CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
Benjamin Goodale

Profile:
Re: Exercises for squatting flexibility needed

try a pry squat, and check out ido portal's squat clinic on his blogsite.

also, stretching the hamstrings, glutes, and hip capsules (pike,pretzel, pidgeon, arm-of-the-couch stretch)

good luck.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:11 AM   #12
Sam Walker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Goodale View Post
try a pry squat, and check out ido portal's squat clinic on his blogsite.

also, stretching the hamstrings, glutes, and hip capsules (pike,pretzel, pidgeon, arm-of-the-couch stretch)

good luck.
Thanks Benjamin. I'll have a look at these.

Tried a combination of the advice in the T-Muscle article and the stretch reccomended by Scott yesterday, and feel I made progress.

If, by "shallow third world squat" T-Muscle means thighs just past parallel with arms and hands flung as far forward as possible without dislocation, then I have hit the first benchmark!
Old 08-19-2010, 08:00 AM   #13
Sam Walker

Profile:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm still struggling with this. I'm attending a basic gymnastic class once a week which I think is helping, but I can still feel myself "butt-winking" really early going down into a squat and all the trainers pick up on it straight away.

I've tried lifting my heels up on a plank of wood and the problem is greatly reduced.

Does anyone else ahve any advice or exercises I could try?

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:36 AM   #14
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"I've tried lifting my heels up on a plank of wood and the problem is greatly reduced."

Usually means you have inflexible calves/ankles. Stretch the achilles, do your warm ups without the blocks. DO your last warm up and work sets with them.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:43 AM   #15
Brent Eno

Profile:

Work on the squat like you've been doing,with your trainers, and after you are done, have one of them help you do this stretch-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iUOyuYhpGM WFS. You want to put your back as flat against a wall as possible(as upright as possible) and bring your feet as close to your groin as you can. But instead of pushing down with your own elbows, have the trainer face you and use his or her hands to push your knees down(SLOWLY). It won't take long to find your immediate limit. Once you do, have the trainer hold it there for about 5 seconds. After that, take a deep breath, and, as you exhale, have the trainer push a little deeper. Do this for about 30 seconds. THis will help loosen up your groin, and, when you combine this with calf, hamstring, glute, quad...stretches, you will eventually be able to squat properly.

Note- Towards the end of the stretch, when the trainer is relieving pressure and your knees are elevating, make sure it is done as SLOWLY as possible.