CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-17-2007, 05:20 AM   #1
Greg Davis

Profile:
I don't like to drink liquids in two situations:
1) Close to a meal
2) In the evenings.

Problem that I'm having this doesn't give me much of a chance to get liquids in during the day. Any ideas on when is best to have water/tea so as not to dilute meals? I try to wait about 30-45 mins after a meal but I think this might not be enough time?
Old 03-17-2007, 05:32 AM   #2
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I know in the Body Ecology Diet, it recommends that no fluid be consumed within 15 minutes prior to or 60 minutes after eating.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:55 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Greg, I drink during workouts, after workouts, during meals and after meals. Could you drink, say green tea with meals? Half the stuff we do I don't really "like" (sprinting, running distance, not eating cookies, not drinking alcoholic beverages...well sort of) Most of training is doing what you don't really want to do. If there is a medical reason you don't want to drink at those times, slam in water on commutes, at work, and pre / during / immediately after workouts. If you just don't like it...force yourself, especially in the summer where dehydration could kill ya. This post may be a bit overboard but I deal with my teenager who uses the 'I don't like..." all the time. (End lecture)
Old 03-17-2007, 09:07 AM   #4
Greg Davis

Profile:
Larry- I don't like to only because it feels like it dilutes my meal digestion.

Chris- Does the BED say anything else about best times to consume fluids?

I'm thinking the best times are when you wake up before breakfast (ie. 15 mins prior to breakfast) and after a workout (but before a post-workout meal). And then if its a day where you have a lot of time between meals (or are fasting) its not really an issue.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Hopefully some one else can chime in (I'm visiting my folks for the next few days). If not, I will look it up when I get back.

What I personally do is drink water each morning until sated. 1 hour post meal, if I am at home I will drink 8oz of water + apple cider vinegar (with the mother). Otherwise I follow that 15 before, 1 hour after window and just drink when thirsty.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:59 PM   #6
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Could you share the downside to drinking closer to meals? I follow the drink some water when you are thirsty and some more when you are not plan. Never gave it much thought.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
Greg Davis

Profile:
I don't have any solid theory or reference but I have the impression that adding water into your stomach when theres food to be digested messes up the process down there. Makes it harder for your body to respond with the appropriate enzymes/bacteria or whatever you wanna call whats down there to digest the food.

Also I don't buy this drink small amounts often business. When I go portaging or hiking with friends they bring "camelback" water things that you can slowly sip water out of while yer hiking. Accepted public opinion is that you should be drinking as much water as often as possible, "8 glasses a day..etc".

If I think in terms of how our digestive system would have evolved, I doubt that we would have had access to water in such a linear way. Do carnivores drink water at the site of a kill?
Old 03-17-2007, 08:38 PM   #8
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
I know my dog drinks directly after eating each time but that is dry food. Actually I think I saw her drink after I fed her raw meat as well once.

Lately I have been mixing my water with a little juice or making tea a la Doc G's reccomendations and I have realized that I might have been putting a stress on my kidneys by guzzling so much water. Indeed I still drink straight water some now but the amount I was drinking before, well I just don't think I was absorbing it, and I had to pee constantly.

The water we get now is not "live". It is demineralized and might be difficult to absorb. Sometimes though it is beneficial to "push" water, to drink more than needed, like when one is sick to rid the body of the waste buildup accumilated from fighting off the bug. (learned that in my wilderness first responder class.)

Kind of off topic but is it true that there is no such thing as carnivores because all carnivores eat the entrails of their herbivorous prey, often before eating the rest of the abdominal cavity contents? (they often leave the muscle meats.)

(Message edited by nothing on March 17, 2007)
Old 03-18-2007, 03:04 PM   #9
David Wallach

Profile:
Greg, Yes, carnivores would prefer to drink directly after a kill/gorging. More inportantly though, water after a meal aids in carb digestion.

No, sipping is NOT how the human animal should drink, it does not trigger our natural hydration mechanism anywhere near as effectively as gulping.

Optimumly about 1 ml of water for every kcal is a good rule of thumb for the minimal end of hydration. A more appropriate level would be near 1liter for 20kg of bodyweight.

As far as hydration or food while training or competing:

Water: if you weigh noticably MORE after your training or race than you did before, you are WAY overhydrating and risking hypnotremia. Your body works best at a slight deficit, like a sponge that is still ready to accept more fluid, not one that is over saturated.

Break the consumption down in into once every 10 -15 minutes and gulp away at COLD water. Any animal anywhere anytime will opt for cold water before room temp. Sipping and warmer water sources add to sloshing and gastro intestinal distress that you will be better off without under tension.

Food: some protein and carbs must be consumed durring exteme events or long hauls. if you are out under the gun for more than 2 hours and up to 6 you will want at least 10% of calories to come from protein, but remember that any more than about 260-350 cals/hour is a recipe for disaster under tension. Eat just enough to keep from bonking and let the rest come from stored energy as bodyfat. It kills me when athletes do the math and say, 'I am using a thousand cals and hour, shouldnt i replace with equal cals?' HECK NO! That is what your stored energy is FOR. You cannot possibly assimilate that kind of calorie load per hour under tension no matter who you are.

um... does any of that help?
Old 03-18-2007, 06:53 PM   #10
Kevin Hughes

Profile:
My 2 dogs eat raw animal carcasses only. They only drink when they are thirsty, meaning that sometimes after a meal, they drink, most of the time they don't. However, we frequently put out the blood from whatever they ate out for them, and dilute it with water. They scarf that down without looking up, but I think that may be for the nutrients in the blood.