CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
Casey Raiford

Profile:
Re: WOD Generator - how would yours work?

M = metabolic conditioning/monostructural activity/etc. Running, rowing, swimming and so on.

G = gymnastics. Moving yourself through space without added weight. Pullups, dips, pushups, squats, etc.

W = weightlifting. Oly lifts and powerlifting movements. Press, squat and dead series.

The letters combine to describe WODs.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #12
Sam Walker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
You have not read the articles that you just said were "awesome."
Jebus dude, you got quite an attitude problem. I haven't said any articles are awesome, just the work of another poster. I have some articles printed out and ready to read tomorrow on a long train journey, but I sincerely hope they don't use some cliquey anacronyms to sound exclusive and all "emperor's new clothes" and instead clearly explain stuff instead. I'm fairly confident - there doesn't seem to be too much cliquey "BS" in crossfit proper.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #13
Sam Walker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
M = metabolic conditioning/monostructural activity/etc. Running, rowing, swimming and so on.

G = gymnastics. Moving yourself through space without added weight. Pullups, dips, pushups, squats, etc.

W = weightlifting. Oly lifts and powerlifting movements. Press, squat and dead series.

The letters combine to describe WODs.
Thanks for the clear help.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #14
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Walker View Post
Jebus dude, you got quite an attitude problem. I haven't said any articles are awesome, just the work of another poster. I have some articles printed out and ready to read tomorrow on a long train journey, but I sincerely hope they don't use some cliquey anacronyms to sound exclusive and all "emperor's new clothes" and instead clearly explain stuff instead. I'm fairly confident - there doesn't seem to be too much cliquey "BS" in crossfit proper.
Simply b/c someone does not choose to regurgitate what you can easily find by clicking the very first free link that was provided to you does not mean that I have an attitude. If you had looked at the articles in the brief time it took you to write the above post you would have saved time writing the above, saved me time writing this, and saved Casey the effort of having to regurgitate the info. to you.

Cliquey acronyms? Like "wtfayta?" If my gf was not 15 years younger than I, I would have said wtfayta myself. ttyl
Old 10-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #15
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

I would say MEOW but there are no girls here so please stop the cat fight. Just take each others help and move on.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:03 AM   #16
Jon Gregory

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Gritton View Post
I would say MEOW but there are no girls here so please stop the cat fight. Just take each others help and move on.
Ha ha....funny as!! Well said!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #17
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
I know there are a few about (I'd love links to any I haven't seen already) but how would your idea "WOD Generator" work?
Hi Sam,

Mine is at http://www.statisticool.com/weightedexercise.htm (safe for work, family, etc.)

Quote:
Programming is "random" I know but often there's a bit more of a pattern discernable in the "chaos".
For workout creation, I see it like this. As you go down the list it goes from deterministic to random:

1) purposefully select exercises to create known workouts (CrossFit proper)
2) randomly select known workouts (Hopper deck, Wodshop)
3) randomly select a batch of of individual exercises to create truly random workouts (mine, probably several others, a true CrossFit hopper)

But, for all choices, deterministic or random, one should have a goal (or two or three) in mind.

A lot of what I hear says that goals are incompatible with 2) and especially with 3) which is just not true, as one can intelligently randomize (and there are many methods of doing this).

Oh, also check out "Plandomization", by Greg Everett.

Justin
Old 10-19-2010, 08:07 AM   #18
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Z. Smith View Post
But, for all choices, deterministic or random, one should have a goal (or two or three) in mind.

A lot of what I hear says that goals are incompatible with 2) and especially with 3) which is just not true, as one can intelligently randomize (and there are many methods of doing this).

Oh, also check out "Plandomization", by Greg Everett.

Justin
That's exactly what I was going to refer you to. There's no reason workouts have to be random unless you're ok with random results. Some sort of intelligent progression makes a lot more sense once you get past the novice gains phase.

And the "CF template" from the Journal doesn't bear any resemblance to anything I've ever seen on CF.com.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #19
Eugene Goldashkin

Profile:

because im training more for strenght i always base my WODS around a basic lift, such as DL, BS,BP(yes i do bench), PU(strict usually, non strict i use as a secondary lift). Once i get my CF total over 1000lb i will most likly switch back to main page/affiliate programing.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:54 AM   #20
William F. Burgess

Profile:

Quote:
I started seeing a pattern with his posts, I decided to search all his previous posts. He is rarely helpful. He would rather spend more time reprimanding someone for not doing enought research(usually coupled with a snide comment or two) than trying to help out. Yet he is complaining about wasting time!

Just ignore him. As you see, someone else will actually post something helpful.

Last edited by William F. Burgess; 10-19-2010 at 08:57 AM..