CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-25-2007, 11:04 AM   #1
Michael Brewer

Profile:
Any one with experience eating vegetarian? I call myself "mostly vegetarian" - I avoid red meat and poultry but will have maybe one meal a week, one or two meals a week of fish, and one or two meals a week with egg. The rest of the time I derive protein from soy milk, tofu, seitan, some cheese, and nuts.

Currently my total intake is about 25% Protein, 50% Carb, and 25% Fat. My concern is that bringing my levels into the 30,40,30 suggested range would be tough without incorporating refined protein sources such as soy protein powder. Without getting off topic and going into a discourse about vegetarianism and the surrounding hippie implications (I'm not I swear!), does anyone have any suggestions that I might want to incorporate into my diet plan?
Old 03-25-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Here is some interesting reading

Safe unless you are a tofu farmer ;)
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/vegetarian.html
Old 03-25-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
Jesse Woody

Profile:
"does anyone have any suggestions that I might want to incorporate into my diet plan"

...ummm...add meat?

The Zone has modifications for vegetarian diets, though it's a whole crap-load of tofu and seitan to eat, with the resultant possible downsides weighing against that road in my opinion, but to each their own. I say pick up "Mastering the Zone" and see what you can learn from there.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:03 PM   #4
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
michale, I agee with Jesse. I was a swron vegan, vegetarian and everything in btwn--from macrobiotic to raw foodist for 13 yrs. it took quite abit of convinveing but when I added the meat and animal protein and reduced/eliminated the refined carbs but body weight SHRANK substantially. I increased my performance immensely through the same duration. I went fro a girls size 12/14 to a size 6/8 from Aug 06-Feb 07. I think the numbers speak for themselves!

I tottaly cut out soy too amd I feel much better as well
Old 03-25-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
I forgot to add that I turned 45 during that time and perimenopausal too! The hardest time for a woman to downsize! And build stregnth I mught add
Old 03-25-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
If you choose to eat soy, only eat fermented soy products--tempeh, miso, natto, fermented soy milk, wheat-free tamari, etc. If you are going to eat a lot of nuts and seeds, it's suggested that you soak them for 8-12 hours first (then dry them and keep them in the fridge, not for too long or they will get moldy, do relatively small batches) in order to improve their digestion and help remove antinutrients.

Since this is a self-chosen issue for you, you may want to look at how much animal products you're willing to eat (I do suggest ditching any cheese or other dairy, unless it is absolutely unheated, and then in small portions at that) and then fill in the rest with the non-animal sources.

It can be very difficult to get as much protein as I feel is optimal for intense exercise on a "mostly" vegetarian diet without "refined" sources. Upon closer inspection, most of your current protein sources are "refined" already (tofu, seitan, and soy milk are all "refined" soybeans, not really much different from soy protein). Thus, you have already violated your desire not to eat "refined" foods.

If you understand what I'm getting at, you may find that adding hemp protein, flax protein, or pea protein may not be as objectionable as you originally thought.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
Michael Brewer

Profile:
Kevin, I read through the entirity of the link you provided. Many strong points were made with good scientific backing. However it is hardly a sound scientific reading as it includes many personal opinions and observations by the author. Additionally, many points are made that are not fully developed and do not address many of the possible work arounds. A good read that provokes thoughtful discourse, and yet another example of why one must do one's own research and why one's research will be never ending.

The conclusion of the essay addresses the primary reason I chose to become mostly-vegetarian: factory farming. Free range, organic (i.e. no hormone injections) meat is hard to come by.

Gosh, there are so many points of argument I want to address now! However, I don't feel crossfit forums are the place to do so. I'll just leave it at that.

Garrett, why do you suggest that I eat only "absolutely unheated" cheese and dairy?
Old 03-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #8
Kevin McKay

Profile:
It is possible to get grass fed hormone free organic meat mail order, if you are interested I can post some links.

Cheers
Old 03-25-2007, 08:37 PM   #9
Alona Smith

Profile:
I completely understand your problem as I don't eat very much meat either. As a matter of fact I used to be mostly vegetarian, as you are. I wasn't getting enough protein so I started incorporating some meat in my diet. My problem is that I don't really like it. And furthermore I don't like to drink the protein drinks. So, I still don't get enough protein, however my nutritionist did give me some ideas on how to get protein without meat. Mozarrella string cheese has about 8 grams of protein in each one, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, egg whites....anyway, some of the other tips on here were kind of helpful. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:06 PM   #10
Luke Hope

Profile:
I eat seafood but no other meat.

For protein I have heaps of tuna (about 120g tuna a day) and also cottage cheese (50g). I've also started to have a whey protein drink. My recoveries seem to be a lot better now I have the protein drink once a day.