may also help you get down into a deep squat.

Furthermore I frequently use a simple joint mobility exercise I picked up from a seminar with Pavel. Squat as deep as you can and extend one leg out - toes up. You should end up with one leg bent in the squat and one leg straightened out to your side. Your weight distribution will obviously be more on your bent leg - about a 60/40 to 70/30 distribution. Now imagine you are kicking out your heel and elongating your hamstring. You should feel a good stretch. Make sure your bent leg's knee remains pointed in the direction of your toes. To change sides simply push off your bent leg, keeping your butt as close to the floor as you can, and transition into the other side. Repeat four or five times, hold each as long as you like/need.

Hope this helps you in some way.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:53 AM   #3
Sam Walker

Profile:

Thanks for the in-depth help, Jordan. I've not heard of PNF stretching and am reading up on it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Bellamy View Post
I used a barbell overhead...Good front squats may also help you get down into a deep squat.
Is there any reason an overhead squat is more beneficial in getting flexibility? I only ask because I have had a go at these, and can do a rough approximation but feel I need to master deep front and back squats before moving on to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Bellamy View Post
...a simple joint mobility exercise I picked up from a seminar with Pavel. Squat as deep as you can and extend one leg out - toes up. You should end up with one leg bent in the squat and one leg straightened out to your side. Your weight distribution will obviously be more on your bent leg - about a 60/40 to 70/30 distribution. Now imagine you are kicking out your heel and elongating your hamstring. You should feel a good stretch. Make sure your bent leg's knee remains pointed in the direction of your toes. To change sides simply push off your bent leg, keeping your butt as close to the floor as you can, and transition into the other side. Repeat four or five times, hold each as long as you like/need.
This sounds useful. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
Mark Markley

Profile:

Something else that has helped me is doing overhead squats facing a wall. Get as close as you can to the wall, and focus on not hitting the wall with your face. This makes you focus on keeping your weight back on your heels and pulling your butt to the floor, rather than just letting gravity do the work.

I think the balance needed to do an effective OH squat is important in the overall squat motion. I've found that this has helped me in many motions.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:19 AM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Here's a good article on the TWS: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...irdworld_squat (it's t-nation, not really wfs)
Old 09-09-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
Brett Dartt

Profile:

just keep squatting. you'll get there. i havent met anyone who could do it to full depth right away.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
Sam Walker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Markley View Post
...overhead squats facing a wall. Get as close as you can to the wall, and focus on not hitting the wall with your face. This makes you focus on keeping your weight back on your heels and pulling your butt to the floor, rather than just letting gravity do the work.
I will give this a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Here's a good article on the TWS: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...irdworld_squat (it's t-nation, not really wfs)
That's a helpful article. Thanks. The first steps are what I've been doing already really - just working on going lower with no weight without falling backwards. Unfortunately I think it's going to be a while before I can get to stage 2, "At some point you'll be able to drop into a shallow third-world squat without the assistance of an object to hold onto. Congrats, this is your first benchmark".

Still, "slow and steady wins the race", I guess.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:10 AM   #8
Scott Dyck

Profile:

I used to have this clip of Eric Cressey doing this stretch but I can't find it. This is close: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE-bzrcjUDQ (WFS)
Basically, you just grab onto your toes and while holding on, try to pull yourself down into a perfect squat position. It will readily identify your tight and weak areas. I do it every day now, and it's really helped fix my inflexibility issues and gotten my squat much deeper.
Hope that helps.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #9
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Cool article. T-Nation does have some good stuff sometimes. And this pic is too damn cute:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image012.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	5073  
Old 09-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #10
Sam Walker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Dyck View Post
I used to have this clip of Eric Cressey doing this stretch but I can't find it. This is close: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE-bzrcjUDQ (WFS)
Basically, you just grab onto your toes and while holding on, try to pull yourself down into a perfect squat position. It will readily identify your tight and weak areas. I do it every day now, and it's really helped fix my inflexibility issues and gotten my squat much deeper.
Hope that helps.
Thanks a lot Scott. That looks like a really good stretch.

Is this the vid you're talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6KnrUtdle4 (WFS)