CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-19-2010, 07:26 AM   #1
Matt Trussell

Profile:
Deadlift Technique ala Rob Orlando

Quick technique question for folks:

I increased my PR deadlift this morning by 10 lbs! Whoo Hoo! But in getting there, I got the bar above my knee caps and as I straightened my back I kinda leaned back, sorta supporting the bar with my legs, and then straightened everything out and locked out. I watched Rob Orlando’s VikingFest video yesterday and got the thought from that, I wasn’t intending on doing it, but it was obviously in my head and it happened to get the bar all the way up. His technique on the 500+lbs deadlift was more pronounced then what I did, he looked like he was sitting back in a chair and then straightened out. So my question is; is this legit? It kinda seemed like cheating to me afterwards, but I did get the bar from start position to finish position, does what happens in between make that much difference? Curious what others think of this. I’m not going to get in the habit, but I’m counting that deadlift for now and if it happens, it happens I guess. Unless someone convinces me otherwise.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Re: Deadlift Technique ala Rob Orlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trussell View Post
So my question is; is this legit?
Short answer: No.

Long answer:

Hitching like that is not allowed by the CrossFit Total rules or any powerlifting rules.

However, events like some strongman events and the '09 games deadlift event don't specify any rules for getting the barbell from point A to B and as such it would be allowed.

Personally, in a non-competitive environment, I would drop a deadlift before hitching like that due to risk of injury.

I guess it's similar to a press-out in the Olympic lifts, regarding whether or not you decide to count it as a PR. Some people do, some people don't. I wouldn't.

Last edited by Júlíus Magnússon : 03-19-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
Matt Trussell

Profile:

Ah, right, I do seem to recall reading something about motion of the bar going down on lifts, then it doesn’t count. I think that was with the shoulder press, if any time during the positive portion of the lift, the bar moves in the negative direction or stops moving, the lift isn’t counted. That makes sense, like I said, it felt like cheating afterwards, thought I’d get some other opinions. Thanks man, still at 365 then , oh well, next time I’ll get it legit.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trussell View Post
I think that was with the shoulder press, if any time during the positive portion of the lift, the bar moves in the negative direction or stops moving, the lift isn’t counted.
This is actually the case with all the lifts. Squats, presses (and bench presses) as well as deadlifts.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
Jason Scheffler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
This is actually the case with all the lifts. Squats, presses (and bench presses) as well as deadlifts.
Stops moving though? What if the lifter is just stuck, digs deep and pulls it off without going the wrong direction or hitching?
Old 03-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Scheffler View Post
Stops moving though? What if the lifter is just stuck, digs deep and pulls it off without going the wrong direction or hitching?
Should have dug deeper quicker. :P
Old 03-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
Jason Scheffler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
Should have dug deeper quicker. :P
True enough.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
Chris J Mason

Profile:

Hitching is not allowed in powerlifting competitions. It is a way of cheating the weight up by sliding it across the body. It reduces the stress to the target musculature and makes the exercise less effective.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #9
Joel Legard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Scheffler View Post
According to USAPL/IPF rules, the bar can stop, as long as there is no downward motion of the bar and you're not resting it on your thighs, the lift can still be good.