CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-22-2010, 02:25 AM   #1
Sam Walker

Profile:
What equipment for park-based CrossFit

I was thinking about approaching our local council with a view to them putting in some equipment in our local park.

It seems to me for not a great deal of money the council could really help those who want to get fit.

Stuff like rings, and pullup bars are fairly difficult to sort out living in a city without much spare room, but they're cheap in terms of a Council's spending power.

What other equipment would you like to see in a public space?
Old 03-22-2010, 06:03 AM   #2
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: What equipment for park-based CrossFit

Dip bars
boxes and obstacles of various heights
Old 03-22-2010, 06:30 AM   #3
Matthew Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Walker View Post
I was thinking about approaching our local council with a view to them putting in some equipment in our local park.

It seems to me for not a great deal of money the council could really help those who want to get fit.

Stuff like rings, and pullup bars are fairly difficult to sort out living in a city without much spare room, but they're cheap in terms of a Council's spending power.

What other equipment would you like to see in a public space?
A lot of councils do this already Sam, I know there are 2 in Liverpool (although the pullup bars in both are made of diamond plate which makes Kipping a nightmare on the palms) Dip bars will be much more realistic than rings, remember that we live in a H&S nightmare country so all equipment would have to be legit.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:00 AM   #4
Jeff Yan

Profile:

The most beneficial thing would be a pull up bar. If you could get a second pull up bar, it would help to have it set higher so that you can set up rings for muscle ups and ring HSPU.

Next would be something sturdy for you to jump or step up on. Picnic table/benches are good for this, but sometimes people get angry when you get your feet all over the park furniture.

Parallel bars would be okay too, but I think I'd prefer to have a jungle gym set up first, perhaps one with monkey bars. You could probably do dips on the monkey bars too if you don't mind climbing up there first. Even better would be a jungle gym that has ladder rungs that you can use as stall bars.

I've seen some park set ups with slant boards for sit ups. They don't seem to be the best use of space and money, but in an ideal world, you could propose to have a pair of slant boards oriented to face one another so that you can have medicine ball/sand bag toss sit ups!

Bring your own rings. Most people don't know how to properly use them, so unless they were super durable (made with chains instead of straps, which would probably make dips uncomfortable), they'd probably end up getting abused and destroyed by the public.

Any chance you could get your council to build a running loop, perhaps with a mini football pitch in the center?
Old 03-31-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Let me know how this pans out for you. I'm starting a park-based group program also and one of the first things I asked my local authorities was if it was at all possible to make additions ("gifts") to the park, such as this pull-up station (wfs). I've done the math and it would be about $600 + labor, a large chunk of which is just concrete. I am even willing to fund the whole damn thing personally because it's such a great asset to my services.

They basically said there was a huge process just to get permission to cut the grass, haha . I'm still gonna pursue it but I just know that it's going to be some sort of drawn out bureaucratic process that will take months to get approval for digging some holes and cementing a few posts. In the mean time I'm looking at more portable options, such as doing pull-ups on the soccer goals (attach rings or portable bars) and trees around the area, and maybe hauling in my own weights some mornings. Remember, people are paying mostly for your guidance, coaching, and motivation; you can provide great workouts with no equipment at all for quite some time if you plan it right, and often times this is probably preferable for many reasons.