CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-23-2006, 06:41 PM   #1
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
-Hey Team-

Diet pills have been a big talk between my girlfriend and i. She currently weighs in at a solid 125 standing at 5'5. She is in good shape, goes to the gym 5 days a week for 2 hrs(45 minutes weight training 3x12 for classic exercises, and does 45 minutes of your basic cardio on the eliptical or bike, i am just now starting to get her on the treadmill.) I personally think that 2 hrs in the gym is far to long seeing how it has the nuerological effects and it can have such a taxing effect on your body for going so long 5 days in a row. I dont think she gets enough rest between her workouts.

She doesnt really eat consistently healthy...i mean dont get me wrong, she eats 2 maybe 3 good meals a day (chicken and eggs) but then has a horriable snacking tooth. She hasnt seen any change in her body now for almost 2 months and feels she needs diet pills. In my opinion i think she just needs to look at her nutrition and exercise scheme. I have gotten her to do cf now a couple of times and she loved it...but she wont do it consistenly. She is in this zone where she just goes to the gym and does the same old routine day in and day out...

I think she needs to cut her gym time down a lot, and get more serious about her diet. She wants to go on diet pills to "help give her a jump start." I've tried explaining that diet pills are really geared towards someone who is over weight..and she is certainly not!

My question is, are diet pills a good idea for someone her size? or should she just consider changing her workout routine and diet routine?? help!

Old 04-23-2006, 09:50 PM   #2
Kemal Eren

Profile:
Diet pills are geared towards weak-willed consumers who are looking for a quick fix (no offense intended). I don't think they're a good idea for anyone of ANY size, because they are a short term solution. Even if they did work, which I doubt, they promote bad lifestyle habits (i.e. "Well, these pills work great. I can have extra dessert!") that will persist after stopping the pills. The fitness industry is laughing itself to the bank.

To (mis)quote Ghandi - she must be the change she wishes to see in her body. She needs to make the decision to cut the sweets and eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar (World-class fitness in 100 words). Also, more meals spread throughout the day would be a better idea than two or three.

Sounds like she's getting into a rut at the gym too. Why don't you introduce her to the WOD?

If she makes this change and still wants to take diet pills, I recommend fish oil.