CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
Will Patterson

Profile:
Linear Progression on the Press When to go to 2.5 lb. jumps?

So I am six weeks into the CFWF linear progression program (now called the 70s Big Strength and Conditioning program I guess), and things have been, well, progressing.

I did presses yesterday at 110 lbs. (up from 85 lbs. at the start) and REALLY had to work to get all three sets done. I got all 15 reps, but it made me question what I should do next week. Im not 100% sure Ill get all the reps at 115 I might, but Im about 50/50 on my chances. If I do miss, it will likely be one of the very last reps (based on how yesterday went).

My question is, how much should I go up next week? Is it better to:

a) make the 5 lb. jump and possibly miss a rep (then increase 2.5 lbs. the following week)

-or-

b) just go to 2.5 lb. jumps now and avoid missing a rep all together (hopefully).

-or-

c) Do I have it all wrong and I should reset back to a lighter weight if I miss a rep. (I really dont feel like I'm done progressing, just may be done with 5 lb jumps)

And just because someone always asks diet is 95% paleo, with a strong focus on eating as much as I can, sleep is good, I like my job, wife, kid, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:
Re: Linear Progression on the Press When to go to 2.5 lb. jumps?

Your best going to 2.5 if theres doubt about making your next jump. "Its easier to not get stuck then to get unstuck".
Old 10-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
Jared Ashley

Profile:

things like this are a tough call, and both methods would probably produce results so long as you work hard and remain consistent.

If you go by the SS protocol, you haven't missed until you either fail to make the first set of 5 or you fail 3 or more total reps (so 5, 4, 4 isn't a fail... 4, 4, 4 or 5, 4, 3 would be a fail). he does allow for micro-loading without a reset if you miss 1 or 2 reps, but doesn't appear to recommend it until you actually miss a rep.

So say you do 115 and get 5, 4, 4... then you could micro-load and go for 117.5 the next workout.

Say instead you get 5, 4, 3... then you'd want to try at 115 again. If you make it the 2nd time you'd move on to 117.5. If you fail a 2nd and 3rd time, you'd reset AND reduce jumps to 2.5 lbs. In either case, he'd have you go for 115 whether you thought you'd make it or not.

If I had to guess, I'd say rip is trying to keep you pushing as heavy as possible as long as possible, even if you miss a few reps, rather than slowing down progression in anticipation of missing a few reps. Seems like he figures the musclular failure will provide a good training adaptation once or twice, but if it happens 3 times in a row your body needs an extended time to recover, hence the reset.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
Paul Vanzavelberg

Profile:

d) add 0lb for one week

This is what I do when I fail even one rep.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaughnessy View Post
Your best going to 2.5 if theres doubt about making your next jump. "Its easier to not get stuck then to get unstuck".
^^This. That is how it is mentioned in SS.

They also say to always add weight to the bar no matter how small. A 2.5lbs jump per week is still a lot of lbs on the press over a years time.

If you add 2.5lbs and it goes flying up you can always go back to 5lbs jumps the next week. Press will not make the kind of jumps squats and deads make. 2.5lbs per workout is still progress.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier; 10-19-2010 at 12:49 PM..
Old 10-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
Daniel Higgins

Profile:

What is your height/weight? You're doing Paleo...so no Milk, Dairy, Protein supplement, or food binges?

One compromise might be increasing your calories (even if you thought it wasn't an option).
Old 10-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
Daniel Higgins

Profile:

Actually, just realized that if its just the press that's stalled, I guess that wouldn't imply you need more calories. How are the rest of your lifts? Recovering ok?
Old 10-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
Chris Mason

Profile:

How about this, switch to heavy inclines for 2 weeks and then return to the press.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
Troy Becker

Profile:

If you ever think, whoa I might not hit that weight next workout since today's workout was so close to failure, jump less or jump the time after next workout, or both. Once you get stuck it's a to get unstuck, best to avoid it.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:10 AM   #10
Will Patterson

Profile:

Goo. So theres at least one suggestion for every possible option. I dont know why I thought there would be some magic answer. But, a big thank you to everyone that took the time to respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaughnessy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
^^This. That is how it is mentioned in SS.

They also say to always add weight to the bar no matter how small. A 2.5lbs jump per week is still a lot of lbs on the press over a years time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
If you go by the SS protocol, you haven't missed until you either fail to make the first set of 5 or you fail 3 or more total reps (so 5, 4, 4 isn't a fail... 4, 4, 4 or 5, 4, 3 would be a fail). he does allow for micro-loading without a reset if you miss 1 or 2 reps, but doesn't appear to recommend it until you actually miss a rep.

So say you do 115 and get 5, 4, 4... then you could micro-load and go for 117.5 the next workout.
As far at the actual SS recommendations, Im seeing conflicting reports here. Kevin and Matt are calling for the 2.5 lb jump based on the book, and Jared says 5,4,4 is not technically a fail so go for 5 lbs. Hmmmm. (Ill sheepishly admit I dont have the book, just the DVD).

So, heres the plan: Next week Ill try for 115 - theres a chance Ill get it, and 5,4,4 would probably be a worst case scenario. Then, Ill go to 2.5 lb. jumps the following week to keep things moving forward. Seems reasonable to me.