CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
Shaun wiegert
Member Shaun wiegert is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Wichita  Ks
Posts: 45
500m row

Hey guys and gals,

So what's a preset standard time for a first timer on the 500m row all out?
I did a 500 in 2 flat, then 30 wall balls, then I did a 500m all out with no breaks between exercises. The last 500 was completed in 1.39. I will tell you that I was running out of gas at the 400m mark and my time dropped from a 1.31 to a 1.39 estimated finish time. I was so winded I could barely stand up.

By the way I'm a complete novice in the gym

I did see that an 81 yr old from Colorado rowed his way to like a 1.27 record. Makes me feel really slow.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:23 AM   #2
Jeremy Green
Member Jeremy Green is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edwardsville  IL
Posts: 40
Re: 500m row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun wiegert View Post
Hey guys and gals,

So what's a preset standard time for a first timer on the 500m row all out?
I did a 500 in 2 flat, then 30 wall balls, then I did a 500m all out with no breaks between exercises. The last 500 was completed in 1.39. I will tell you that I was running out of gas at the 400m mark and my time dropped from a 1.31 to a 1.39 estimated finish time. I was so winded I could barely stand up.

By the way I'm a complete novice in the gym

I did see that an 81 yr old from Colorado rowed his way to like a 1.27 record. Makes me feel really slow.
1.39 is a pretty good time actually. Even more so if you haven't rowed often. How do you think you improved 21 seconds from your first 500m? What did you have the damper set to? You'll find your time will be a lot better once you get some technique down as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:30 AM   #3
Shaun wiegert
Member Shaun wiegert is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Wichita  Ks
Posts: 45
Re: 500m row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Green View Post
1.39 is a pretty good time actually. Even more so if you haven't rowed often. How do you think you improved 21 seconds from your first 500m? What did you have the damper set to? You'll find your time will be a lot better once you get some technique down as well.
Damper setting was 4. The first run was not an all out run. It was more leisurely. I just decided to set my own record early so I can see how many times I can break it. Literally 3rd 500m row ever in my life.i want to eventually get a 1.26. That is my goal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:07 AM   #4
Jeremy Green
Member Jeremy Green is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edwardsville  IL
Posts: 40
Re: 500m row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun wiegert View Post
Damper setting was 4. The first run was not an all out run. It was more leisurely. I just decided to set my own record early so I can see how many times I can break it. Literally 3rd 500m row ever in my life.i want to eventually get a 1.26. That is my goal.
If you search damper settings you will see lots of threads going over competitive times in addition to ways to properly set the damper. I believe 6/7 is the standard but I could be wrong.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
Stuart Carraway
Member Stuart Carraway is offline
 
Stuart Carraway's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Jonesboro  AR
Posts: 152
Re: 500m row

We usually set the setting at 5 at our box, but some practice higher then that. Different strokes for different folks. I would practice which setting fits best for you and then start there. Do short sprints at 250 and see how it affects you. I bet if you set it at a 6/7 and worked on technique you could get below 1:30. Rowing is also a mental game. You want to start off so fast, then you hit that wall. I can pull a 1:19 for the first 250m but end up rowing a 1:25. But if I played it correctly, then I could probably do better by not starting out so fast and be consistent.
__________________
“Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things.” - Joe Paterno
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
John Holcombe
Member John Holcombe is offline
 
John Holcombe's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Folsom  CA
Posts: 1,058
Re: 500m row

I think the last time I tried it I got about a 1:35. Rows for time are one of the most taxing things I've tried. One day we did a 2000m row. Took me 7:45 and I had to lay on the floor for a few minutes after recovering
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
Glenn Plomchok
Member Glenn Plomchok is offline
 
Glenn Plomchok's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Midlothian  VA
Posts: 539
Re: 500m row

I hear ya John...rowing takes it out of you for sure. We had a 9.11.2001 Wod last year with a 2001m row buy in, 9 movements with 11 reps each (many of them heavy) and 2001m cash out - the last 2000m row was BRUTAL

I don't know if I have ever tried for my fastest 500m time...my guess is it would be around 1:35 to 1:40. 4x500m with a minute rest in between are great for conditioning.
__________________
48; 5'8" 175; C&J 240 Sn 170, BS 330, FS 285, OHS 175
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
Lincoln Brigham
Member Lincoln Brigham is offline
 
Lincoln Brigham's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Kirkland  WA
Posts: 3,987
Re: 500m row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun wiegert View Post
Hey guys and gals,

So what's a preset standard time for a first timer on the 500m row all out?
That's hard to say. It all depends on your age, weight, height, and current level of [non-rowing] fitness. An outstanding performance for a 40-year-old, out-of-shape ex-gymnast would be a very mediocre time for a 20-year college discus thrower.
Quote:
I did see that an 81 yr old from Colorado rowed his way to like a 1.27 record. Makes me feel really slow.
What is your source for this record?

The recognized world record for that age group is actually 1:40.6.
http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rower...ht=All&=Search
Link is work/family safe
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
Shaun wiegert
Member Shaun wiegert is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Wichita  Ks
Posts: 45
Re: 500m row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
That's hard to say. It all depends on your age, weight, height, and current level of [non-rowing] fitness. An outstanding performance for a 40-year-old, out-of-shape ex-gymnast would be a very mediocre time for a 20-year college discus thrower.

What is your source for this record?

The recognized world record for that age group is actually 1:40.6.
http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rower...ht=All&=Search
Link is work/family safe
It's on c2's website somewhere. They have USA and world records and rankings
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Shaun wiegert
Member Shaun wiegert is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Wichita  Ks
Posts: 45
Re: 500m row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
That's hard to say. It all depends on your age, weight, height, and current level of [non-rowing] fitness. An outstanding performance for a 40-year-old, out-of-shape ex-gymnast would be a very mediocre time for a 20-year college discus thrower.

What is your source for this record?

The recognized world record for that age group is actually 1:40.6.
http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rower...ht=All&=Search
Link is work/family safe
I must have been remembering the wrong one. Still, I was only 2 sec faster than an 81 yr old.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First 500m Row Chris Murray Workout Logs 0 08-20-2010 06:10 AM
500m Row Patrick Donnelly Testimonials 5 06-24-2008 12:06 PM
500m row Kevin Burns Testimonials 6 03-21-2007 07:51 PM
500m row 1:28 Jeff Dale Testimonials 7 02-26-2007 02:05 AM
Sub 1:30 500m Row ... almost did it Michael A. Taylor Testimonials 1 03-24-2006 10:13 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.