CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-20-2010, 04:04 AM   #71
Charles Applin

Profile:
Re: 2010 games scoring - impossible to catch up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Flamm View Post
The best solution to the scoring issues is simply to allow all qualifiers to compete in every event. There were only 45 men and 45 women; with intelligent programming and good organization, each athlete could have completed each event. I think they have all earned the right to do so.
This would seem ideal. The problem, like last year, is fairly judging 16 people is much easier than 45 people without doing multiple heats and simpler events. Still, I think the games organizers really wanted to have all 45 till the end. Then again, is it really necessary?

Please realize, CF Games are claiming that a pool of 3000 men that tried out at the sectionals, that led to the 500 regional, the 45 CF games (4 events), the 24 second sets, the 16 third set was a fair way to distill the most fittest man currently on the planet. That's pretty darn good considering you don't have a clue as to what to do until a couple hours ahead of the events.

Now, the next best thing would have been let all 3000 sectional members compete at the games for a more fair estimation of who's more fit. Sadly, that's just not feasible in the current set up.

So is the scoring of the games fair? Should the range be reset to account for the smaller pool? I don't think so as it doesn't punish those that score REALLY low when competing in a large pool of competitors (the better gauge of fitness after all).

However, I ran an experiment on spreadsheet: What if the average event score for a person's current rank AFTER a cut was used to offer points for that position from there on out. Reason being, it made sense that these guys were finishing in the exact same order among the 45 guys. It accounted for how a guy is 12th place at that point was doing so that should be the new score for 12th place after that. Most like the top 16 would not score around the top 45th place guy at the cut had he been allowed to play. If you look at the spread on the sheet you'll notice that the top 24 are not scoring badly on the individual events (maybe one of them scored a 39).

Anyway, how it's done is consider after the FOUR scored events was the first cut, so you divide by 4 for the average:

1. Graham Holmberg (18) - 4.5
2. Rich Froning Jr. (23) - 5.75
3. Matt Chan (24) - 6.0
4. Chris Spealler (37) - 9.25
5. Brandon Phillips (40) - 10.0

The thing is, well, places don't shift very much in the 24 person and 16 person events. In fact, the first seven places remain the same.

Here's the results of the final 16 if you weight the scores:

Competitor Orig Place Orig Scr New Place New Scr
Holmberg, Graham (1) 48 (1) 71.67
Froning Jr., Rich (2) 51 (2) 74.13
Spealler, Chris (3) 69 (3) 88.13
Chan, Matt (4) 73 (4) 94.96
Salo, Mikko (5) 77 (5) 103.79
Malleolo, Austin (6) 84 (6) 112.29
Smith, Ben (8) 93 (7) 115.17 +1 rank
Burke, Patrick (7) 91 (8) 116.17 -1 rank
Phillips, Brandon (11) 121 (9) 133.96 +2 rank
Hackenbruck, Tommy (9) 111 (10) 133.96 -1 rank
Mackay, Chad (12) 123 (11) 138 +1 rank
Warren, Joey (13) 126 (12) 139.75 +1 rank
Egyed, Peter (10) 117 (13) 140.88 -3 rank
Orlando, Rob (15) 134 (14) 146.71 +1 rank
Khalipa, Jason (16) 136 (15) 151.33 +1 rank
Kelsey, Moe (14) 130 (16) 154 -2 rank

Similar results happened with last year's too. What this can mean is the way they score the game is not only simple, but holds well under cuts. Yeah, the best is let every one compete till the end, but it's not essential to get the best CrossFitter or World's fittest man.

PS: The reason why the places are shifting is that the guys at 7th to 16th are competing at a very close level to those near them. ANY changes in how scoring is done will likely shift them. I think how I did it is fair as it takes into account how the players performed against 45 men as well as the final 16.

Here's the points per place for the final 16 using my method if anyone cares.

1 : 6.33
2 : 6.83
3 : 9.71
4 : 10.67
5 : 10.71
6 : 13.13
7 : 13.21
8 : 13.58
9 : 13.79
10 : 14.63
11 : 15.58
12 : 16
13 : 16
14 : 16.67
15 : 17.58
16 : 18.04

Last edited by Charles Applin : 07-20-2010 at 04:25 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:21 AM   #72
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Casiano View Post
Everyone seems to be focusing on big man vs. small man. Fair vs. unfair. Everything is rendered moot when you look over to the woman's side. Kris Clever is one of the smallest female competitors and one of the strongest at the same time. So does anyone want to dispute that she is in fact the fittest female?
She weighs less than 10 lbs less than speal.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #73
Jason Casiano

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gann View Post
She weighs less than 10 lbs less than speal.
And is 3 inches shorter. I'm only trying to point out that big girl vs. small girl seems to be less of an issue, since Clever showed she could handle pretty much any WOD you threw at her. So all the dudes saying that WODS favor one athlete type over another are not entirely correct. Everything is relative to the amount of training you put into it.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:19 AM   #74
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Casiano View Post
And is 3 inches shorter. I'm only trying to point out that big girl vs. small girl seems to be less of an issue, since Clever showed she could handle pretty much any WOD you threw at her. So all the dudes saying that WODS favor one athlete type over another are not entirely correct. Everything is relative to the amount of training you put into it.
proving my point lol
Old 07-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #75
Miles Libbey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina A. Burton View Post
So some people have suggested that after cuts the points should reassigned based on their ranking in each event compared to the remaining athletes. I copied the results to a spreadsheet and reassigned the points based on the top 16 competitors only. 1st = 1 pt through to 16th = 16 pts.

In the mens division the results would have been:
1.) Graham Holmberg (40)
2.) Chris Spealler (48) + 1 rank
3.) Rich Froning Jr (50) - 1 rank
4.) Austin Malleolo (57) + 2 ranks
5.) Matt Chan (60) - 1 rank
6.) Ben Smith (62) + 2 ranks
7.) Mikko Salo (65) - 2 ranks
8.) Pat Burke (70) - 1 rank
9.) Tommy Hackenbruck (77)
10.) Peter Egyed (79)
11.) Moe Kelsey (90) + 3 ranks
12.) Brandon Phillips (100) - 1 rank
13.) Chad Mackay (101) - 1 rank
14.) Joey Warren (101)
15.) Jason Khalipa (101) + 1 rank
16.) Rob Orlando (103) - 1 rank

Some changes, but Graham would have still won!
Are you sure -- I think this is the same scoring concept as my comment #18 -- here's the spreadsheet (WFS) with pretty different results:

new name score orig place
1) Spealler, Chris 40 3
2) Egyed, Peter 52 10
3) Froning Jr., Rich 56 2
4) Malleolo, Austin 57 6
5) Holmberg, Graham 63 1
5) Hackenbruck, Tommy 63 9
5) Burke, Patrick 63 7
8) Salo, Mikko 66 5
9) Smith, Ben 76 8
10) Chan, Matt 77 4
11) Kelsey, Moe 79 14
12) Orlando, Rob 92 15
13) Khalipa, Jason 101 16
14) Warren, Joey 103 13
15) Mackay, Chad 106 12
16) Phillips, Brandon 107 11

what accounts for the difference?
Old 07-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #76
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I disagree with the whole thesis that someone should be able to "come from behind" at the very end and make up for poor performances in the beginning. I hate competitions where, for television's sake, the first rounds essentially get ignored to always generate an exciting "photo finish" by stacking all the weight on the final event. It always seemed contrived and gimmicky.

Why shouldn't each event get the same weight? If one athlete has a wonderful series of performances and is running away with the competition, how is that bad? The logic escapes me. In team sports, touchdowns don't count for 2 points in the first quarter, 3 in the second, 5 in the third, and fifteen in the fourth so as to ensure every game will remain competitive until the final seconds because any team could come from behind.

In CrossFit, where we are crowning the fittest man and woman on Earth, the rationale behind having the various events all count the same is even more important. If the final event is a deadlift, should the powerlifter who can't do a double-under or a muscle-up win because he crushes that event? If the final event or events was given all or most of the weight, there would be an element of gambling injected into the Games: The goal would be just to survive the cut and pray the final event was something you were great at.

If someone wants to win the CrossFit Games, they need to be good at everything and do well on the initial workouts as well as the final ones. The scoring system needs to stay like it is.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:42 PM   #77
Nicolas Kizzee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Greene View Post

Why shouldn't each event get the same weight?

If someone wants to win the CrossFit Games, they need to be good at everything and do well on the initial workouts as well as the final ones. The scoring system needs to stay like it is.
You say that each even should be weighted the same yet you also say the scoring system should stay...

The way it is at the moment it is not weighted the same in each event. After every cut the points are worth less and less... Getting last place in event 1 is 48 points but after the first cut getting last only gets you 24 points..

One of the most logical ways to solve this is to rerank the scores after each cut
Old 07-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #78
Justin McCallon

Profile:

To the person that posted the spreadsheet: You're doing it the right way, but you miscounted the Max OH and Pistol Events. Spealler is given 3rd and Graham is given 15th in the max OH. I think you gave the MINs better ranks than the Maxes. You need to change it to be Descending in those events, so use a "0" instead of a "1." =RANK(D3,D$3$18,0)

BTW, assuming your numbers are correct, and just making the change from "1" to "0," I am getting different results than the other guy. I am showing the first 3 being the same, and then some changes after that.
Edit: Nvm I think a bit of your original data is wrong, and I guess you also need to fix the ranks for PU/OHS and T2B/GTO

Anyway, here is a long-winded explanation of what is going on, copy-and-pasted from the other thread:

So you have 4 athletes. You cut to 3 athletes after 2 events.
Abby - 1st both times (2)
Beth - 2nd and 3rd (5)
Catherine - 4th and 2nd (6)
Dorothy - 3rd and 4th (7)

Ok, so now you cut Dorothy. She's out. No more even considering her in anything. Now you reassign scores before the next event:
Abby - 1st both times still (2)
Beth - 2nd and 3rd still (5)
Catherine - Changes. Dorothy doesn't get considered, so she gets 3rd and 2nd (5).

So now the next event begins. There's only 3 competitors, and you rank them as you normally would and add their scores to their totals. The difference is that the earlier events don't have any more people because they are fixed to only consider those that advanced. So the next event is:
Catherine - 1
Abby - 2
Beth - 3

So that comes out to be:
Abby: 2+2 = 4
Beth: 5+3 = 8
Catherine: 5+1 = 6

Last edited by Justin McCallon : 07-20-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #79
Joe Mercurio

Profile:

I disagree in principle. The events should only have the same weight if the events are equal indicators of overall fitness. Unfortunately not all events are created equal. Taking the 09 games as an example:

The first few workouts were low-skill but tested a broad range (short & heavy, long & light). Of course a weakness exposed in one of those events should be more heavily penalized than a weakness during the hopper workout at the end. If you take a funneling approach to programming the games than it makes sense for the events and scoring to initially stratify the competitors and then fine-tune the results.

I also don't think changing the scoring system will make much of a difference. Like iterations, the more events that you have the less drastic any changes will be near the end. After 9 events it seemed fairly stable (+/- a spot or 2), which is why it seems that everyone's alternate scoring system is showing the same winner.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #80
Justin McCallon

Profile:

So, last year, the Deadlift event should be worth more than the Snatch event?

I can understand different events being worth less than others, but just because the events happened to come early doesn't mean CFHQ intended the event to be worth more or less than other events... This year, I don't see why the RHSPU event would be worth any less than the Muscle-up event...