CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-22-2010, 07:36 AM   #111
Jason Scheffler

Profile:
Re: Is Crossfit right about fitness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Like I said, I know I shouldn't go there but seeing as we're beating many a horse to death in this thread all ready...
Old 01-22-2010, 07:40 AM   #112
Sam Walker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Scheffler View Post
Oh I know I shouldn't go there but why should they quit asseting that? Baseball is two countries but they're the world champions, what do the winners of the NHL, NBA etc get to be called? If they can be called world champions when it's only two countries playing why can't CrossFit say they produce the worlds fittest?
Because anyone can enter the league and Baseball (and American Football and Basket Ball) has a definition that is consistent with the sport's execution..
Old 01-22-2010, 07:59 AM   #113
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Scheffler View Post
Like I said, I know I shouldn't go there but seeing as we're beating many a horse to death in this thread all ready...
If you're gonna do it, do it in a way that adds value. Makes no sense and adds no value to reopen the can of worms just to see that they're still worms.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #114
Departed

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Walker View Post
Because anyone can enter the league and Baseball (and American Football and Basket Ball) has a definition that is consistent with the sport's execution..
What? Anyone can enter? WTF are you talking about?
Old 01-22-2010, 09:20 AM   #115
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Chris,

THe point about the NFL, NHL, NBA, etc is that they are only in at most 2 countries. THat isn't exactly true. THe teams are hosted in only 2 countries, but the players come from all over the world. I believe that is the point he was trying to make, that infact the NHL, NBA and NFL are the best players in the world.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #116
Departed

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Chris,

THe point about the NFL, NHL, NBA, etc is that they are only in at most 2 countries. THat isn't exactly true. THe teams are hosted in only 2 countries, but the players come from all over the world. I believe that is the point he was trying to make, that infact the NHL, NBA and NFL are the best players in the world.
That still doesn't prove anything. CF is an international competition as well.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #117
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

With a fraction of the participation of any other sport.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #118
Thomas Legge

Profile:

Yes, but the winners of the world series claim to be something very specific, the best baseball team in the world. There aren't many that would disagree.

The winner of the games doesn't simply claim to be the best CFer in the world, but also the worlds fittest human. This is at best highly debatable.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #119
Sam Walker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gedicks View Post
That still doesn't prove anything. CF is an international competition as well.
Jebus! Here's hoping the 2010 Games has a wrong-end-of-stick grabbing event. How do you look at:

"Because anyone can enter the league and Baseball (and American Football and Basket Ball) has a definition that is consistent with the sport's execution..."

And decide a) I'm trying to dispute Crossfit's international? and b) to utterly ignore the more fundamental point about the definition and execution?
Old 01-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #120
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

One has to respect the one aspect that the Games have over pretty much any contest, except possibly Adventure Racing, is that the competitors really don't know what they will be doing, simply testing how well their training has benefitted them. A runner competing in a race knows that he has entered a marathon, 50 miler, 100 miler and trains for that race. A decathlete knows that there will be 10 specific events over two days. A football team knows who they are playing and for a set period with a possibility of overtime. A soccer match may extend on a bit due to injury/penalty (I don't follow soccer, so I am not sure of the term, just the concept).

The fact that the "sport" of Crossfit has this element of the unknown really makes it very interesting and exciting. How well will someone do based on the order of events, how well can they recover/eat/hydrate in a short time. This year so many people maxed the deadlift WOD after finishing a grueling trail run. To switch that sort of gear in such a short time is amazing. Then to have to perform tasks in a manner that one does not normally train...very heavy deadlifts every 30 secs, a max snatch in 10 minutes without the "formal" nature of a OLY meet (everyone lifts in order). It is amazing what the human body can do.

If your particular fitness forte is that of some sort of specialization and it works for you, that is great. More power to you. I personally have seen great results with this method and if people ask me how I got here, I will tell them about it. I do feel that this methodology works quite well for GPP, but if you want SPP then you may have to do something else or add something to this GPP-style program.