CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-02-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
Chris Lampe

Profile:
I'm working on learning the power clean (using Starting Strength) and I'm having trouble figuring out how to adjust my grip for the next rep.

When I have the bar in the rack position I have maybe a couple of inches of my fingers under the bar with my front deltoids supporting all of the weight. I'm having a hard time transitioning my grip from the rack position to something strong enough to control the bar so I can lower it for the next rep (or jerk....when I get to that point).

I've watched the exercise video here and Sage does a little push-press type move to change grips. Is this feasible at a work-set weight? I've tried it with the bar and with 2 10lb plates and it's doable but not easy. I can't imagine doing it with 100 lbs much less my long-term goal of 200 + lbs.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
Cameron Mochrie

Profile:
I find a little bounce when I finish the clean is enough to get into a grip suitable to jerk or drop or whatever. Granted my overall technique is still pretty weak thats all I've found it takes. With more weight I think it's actually easier, as the accelleration of the weights will give a little flex in the bar while it bounces off your delts and backm giving you enough time to adjust your grip.
Watching the pros do it over and over again on youtube really helped me visualize the whole process.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #3
Guest2

Profile:

as cameron said, use a little leg/hip drive as you would for a push press or jerk to get the bar up off your shoulders just enough to push your hands deeper under it to get a solid grip. if you come up out of the clean/power clean quickly enough (as you should), you'll get enough pop of the bar to adjust immediately. you may also need to re-adjust as the bar is dropping; in other words, get your hands as deep as possible with the bar racked, and as you're lowering it, grip more tightly. Also, bend your knees/hips as you bring the bar down to catch it partly in the crease of your hips--don't try to stop it entirely with your hands/arms. once you get to 200lbs or so, that will prove difficult.

watch aimee adjust as she comes out of the clean:
http://www.performancemenu.com/resources/exercises/index.php?show=exercise&secti onID=2&exerciseID=76

3 pos clean--watch aimee 1) adjust immediately and start to drop the bar and 2) re-grip further as the bar drops.
http://www.performancemenu.com/resources/exercises/index.php?show=exercise&secti onID=2&exerciseID=70

finally - a power clean is from the floor, so even if you're doing doubles or triples, you should be dropping the bar between reps. if you're doing hang cleans or power cleans, or 2-position or 3 position cleans, etc., then you'll have to re-grip.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:16 PM   #4
Chris Lampe

Profile:
Thanks for the replies and the video links. Watching Aimee, I have to conclude that right now it's a flexibility issue. She is able to have the bar solidly on her hands and on her delts. With me, it's one or the other.

I hadn't thought about simply dropping the bar since I'm in a (first-floor) apartment. Maybe I should invest in a floor mat and try that.