CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-22-2007, 07:23 AM   #1
Victor Cruzeiro

Profile:
Very simple question here. I've long been a believer in the benefits of fish oil. I take the Kirkland capsules, but I've never been sure how much is a good amount.
I've searched the board but havn't found a clear discussion as to dosages.
I'm 5'10 & 170 lbs. What would be a good rule of thumb for me?

Thanks,
Victor
Old 03-22-2007, 07:26 AM   #2
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Here is a good thread on that

safe link
http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...read.php?t=272
Old 03-22-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Here is some good stuff from Rob Wolf of the performance menu.

"Sears recommends upwards of 20-30g of EPA/DHA per day for hard training athletes and folks with autoimmune issues. Obviously Poliquin recommends a pretty good sized whallop. I've run on ~10g/day for a long time. I certainly noticed an improvement in recovery and sleep in the beginning. I've been taking it so long now I'm not as aware of the effects. I may try bumping that up to 15-20g for a month or two and see what happens.

Too much? One can have excessive bleeding and bruising with too much, not sure how to track that other than some of the flow charts Sears offers regarding eicasanoid status...turds floating or sinking and stuff like that. There is also the EPA/AA blood test...which is quite spendy but Sears highly recomends it.

EPA/DHA-Ideal ratio. Interesting question. I'll run that by Cordain and see what he says. Ultimately most n-3, get converted to DHA...I think. I'm not sure if the EPA is a signaling agent and what roles it plays seperate from DHA...although DHA does appear to be the money shot, where n-3 fatty acids are concerned.

CLO-excessive Vit A&D?- Dave Werner and I talked about this a bit...and Art Devany had a bit on this topic. I think the potential for vit A/D toxicity is perhaps over stated unless one is doing very high doses of CLO. I'd just use it for some of the daily n-3's. Also it appears vit A needds are elevated with increased protein intake. Interesting stuff"
Old 03-22-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
Justin Scarsella

Profile:
I've been taking fish oil supplements, but 20 to 30 grams of fish oil seems crazy. The capsules I have are only 1000mg, so I should be taking 20 capsules a day. Is this right or am I missing a something?
Thanks for the info guys.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Justin,

It's actually even worse than that. Fish oil capsules are typically standardized at 30% EPA/DHA so that means your capsule only contains 300 mg of
EPA/DHA. That is the number I would be more cognizant of rather than your total.

The thread that Kevin pointed out is where you really need to go.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:55 AM   #6
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Justin,
The only fishoil supplement (in pill form) I've found that has good epa/dha content is biotest's flameout. I take 8 of those a day. I also take 4 1g fishoil and 4 1g clas a day as well. I have noticed a lot of good overall health improvements since following this regimen. I choose the pills because I can't drink the oil. I just can't stomach it.
The links are awesome.

All the best,
Arden
Old 03-22-2007, 09:41 AM   #7
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I may have gotten some mild Vit A toxicity from high vitamin cod liver oil. I was getting itchy and had some eczema type patches. Though it was really, REALLY cold (for Missouri) when this happened (high of 20F for a couple of weeks) so it could have been that. I cut it out for a few weeks, then went back on CLO at a lower dose (way high Vit A and D content in this stuff). I bought some Carlson's fish oil to be sure I was getting enough EPA/DHA, without having to worry about too much of the fat soluble vitamins.

So now I'm at ~5g/day of supplemental EPA/DHA. Who knows how much I get from whole foods in my diet... (2 cans of wild salmon, 10lbs of 75% lean grassfed beef a week)
Old 03-22-2007, 11:28 AM   #8
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Ok, I went to the above link and read through the whole thing. Im still lost. I guess I am looking for a clear answer and it seems that it might be there I just dont see it when I look at all those acronyms and fancy science speak. If I go and get Kirklands fish oil (300mg Omega-3) would 2-3 capsules per meal (9-10 per day) be a good place to start?
Old 03-22-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Best way to go imho is get the liquid and do 1-2 table spoons a day. Carlson's lemon is painless I even put it in smoothies, my family has publicly disowned me even the dog looks at me kinda funny but tastes fine and I don't get any fishy burps.

safe
http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product_d...6&categid=03a9

Old 03-22-2007, 12:06 PM   #10
Matthew McCarty

Profile:
An Article on T-Nation entitled "The Figure Program" by Chad Waterbury recommends

"Consume one gram of omega-3s for every 10 pounds of lean body mass per day."

For whatever that is worth.